IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

Glad to see I'm not the only one with fond memories of this game. I also played/had Zelda II before the first one! Right around age 6 (in 1988), I remember seeing a shiny gold cartridge at my older cousins' house, and wanted to know more about it. They told me that it was special and I couldn't play it, and it was called The Legend of Zelda. They let me watch, but I couldn't play it. Man, I wanted this one BAD.

A few weeks later, I convinced my parents to let me buy another NES game to add to my fledgling collection. I went straight to the glass case at Child World and saw a gold box with the gold cart peeking through. Jackpot!

Yeah, it was Zelda II. :lol: It didn't matter; I loved that game and still do. With the help of a borrowed Nintendo Power, it was also the first Zelda game I ever finished. My original copy doesn't want to play anymore these days (corrosion on the connectors), but I have a million other ways to play it now.

How bad is the corrosion? If all else fails, a tiny bit of Brasso might help. I know people have polarized view points on it, but it worked worked on a few carts where all else has failed (granted, I probably have ruined a few so YMMV)

Zelda II is probably my all time favorite NES game.. even above stuff like the SMBs, Metroids, etc. Just saying :)

And 26 years after the first time I played it, I finally beat Zelda II tonight! :D I'll admit that I did have to use a guide to find the second to last palace and to find my way through the final palace, but even with the aid of a guide it was still one heck of a challenge. I loved every minute of it though and I know I'm going to play through the entire game again next year for sure!

On a more on-topic note, I got a couple more NES games in the mail from eBay today. Nothing too special, just a couple light gun game pickups for $4.99 shipped each.

DItuUxx.jpg

Hogan's Alley is probably my favorite light gun game for the NES (it's a tossup between Hogan's Alley and Freedom Force or Mechanized Attack, they're all great) and Operation Wolf is... well, it's alright for $5. It's not a bad port of the arcade game, just not terribly well suited to playing with the single shot Zapper. Operation Wolf is really the only light gun game I can think of that actually plays better with a joypad than a light gun, but it's still fun for a few minutes here and there in either case. :)

• Like 3

That is al lov

And 26 years after the first time I played it, I finally beat Zelda II tonight! :D I'll admit that I did have to use a guide to find the second to last palace and to find my way through the final palace, but even with the aid of a guide it was still one heck of a challenge. I loved every minute of it though and I know I'm going to play through the entire game again next year for sure!

On a more on-topic note, I got a couple more NES games in the mail from eBay today. Nothing too special, just a couple light gun game pickups for $4.99 shipped each.

Hogan's Alley is probably my favorite light gun game for the NES (it's a tossup between Hogan's Alley and Freedom Force or Mechanized Attack, they're all great) and Operation Wolf is... well, it's alright for $5. It's not a bad port of the arcade game, just not terribly well suited to playing with the single shot Zapper. Operation Wolf is really the only light gun game I can think of that actually plays better with a joypad than a light gun, but it's still fun for a few minutes here and there in either case. :)

Congratulations on beating Zelda 2~! I still have not, but it is my favorite Zelda despite that being an unpopular opinion. ^o^

That new Power Stick you got is lovely as well! :)

• Like 1

Bought today (JJGames):

NES:

Dragon Warrior

Tetris

SNES:

Street Fighters II

GENESIS:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Battle Squadron

All are carts only, but with good label and minimal wear on case.

PS2:

FInal Fantasy X (black label) CiB

Edited by AMenard
  • Like 1

That is al lov

Congratulations on beating Zelda 2~! I still have not, but it is my favorite Zelda despite that being an unpopular opinion. ^o^

That new Power Stick you got is lovely as well! :)

Aw, thanks Jinroh! I do feel like kind of a cheatyface for referencing a strategy guide to find my way through the last two palaces, but it was worth it to finally finish a game that's held such fond memories for me for decades.

The Power Stick came out great too and I'll definitely be putting it to good use when I start picking up some spaceship shooters as I slowly rebuild my old NES library.

