IGNORED

I proudly give you all : Knight Kuest

Retro Lord

I present too you, the biggest game I've ever made:

KNIGHT KUEST

Are you ready for a fantasy adventure of a lifetime? If so, then put on your shining armor and grab your shimmering sword of justice and venture forth from your castle into vast and dangerous forests, life threatening caves and into the Castle of Doom where you must slay it's evil master: Nogard and rescue the princess from his claws.

CONTROLS:

Move the joystick left and right to move. Press the button to swing your sword. If you lose all your life you die. But don't sweat! If you make it to the next screen you recover 1 health!

ENEMIES:

Evil Knight - The elite warriors of Nogard. Once being brave and honest knights like yourself. But they are now under Nogard's curse.

Nogard - The evil dragon himself.

Goblin - The thieving scum of the world. The only good goblin is a dead goblin. They are not very bright and they are usually found in the countryside as highwaymen, thieving and murdering.

Lizardmen - These are the nasty enchanted hatchlings of Nogard. Half man, half dragon, all nasty.

Mousemen - These beings where once normal people now transformed into half men, half mice. The curse made them loose their minds, all thanks too Nogard.

AREAS:

The forest - Don't be fooled by the silence of the forest, dangerous creatures lurks here.

The cave - This will put your heroism and bravery too the test. Beware it's evil creatures and watch out for dripping poison.

Nogard's castle - If you made it this far you are truly a legendary knight! Beware the ceiling traps which poors boiling oil onto thy head.

OTHERS:

Each time you play the color of the environment will be different.

Enemies have random colors.

When the game is over press down on the joystick down to start a new game!

17 screens!

1080687692-main_zps0c8530e7.jpg

1080687692-top_zps5d67ab92.jpg

Namnloumls2_zpsb93fe5c4.png

Namnloumls_zpsfe866f47.png

Please report any bugs you may come across. And I'd also love too hear your reviews of this game. I've worked very hard on it.

Suggestions on improvements etc. Speak your mind =)

DOWNLOAD - Knight Kuest.bin

Edited by Retro Lord
  • Like 2

Found and fixed a game breaking bug.

Also added a totally unnecesary feature: You can kill the princess. Resulting in a game over.

My highscore is 62, who will be the first too best my knight, Sir Shiny McShine? And maybe even save the first princess?

Edited by Retro Lord
  • Like 1

I would suggest some music or more time for scene when princess is rescued.

Other type of attack mechanics for enemies.

The "water" dropping is amazingly easy to avoid and it's hard to see.

Some other ideas: maybe forks coming out from floor or pits to be jumped. The classical bat that attacks from sky. The unreachable enemy launching knifes.

This is looking really good. I like the previous suggestions, but I also have another that I think would make a big difference. The way you change colors after each iteration is nice, but I think it would look much better if you used different color tables for each area, like this:

post-9364-0-46683700-1421122482_thumb.png post-9364-0-29889500-1421122500_thumb.png post-9364-0-59277700-1421122526_thumb.png post-9364-0-46345700-1421122566_thumb.png post-9364-0-72818200-1421122540_thumb.png

Of course, how many bands would depend on how much space you want to use and if you have the cycles. You could still change colors after levels, but maybe instead of it being random, it could be a set of color tables. One stage could have darker colors or more blues for a moonlight appearance, etc.

P.S.

I think it's funny that you die if you try to kill the princess.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

nice work! The graphics are really nice, and the journey is communicated well through the visuals. I think it'd be more fun though if you had to occasionally be defensive... maybe make all the enemies shoot projectiles that are either low to the ground (press UP to jump over them), or head-height (hold DOWN to duck under them)... and if they have a "tell" that lets you know when they are about to shoot, you can actually have some more drama to the combat :)

right now you can just spam the FIRE button and run through the game pretty easily.

Edited by walaber

I'd suggest coloring the enemies based on class instead of using random colors. Each class of enemy should have a different attack pattern, power, damage, and color.

It would be cool if the dragon was green and breathing fire. Since there are no playfield objects in the horizontal region where the dragon resides, you could set the playfield color to orange/red/yellow and use the ball to draw the flame. This technique could be used for other enemies too on some screens.

It might be interesting to have to bring the princess back to the castle. She could follow you to the edge of the screen and then wait there while you clear the enemy on the next screen. As soon as the enemy is dead, she would come running up to you and follow you to the edge of the screen again. If the falling rocks hit her it could decrease your health or end the game.

• Like 1

Right. I've incorporated a lot of your ideas. Some changes are:

The Knights are now Black Knights, they are standard grunts that you have to fence with. This time you can't just button mash past them, they are actually really hard. So you have to look for the opening in his tactic or you will get hit.

New enemy type: Birds: Flying in fast from the right, you have too strike them down in a timed fashion, if your timings off you are in serious trouble.

Honestly I'm not to keen on the jumping idea of this particular game. But ducking might be cool.

I'll change up the dragon too. The princess idea was very cool, but I don't think I'll use it in this game. Maybe in the sequal. If I do a sequal.

Okay, are you ready for the new and improved Knight Kuest 2?

Updates:

You jump by pressing up.

Jump over the crabs.

Jump over the fireballs.

slay the birds, Black Knights and the dragon.

Multicolored backgrounds.

Here you go!

DOWNLOAD - Knight Kuest 2.bin

Please report bugs if you find any.

Edited by Retro Lord

I really like the new colors and enemies. This version is a huge improvement over the last. The jump could use some work though, it should allow you to move horizontally and the vertical speed should slow at the top of the jump and then speed up again on the way down. In other words, better physics would be cool. I'd still like to see the dragon breathing fire.

Yeah, I battled with how I wanted the jumping physics, personaly I prefer not being able to steer while jumping in this game since it would make things too easy. I found you don't really need precicion jumping other then straight up. I might add another jumping mechanic but I'm pretty happy with it as is. And the dragon, yes. Fire would be nice. I'll see if I can get around too it.