IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

I haven't been doing much in the way of retro collecting since I got my Nintendo Switch back in February, but I'm slowly starting to get back into it and working on rebuilding my old Atari 2600 library. I made some great progress on it this week, along with a few new additions like Gremlins and the rather awesome Frankenstein's Monster (as well as a whole boatload of manuals) that I never had way back when. :)

yCSBQgS.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

The CX80 Trak-Ball is great!  Congrats on the pickup, this one looks like it didn’t get much use.

Thanks sramirez! The CX-80 is definitely the best trackball option for all things Atari, and this particular one was only used a couple times before I bought it and didn't have so much a scratch on it. The only complaint I could really make about the CX-80 is that the manufacturing tolerances for how the ball sits in the housing seem to vary a bit from unit to unit. I've owned two CX-80s over the years and my original one had a really tight fit between the ball and the upper housing, so the ball didn't roll very smoothly due to it constantly rubbing against the upper housing.

This new one I just got though was put together really nicely and there's a good 2mm or so of space between the ball and the upper housing, so it rolls nice and smooth. The downside of that is that sometimes the ball can jump up a bit during fast diagonal spins, so you've gotta be a little gentle with it, but it still feels much nicer to use than my old one. It works great for Millipede and Missile Command in joystick mode, and feels smooth as silk when set to trackball mode for playing the various TB game hacks. I got in a few games of Missile Command TB with it over breakfast and had an absolute blast. The CX-80 is a great bit of kit! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

@Jin I have two CX80s (1 NIB) as well.  Had to get a backup, because this is my favorite for 2600/7800 use.  My 1st one was pretty new and I don't recall ever experiencing any ball hop, but this does happen with my CX53 (5200) trak-ball controllers from time to time.  

The other day I was running around before work, running some errands, etc., when I saw a yard sale.  I drove an extra block and thought, 'Why not?";   Flipped a U-Turn...  Do you have any video games?"  I ask, "Preferably Retro"...The guys says, "Just this" and points to an XBOX, with a couple of controllers, hookups, and some odds and ends in a box including (home speaker) stereo wires, a few remotes for something Philips and Panasonic, an S-Video cable in a plastic bag (unused), plus a rechargeable battery pack for an R/C car...The console looked pretty dusty and beat up so I said, "That's OK" and began to walk away...Then he said "Five bucks...For All of it"...

Well OK...I'll have to clean it up and see if it works :)

• Like 2

Picked this one up on the cheap as it's a G&W I never had (by the time it was released in 1988, we had all moved onto SMS/NES).

It surprised me! It is totally "Super Mario Bros. in Game & Watch Land". As a late-stage G&W, it just obviously has much more gameplay design than the simpler early G&W stuff. It's pretty cool the imaginative ways they used the limited graphics layout to create different "worlds" and obstacles. If you haven't treid it I say give it a shot in Mame, which emulates it perfectly. It's very well made and worthy of the Super Mario Bros title.

smb.thumb.jpg.a3b9b3b9ccf554c2cf9985bb896b1d00.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up some pretty neat stuff for the Nintendo Switch! I got a copy of Atari Flashback Classics and a Flip Grip to play all the classic vertical screen games on the Atari & Namco compilations.

IeDfKEA.jpg

OmRAxZ0.jpg

I was also super duper stoked to snag a nice looking copy of Scooby-Doo Mystery for the Sega Genesis for $15 the other day. I really loved this game as a kid but wasn't down to pay the $35+ that most people seem to want for it these days, so I just waited patiently until a good deal eventually came along and this week it finally happened. :)

mq35Onr.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

I've always known of Zelda games but never cared to play them until BOTW came out, where I played Zelda 1 in anticipation. Now I'm ready to do a chronological zelda marathon, so I had to get these. For Zelda II I'll be using with the Switch Online version since I've heard it's continue system is harsh compared to Zelda 1's and I'd rather have the option to use save states if I feel I need them.

EDP2UuBX4AA7eIC.jpg

Edited by FireStar
  • Like 3

On 8/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, FireStar said:

I've always known of Zelda games but never cared to play them until BOTW came out, where I played Zelda 1 in anticipation. Now I'm ready to do a chronological zelda marathon, so I had to get these. For Zelda II I'll be using with the Switch Online version since I've heard it's continue system is harsh compared to Zelda 1's and I'd rather have the option to use save states if I feel I need them.

EDP2UuBX4AA7eIC.jpg

I can't wait for the Link's Awakening remake on the Switch. A Link to the Past is one I go back to every 5-6 years.  

Got my arduboy and it's related micro arcade siblings from the bundle finally today, I won't lie, I mostly got them for the novelty. My first impressions of the Arduboy maybe confirm this as well, the buttons aren't the most comfortable to use and the lack of a start/pause button seems limiting. Oddly enough, the micro arcades are a lot more comfy to hold, as they're a bit thicker and the buttons are less flush with the case.

EDkhnfKXYAAdTG4.jpg

• Like 1