On a side note, I feel bad that I haven't been able to keep up with the progress on Carrot Kingdom. You've been doing such an awesome job on it but I've been without a Harmony cart for much of the year so I haven't had a way to test out the more recent builds. It's definitely at the top of my "To Play" list when I get another Harmony cart at some point though!

• Like 1

A friend who lives about 40 miles away stated he found a 3DO in his local Goodwill, but for a price of 125 dollars. I decided to go there, on "Half-off Day," and try to get it, then. As I arrive at 9AM, I see it's not there. This disappoints me, as I continue to diddle around to the electronics area, which is what I usually do. As I am looking, I see a Sega CD logo amongst the other garbage. As I have a double-take, I udder an audible "WHAT?" and grab the item. It was a Model 2 Sega CD unit with a Genesis attached, and for only nine dollars, five since it's "Half-Off Day" This perplexes me, because someone who worked here had clearly known what a 3DO was, to price it so accordingly, while I was practically stealing a Sega CD with a Genesis attached. That day was a good day.

And, yes. It works.

• Like 4

Picked up Lego Dimensions Fun Pack: Power Puff Girls from GameStop. It had a yellow clearance sticker and was marked $5.97. It was in a display showing all clearance items as being 50% off the yellow sticker price. I asked the checkout person (I believe her name was Sage) if this item qualified for the 50% discount. She said it would if I asked nicely and then said she would honor it even if it rang up at the regular clearance price. So I got it for $3.30 including tax.

post-7900-0-26946900-1534190125.jpg

• Like 1

A friend who lives about 40 miles away stated he found a 3DO in his local Goodwill, but for a price of 125 dollars. I decided to go there, on "Half-off Day," and try to get it, then. As I arrive at 9AM, I see it's not there. This disappoints me, as I continue to diddle around to the electronics area, which is what I usually do. As I am looking, I see a Sega CD logo amongst the other garbage. As I have a double-take, I udder an audible "WHAT?" and grab the item. It was a Model 2 Sega CD unit with a Genesis attached, and for only nine dollars, five since it's "Half-Off Day" This perplexes me, because someone who worked here had clearly known what a 3DO was, to price it so accordingly, while I was practically stealing a Sega CD with a Genesis attached. That day was a good day.

And, yes. It works.

This about 8-10 years ago, but our local GoodWill had a model 2 genesis+model 2 Sega CD+32x for $19.99. Maybe it was a bit longer ago than that because it was before this shopgoodwill auction site nonsense started. Anyway, I was in line to claim the prize, and wouldn't you know it... Mr. Sumguy was in line right in front of me.

I have a setup like that now, but it tool awhile to get all of the parts, and I can tell you to bill was more than $19.99.

• Like 1

Don't want to sound dumb or anything but... Why not just buy a 1/8" to L-R rca cable at bestbuy and save the shipping from accross the Atlantic? It's what I do with mine...

It's just a cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing setup, having just one cable coming out of the system and not having to deal with dangling RCA plugs on the video cable end. :)

• Like 1

Came in today:

Playstation 2 Fat model, with two controllers, one is broken though so I'll have to open it up to see what's wrong with it. Externaly the PS2 is mint but judging from the fan it will need a good internal cleaning. Need to check a few video on how to crack one open.

I also won an auction for a mint PS3 80gig soft backward compatible model, tested of course. I ordered a controller from amazon prime since it doesn't comes with one. Would have prefered an original controller but they're harder to find new. I finaly bought a cheap silly anime based game to test it when it arrive.

So now that makes 5 consoles: NES, SNES, Genesis, PS2, PS3... Still one spot left in my rack... Trying to decide between a wii with it's GC compatibility, making it a two for one but the whole wii mote gestures control seems silly to me, or an N64, but I never owned one and don't know the library, or finaly saving my money and get the updated PS4 Or XBone even thout I only play at 1080p.

I love RPG, Action/Adventure, plateformers, arcade/shmups, strategy...

There are boat loads of rpgs for the PS2 and PS3. With a few exceptions, many are relatively easy to come by.

If you are really into JRPGs, the PS 4 is a better choice over the Xbox One (Persona 5 for example). If you are more into western style (Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc) either is fine, but depending on the game, there are more mods available for the Xbox One version.

