IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Ya, you where working on becoming a lawyer last time we spoke a few years ago. Glad that all worked out and you are where you planned to be.  I told Roman you where on here right now. If you have not spoke to him yet, I'm more than sure he would like to hear from you.

I PMed him thanking him for my lovely "new" profile pic LMAO.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, cvga said:

My brother gave that game to me for Christmas 2018. I really enjoyed it. It certainly has an old-school feel to it and it didn't take me forever to complete it.

I am enjoying the game so far.

• Like 1

I picked up a Tremor Pak for my N64 today.  With tax it was $4 US.

Update:  You know, some games make great use of the rumble paks - and some are just bad design.  It's definitely a case of less is more: just have the rumble pak shake once in a while - where you crash a car into a wall or get shot in a shooter.  Having the thing constantly rumbling because you're driving a car on a dirt track is just annoying.

IMG_20200508_201014188_2.jpg

Edited by ls650
  • Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 11:09 PM, homerj said:

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve bought a TG16 Mini, Darksiders Genesis (Switch), an AtGames Legends Flashback (on clearance at Walmart for $11.00) & a charger for my Vita. 

Where'd you get the TG16 mini? I friggin want to buy one but Amazon says December. :lol:  Did you use the jap Amazon?

Long build-up ahead to my purchase:

Spoiler

PC-compatible/MSDOS is easily my favorite gaming platform of all time, there are just so many amazing games on there.

I've been content to play DOS games on DOSBOX up until recently, when I started to get annoyed at the way speed is handled (a lot of DOS games break above certain speed CPUs, and DOSBOX has no method for setting an exact CPU speed), so I then set up a 386DX33, 486DX44, and Pentium 133 in PCem.  This is a fantastic solution as you can get the exact performance intended for each game.  However, DOS games just do not play well with LCDs imo.  Because they run at 320x200, you have to scale the image to 320x240 to maintain the proper aspect ratio, which introduces scaling artifacts into the image, and then scale up to your native resolution.  In order to maintain a proper aspect ratio and ensure that there are no scaling artifacts, the only solution is to introduce interpolation to smooth pixel edges.

I really dislike this, so I made the decision to but a machine just for DOS gaming.  I have a nice CRT VGA monitor already in storage, as well as a Roland MT-32 and SC-55, and some CH flight sticks.  I really wanted to get a 486DX66 (or Pentium 133 which can be "converted" to a high end 386 or low end 486 by disabling caches), but these machines are selling for a premium on Ebay now, and since I'm living in Japan I can't just go to a junk store and pick up old MSDOS-era hardware.

What I purchased:

I went on Ebay and found a seller in the Ukraine who specializes in selling compact "industrial" PCs converted into DOS gaming machines.  The one I ordered was a 900Mhz Celeron with a genuine ISA Sound Blaster installed.  I am hoping I can disable the cache to get it down to a high end 386, or possibly use a throttling TSR to play some of the more CPU speed-dependent games.

Once it arrives and I have it all set up (and hopefully working!) I'll put some pics up. :)

Edited by newtmonkey

5 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

Long build-up ahead to my purchase:

Hide contents

PC-compatible/MSDOS is easily my favorite gaming platform of all time, there are just so many amazing games on there.

I've been content to play DOS games on DOSBOX up until recently, when I started to get annoyed at the way speed is handled (a lot of DOS games break above certain speed CPUs, and DOSBOX has no method for setting an exact CPU speed), so I then set up a 386DX33, 486DX44, and Pentium 133 in PCem.  This is a fantastic solution as you can get the exact performance intended for each game.  However, DOS games just do not play well with LCDs imo.  Because they run at 320x200, you have to scale the image to 320x240 to maintain the proper aspect ratio, which introduces scaling artifacts into the image, and then scale up to your native resolution.  In order to maintain a proper aspect ratio and ensure that there are no scaling artifacts, the only solution is to introduce interpolation to smooth pixel edges.

I really dislike this, so I made the decision to but a machine just for DOS gaming.  I have a nice CRT VGA monitor already in storage, as well as a Roland MT-32 and SC-55, and some CH flight sticks.  I really wanted to get a 486DX66 (or Pentium 133 which can be "converted" to a high end 386 or low end 486 by disabling caches), but these machines are selling for a premium on Ebay now, and since I'm living in Japan I can't just go to a junk store and pick up old MSDOS-era hardware.

