IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

9 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

A friend gifted me a free Game Boy Color that was really beat up looking but still worked fine, so I refurbished it with a new shell and buttons as well as a backlit screen kit from Console5.com.

I still need to front-light mod one of mine. I bought the kit, but I still need to get some LOCA.

• Like 1

Well,

Between eBay and Game Stop (of all places) my Wii U collection is coming along.  Also, after getting my oil changed, grocery shopping, then a Game Stop (heh),  I hauled ass home after stopping by the Shaved Ice food truck across from the liquor store...The secret is to ignore stop signs and traffic lights as they'll only slow ya down haha... The shaved ice is Strawberry Cheesecake and ice cream flavor with the chocolate cheesecake option!

P1020714.thumb.JPG.76043767e099c18060e8f159cf7a57f6.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

I still need to front-light mod one of mine. I bought the kit, but I still need to get some LOCA.

You could, but at this point there are so many backlight options for the Game Boy Color that are just light years ahead of LOCA glued front lights in terms of brightness and image quality that it seems like a real shame to put a front light in one. Here's the kit I went with for mine (it's out of stock at the moment but Console5 restocks these kits every 2 weeks or so): https://console5.com/store/nintendo-game-boy-color-modern-backlit-2-2-lcd-upgrade-kit-glass-lens-lcd-bracket.html

Simple as simple gets. Just pop out the old screen, drop in the new one with the spacer bracket, plug in the ribbon cable, stick the brightness adjustment touch sensor to the underside of the IR port with some double sided tape or a drop of glue, and away you go. No cutting, soldering, or any other sort of skill required at all. :)

As long as I'm on the subject of the Game Boy Color, now that my Genesis collection is just about where I want it after a couple years of collecting my next focus has become rebuilding my old Game Boy / Game Boy Color collection, which I started on this month. I'm not in any rush on it so I'll probably only be picking up 2 or 3 games a month every month as I feel like playing them, but here's this month's pickups:

GBPickups082020.thumb.JPG.d7132695c0801e1a8393bc8faeca5058.JPG

I got copies of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Tomb Raider, and Woody Woodpecker Racing (a surprisingly awesome Mario Kart style racing game) along with an official CGB-003 link cable with DMG-14 adapter and a pretty rad Game Boy Color fanny pack. Much to my delight, and a little bit to my surprise, the save batteries in all the games are still working too! 

Lastly, way back in May of this year I purchased a PSIO for my PlayStation and it finally arrived in the mail this week! Now I just have to send it along with my original PlayStation off to Stone Age Gamer to get the darn thing installed, since the soldering and PCB modding work required to install it is way above my skill level. 

PSIO1.thumb.JPG.49cbb4e2d5d90e869fd5808bc25df07a.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

You could, but at this point there are so many backlight options for the Game Boy Color that are just light years ahead of LOCA glued front lights in terms of brightness and image quality that it seems like a real shame to put a front light in one.

Eh. All the backlight kits I've seen have been too expensive to be so cheaply made: either the resolution is wrong, or the aspect ratio is, or there's screen tearing, or the color space is wrong...if I really want to play GB on a backlit screen, I have a GBA, and I have emulators (for most games at least).

On 8/8/2020 at 8:15 PM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Lastly, way back in May of this year I purchased a PSIO for my PlayStation and it finally arrived in the mail this week!

Absolutely amazing product. I love mine and use it quite a bit. ?

I received my TerraOnion MODE Saturday. Now I need some free time to tear down my Saturn. 

07C60525-78F3-408B-ADE4-CB9E6484BA61.jpeg

• Like 1

Well,

Between eBay and Game Stop (of all places) my Wii U collection is coming along.  Also, after getting my oil changed, grocery shopping, then a Game Stop (heh),  I hauled ass home after stopping by the Shaved Ice food truck across from the liquor store...The secret is to ignore stop signs and traffic lights as they'll only slow ya down haha... The shaved ice is Strawberry Cheesecake and ice cream flavor with the chocolate cheesecake option!

P1020714.thumb.JPG.76043767e099c18060e8f159cf7a57f6.JPG

I always forget about mighty number 9 on Wii U. It’s to bad the game wasn’t made a bit better. It could have been the long wait of the Kickstarter backers that made it have such abysmal review scores. I always thought it was a faithful example of a modern Mega man game with a few quirks.

• Like 1

Just arrived in the mail:

IMG_1991.thumb.jpg.9f4f0cd7a3eece6850cbce526c1c8c02.jpg

After a day or so of monkeying around I feel the console implementations are pretty impressive.  I'm not yet convinced it can hang with my Analogue and RetroUSB devices, but it's well worth the money if you're looking to dive in to FPGA stuff.

The Atari 800, Apple II, Atari ST, and Amiga cores are REALLY fun to poke around in.

• Like 3

Just arrived in the mail:

IMG_1991.thumb.jpg.9f4f0cd7a3eece6850cbce526c1c8c02.jpg

After a day or so of monkeying around I feel the console implementations are pretty impressive.  I'm not yet convinced it can hang with my Analogue and RetroUSB devices, but it's well worth the money if you're looking to dive in to FPGA stuff.

The Atari 800, Apple II, Atari ST, and Amiga cores are REALLY fun to poke around in.

I’ve almost purchased a Mister many times. I’m glad to hear that it’s a lot of fun. I was mainly interested in the Atari 800 and Amiga cores.

4 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

So not necessarily a "purchase" but my step-daughter and her fiance just handed me the PS4 she bought last year and said it was mine. Oooooookay... guess I own a slim PS4 now! :)

You can do magical things with that PS4!
So many great games for so cheap at this point. What kind of games do you like?

2 hours ago, Badaboom said:

Never too late for xbox, especially because of the great backward compatibility. I got a Xbox One X latelly too. Games are dirt cheap for it.

Yeah,  I've been picking up used games here and there. Finally sat down and played some halo 5 this evening,  after the 4 hour update...

• Like 1