IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

Didn't BUY today, but installed, etc. today:

Backlit GBC screen (Handheld Legends)

DSC-0322.jpg

This thing is amazing!  Looks wonderful, easy drop-in install with no soldering or case mod required.

I got a like-new quality red GBC on Yahoo Auctions just for this purpose, as it's my fav GBC color.

The first screen HHL sent got cracked somewhere along the way, but they sent me a replacement free of charge, though I insisted on paying the shipping.

My preferred way to play GB games is still a backlit/biverted original model Game Boy, but this is probably a close second.  Definitely nicer than my frontlit GBC (which is fine, but a little hard of the eyes).

SIO2SD (Lotharek)

DSC-0323.jpg

I was tempted to get the cased version, but I just wanted the cheapest way possible to get disk images running on my 800XL.  Works great, though scrolling through files on that LCD is a bit of a pain.  I'm going to look into setting up Configurator.  I enjoyed loading up the disk for Temple of Apshai Trilogy, which was the first game I ever played on a computer (on my brother's 800XL).

[Edit] Got Configurator installed and working, thanks so much @Philsan!(

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Philsan said:

BTW, how is Backlit GBC screen battery life compared to an unmodded GBC?

I haven't noticed anything significant in mine but I'm sure there's a difference.  At the end of the day anyway it's a meager two AA batteries. I have a number of eneloops charged and ready to go but so far I have yet to even swap it out. :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NE146 said:

I haven't noticed anything significant in mine but I'm sure there's a difference.  At the end of the day anyway it's a meager two AA batteries. I have a number of eneloops charged and ready to go but so far I have yet to even swap it out. :lol: 

I would not be surprised if it actually used less power than the old screen with the advancement of electronics since the 90s.

16 hours ago, Philsan said:

Thanks! Here are my original SIO2SD instructions: https://www.santellocco.com/atari/consigli-sio2sd.htm#english

BTW, how is Backlit GBC screen battery life compared to an unmodded GBC?

Thank you!

I've only used the backlit GBC for a few hours as my primary system is a backlit biverted OG DMG-01, but it seems pretty steady.

Handheld Legend ran some tests comparing current draw among the major backlight options:

https://handheldlegend.com/blogs/news/game-boy-color-backlit-lcds-voltage-and-current

Here's another test comparing some of the options (same site but tested by a different person):

https://handheldlegend.com/blogs/news/freckleshack-vs-mcwill-by-jellybelly-customs

- He claims here that the BennVenn screen gives around 12 hours of battery life (compared with estimated 20 hours of stock GBC), and according to the first link above, the HHL backlight is slightly more efficient than the BennVenn, so maybe a bit longer battery life.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 5:56 AM, 4300 said:

20191118_165333.thumb.jpg.0164fdbf17edd21cc305d45e55adaa4a.jpg

Big box o famicom games

I loved collecting Famicom games,  but...Well, the real question here is;  How many are tile games (Blechhh!)?  Unplayable pachinko games (Errrff!)?  And finally,  Are half of those games Baseball (Like in Every Famicom Lot I ever bought)?  I F**king hate Baseball!  :lol: 

1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

I played this on the Xbox one x and it was great!

If you liked the Xbox version then you'll love the Switch one. Every level was redesigned from the ground up and vastly improved, there's now a 360° user controllable camera on the right thumb stick, there's a much more detailed and brand new storyline, Lucky's controls have been seriously tightened up, and there's a ton of new content as well. New Super Lucky's Tale on the Switch really makes the Xbox One original feel like an unfinished prototype, so definitely pick it up if you've got a Switch and $40 to spare. :)

34 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Great score on Thunder Force IV (I refuse to call it Lightening Force)!

Thanks man! I spent about 4 hours playing it for the first time today and it is a pretty darn great game! I think I still like Thunder Force III a bit better, but I can definitely see why IV gets so much love. The presentation is fantastic and it's a really lengthy and challenging game. My only complaint about it thus far is the massive difficulty spike on the brick wall that is Stage 8, but practice makes perfect! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Great score on Thunder Force IV (I refuse to call it Lightening Force)!

I'll call it Lightening Force! ALL HAIL LIGHTENING FORCE! ?

I have a great deal of nostalgia for that one- I still have the copy my parents bought for the family Genesis back when I was 9 (CIB, even!) It was only a couple years ago I learned it was part of a series- so naturally I need the rest! I've picked up 2&3, still need 5 & a way to play ps2 imports for 6.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HoshiChiri said:

I'll call it Lightening Force! ALL HAIL LIGHTENING FORCE! ?

I have a great deal of nostalgia for that one- I still have the copy my parents bought for the family Genesis back when I was 9 (CIB, even!) It was only a couple years ago I learned it was part of a series- so naturally I need the rest! I've picked up 2&3, still need 5 & a way to play ps2 imports for 6.

The force must be reduced! Lighten it! We are Lightening Force! :lol:

I had actually never played it at all until a couple days ago when I got my copy, but Thunder Force III had been my favorite shoot 'em up on the Genesis for years and I knew that the sequel was really highly regarded as being right up there with M.U.S.H.A. as one of the best spaceship shooters on the system, so I decided to put down the money and give it a try. 

It took me about 7 hours of practice spread over 5 attempts, but I just beat Lightening Force for the first time last night and wow what a game! It was really tough compared to Thunder Force III, but the graphics, music, and level design were all fantastic. I still like Thunder Force III a bit better overall, but there's no doubt that Lightening Force absolutely rocks in the presentation department. I think this song in particular is going to be stuck in my head for a very long time:

Now the only Genesis shoot 'em ups I still want to get copies of are M.U.S.H.A., Thunder Force II, Truxton, Phelios, Elemental Master, and Vapor Trail. I might have to settle for a repro of M.U.S.H.A. though, given how much mint label carts of that one are going for these days.

• Like 2

Well only a few new items added recently for me. I finally got my big box physical release for Ion Fury for the PC from 3D Realms on Friday. Saturday I had another MIDI sound module arrive for my PC setup from Japan. (Edirol SD-20), and then today I happen to know that my physical release of Xeno Crisis for the Genesis came but as it required a signature and I was not home of course being at work, I will have to take my lunch time tomorrow to go pick it up form the PO.

• Like 2