What I purchased:

I went on Ebay and found a seller in the Ukraine who specializes in selling compact "industrial" PCs converted into DOS gaming machines.  The one I ordered was a 900Mhz Celeron with a genuine ISA Sound Blaster installed.  I am hoping I can disable the cache to get it down to a high end 386, or possibly use a throttling TSR to play some of the more CPU speed-dependent games.

Once it arrives and I have it all set up (and hopefully working!) I'll put some pics up. :)

hindsight sure is a bitch....we all assumed the 'backwards compatibility' factor would not be a problem or that 'noone would ever want to use that old DOS software again'....we never thought back then that someone would want our old 'piece of shit pre-pentium' computers...I can't begin to tell you how many of these I've personally stripped, demolished and shitcanned over the years (job demanded it, not always a choice - but it was in the hundreds) every time the company would upgrade software that would in turn require endless hardware changes....I wish I could have kept them all for resale...

One major changeover was BNC to CAT-5 networking....started just trying to replace network cards, ended up having to replace a couple dozen 386/486 towers completely...

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, NE146 said:

Where'd you get the TG16 mini? I friggin want to buy one but Amazon says December. :lol:  Did you use the jap Amazon?

I did.  I was bummed when they postponed the US release too but i saw a few video reviews where they mentioned ordering the US version from Amazon Japan.  I just set up a basic account, ordered one & it showed up 3 days later. 

2 hours ago, eddhell said:

hindsight sure is a bitch....we all assumed the 'backwards compatibility' factor would not be a problem or that 'noone would ever want to use that old DOS software again'....we never thought back then that someone would want our old 'piece of shit pre-pentium' computers...

I definitely regret giving away/junking the DOS-based PCs I've had over the years.  I miss my 386/16 for nostaglic reasons, but really wish I still had my 486/66!!

5 hours ago, homerj said:

I did.  I was bummed when they postponed the US release too but i saw a few video reviews where they mentioned ordering the US version from Amazon Japan.  I just set up a basic account, ordered one & it showed up 3 days later. 

I did the same.  Had mine in about a week.  And it was only a few bucks more that the US pre-order 

I just spent too much money on Asterix comics =| I told myself "Well, I'm not winning this auction, I can at least bump it up a few more dollars to help the seller out." and then I won. Smart thinking!

19 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I really wanted to get a 486DX66 (or Pentium 133 which can be "converted" to a high end 386 or low end 486 by disabling caches), but these machines are selling for a premium on Ebay now, and since I'm living in Japan I can't just go to a junk store and pick up old MSDOS-era hardware.

Oh yeah, shipping costs especially make it difficult. I've got a pretty nice 486 that I bought from eBay a few years ago, but no case to put it in, just the motherboard and some cards...then a couple years later, I found a better 486 at a thrift shop for $5 @__@ I've got like four nice CRTs, but two of them need recaps (I think), and I don't really have a lot of room for storing them. I seriously need some organization.

Idunno if that Celeron will get you where you need to be (especially the REALLY old games), but ISA sound card is a good start, so you'll at least be able to run a lot of 90s DOS titles, and get in some Win98 action. I know P4 had some speed stepping features, but the only computer I've messed around with that on was a laptop with NTFS formatted HDD, so I couldn't easily boot DOS on it...tried using a CD-boot disc, but turning off the CPU cache just seemed to make everything stop working altogether :)

• Like 1

@Asaki

Thanks for the information!  I've read that Socket 370 boards allow you to disable the cache (but not to set the frequency), bringing them to slightly faster than high end 386 performance.  Hopefully that's the case with the machine that is on its way to me; I think I'd be mostly happy with that, as I remember as a kid my buddy had a high end 386 and mostly everything we wanted to play ran on it.

Even so, I know I'll be out of luck with some great games, notably Wing Commander 1 which seems to break on anything faster than a 386/33.

These guys were delivered today:

20200514-114245.jpg

They were listed as "untested" but people generally take very good care of their stuff here, so I'm hoping at least one of the sticks works. :)  The throttle came with the Flightstick Pro, but I'll probably never use it as I'm not really into hardcore flight sims.

-----

In other news, I logged into Yahoo Auction to leave feedback for the sellers, and as luck would have it I found someone selling a bare AI5VP VIA Socket7 AT motherboard with Pentium 133, 64MB RAM, and S3 video card installed, all for a very decent "buy it now" price!  I'll still need to find a case w/power supply and CDROM drive, but I can eventually transplant the Sound Blaster ISA card, hard disk, and floppy from the Celeron system I ordered previously, and I will have something VERY close to the ultimate DOS gaming machine for my purposes.

• Like 2