You can save some cash and just get a regular PS4 or Xbox One and skip out on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. That said, both supersample and provide some frame rate benefits on a 1080p TV.

My personal opinion.. I didn't care for the N64. Tried it... have have sold it off more than once. I liked the GC though. I don't have a GC anymore, but I do use a GC compatible Wii. In GC mode, no motion controls there.

I say save your money and do some research on the system's libraries, see who's got the games for you. Also, a lot of Wii game support the classic controller, so time spent failing like an idiot can be minized if you pick one up.

I might not be the right person to ask though, as my solution for the last few years has been 'rearrange and modify the entertainment center to accomdate more systems'. I think now, at 16 consoles, 3 switchboxes, 1 cable box and VCR/DVD, I'm finally tapped out on space.

• Like 1

I say save your money and do some research on the system's libraries, see who's got the games for you. Also, a lot of Wii game support the classic controller, so time spent failing like an idiot can be minized if you pick one up.

I might not be the right person to ask though, as my solution for the last few years has been 'rearrange and modify the entertainment center to accomdate more systems'. I think now, at 16 consoles, 3 switchboxes, 1 cable box and VCR/DVD, I'm finally tapped out on space.

That is a ton of systems to have hooked up at once! How do you handle the power supplies? Do you just plug them in as you want to play the systems they go to or do you have a gargantuan power strip for them all?

For my setup I've got 6 consoles and a VCR all hooked up at once. Four of the consoles are connected to a composite switch box, one (the Atari 2600) is hooked up directly to the TV via an RCA to coaxial adapter, and the last one (the Wii) is connected directly to the TV via component. All the power supplies are plugged into a single Monster surge protector.

Speaking of the Wii...

Trying to decide between a wii with it's GC compatibility, making it a two for one but the whole wii mote gestures control seems silly to me, or an N64, but I never owned one and don't know the library, or finaly saving my money and get the updated PS4 Or XBone even thout I only play at 1080p.

I love RPG, Action/Adventure, plateformers, arcade/shmups, strategy...

I'd highly recommend adding a Wii to your gaming center, even if you're not into motion control in general. If you like first-person shooters or on-rails light gun shooters you may find pointing with the Wii remote to be the most precise and just plain fun way to control those kind of games there is. Playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Resident Evil 4, or any of the other small mountain of action/adventure shooters on the Wii that use the Wii remote to aim is an experience like no other.

When soft-modded with the Homebrew Channel the Wii also makes an outstanding emulation box to try out classic games before you buy them, for everything from the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision to the SNES and Genesis. It can emulate almost everything from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras flawlessly, plus the original DOS versions of Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom.

And as HoshiChiri mentioned, a Classic Controller is a "must have" Wii accessory. The same goes for the offical Wii Zapper and Nyko Perfect Shot gun grips in my opinion.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

That is a ton of systems to have hooked up at once! How do you handle the power supplies? Do you just plug them in as you want to play the systems they go to or do you have a gargantuan power strip for them all?

Gargantuan power strips :grin: Specifically one of these, and one of these, although mine is black outlets instead of white. I have a corner unit, so it's easier for me to take adavantage of 2 different wall sources. I have 4 switchboxes- an 8 input composite, a 3 input component, a 6 input HDMI, and an a/b coaxial switch. the coaxial has one side open & is mounted along the side of my shelving for easy access, so I can set up the machines that aren't' hooked up all the time easier. The VCR also has a cable extension on its hookup to allow me to pull the cable forward and swap it out for other sources, for much the same reason. The long power strip is well behind everything, but the Belkin is just under the front edge of my shelves, so I can pull it out to plug things in. (I keep an open plug on it for that reason.)

Well I went the PS4 way... I may get a Wii still but at a later time.

And I needed a new BluRay player anyway for movie and I don't want to use the PS3 for that to save wear on the drive.

Not a bad choice- don't forget to keep an eye on all the lil' boutique publishers- limited run, special reserve, signature edition, Play-asia, etc. There's a LOT of games with physical releases only available from one specific website on PS4.

• Like 1