IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

3 hours ago, Badaboom said:

Never too late for xbox, especially because of the great backward compatibility.

Really? The model my girlfriend has, it only supports a small handful of XBox/360 games, and you have to spend hours downloading them from the Internet first (can't just run them from disc).

So I gave in and bought a used 360, because almost none of the games I own are supported.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

I bought 3 PS4 games so I could use the PlayStation my stepdaughter gave me. I went in intending to buy used but when it is LITERALLY $1-$2 more for new I buy new. No point in buying used If it’s not going to save anything. 

The Monopoly was $5 clearance at Kohl’s. Nice. ?

6C93FB47-3898-467F-9736-BE695911CD10.jpeg

B8344149-01FB-47BA-BC1F-8D0CE4EB9D73.jpeg

• Like 1

Repros are fine in this day and age of rarity & price gouging. Especially if the functionality is 100%. Sometimes repros are EVEN BETTER because they are fresh and new. Made of new materials that aren't faded and falling apart or showing signs of wear and deterioration.

High quality repros VS the real thing is mostly a mind-game your head plays on you. It's like falling into a lull where your brain squirms. Your brain becomes susceptible and allows other "collectors" to put "stuff" inside it. And this starts a competition between "collectors", prices go up, attract attention and awe, which is what they want in the first place.

So don't worry. Step outside that claptrap. Enjoy your game!

• Like 2

Repros are fine in this day and age of rarity & price gouging. Especially if the functionality is 100%. Sometimes repros are EVEN BETTER because they are fresh and new. Made of new materials that aren't faded and falling apart or showing signs of wear and deterioration.

High quality repros VS the real thing is mostly a mind-game your head plays on you. It's like falling into a lull where your brain squirms. Your brain becomes susceptible and allows other "collectors" to put "stuff" inside it. And this starts a competition between "collectors", prices go up, attract attention and awe, which is what they want in the first place.

So don't worry. Step outside that claptrap. Enjoy your game!

I agree! The age of the collector and price gouging has gotten old. I gladly buy high quality repros when I get a chance.

I changed my mind, recently, on repros vs original.

There was a 'prommer that was discontinued but still quite useful. It handled voltages its official replacement did not. So it was valuable for vintage EEPROMS.

I had a hard time trying to find the original, but I came across what I believe to be a very excellent clone that works exactly like the original. Or maybe it *IS* the original. I don't know. I don't care. I got the functionality I needed at a price I could afford. No $400+ markups or ebay nonsense.

So repros are ok IMHO.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

I personally like originals but in this case, since the game is no longer made, I have no problem with a repro.  The original maker has been clear that no more will be made and there is no reason to buy a used one for $$$.  When possible I like to support the original developer/maker but there are no originals left from them in this case. 2p.

• Like 1

I dislike limited run or limited edition games.

1- It's like a cheap  attempt to increase value through rarity. It's great if you like chasing after things and purposely paying a high price for no practical reason.

2- Intentional or not, it's consumer discrimination using "time" as leverage. I don't bother with these because there's always someone in front of me and I don't have the patience to sit there and wait for something to go on sale.

3- Creates a buying frenzy. Not interested in that either.

..so copies and repros are fair game, especially if they alleviate the above issues.

Fiurthermore. The only thing permanent with video and computer games is the executable code and architecture of the machine. They rest of the stuff is just a physical manifestation that can degrade and fall apart over time. Then it needs replacing. And a repro is nothing but the next issuance of something. So repros and digital editions all the way!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I wanted to buy another PSX mouse since I have the PSIO and can play the games again but sticker shock! $60 for a raggedy Playstation mouse? I took a chance and bought a white one of these for $14 including shipping and tax:

New PSX PS2 Sony PLAYSTATION Mouse Controller by Innovation

Very nice and I am glad I took a shot. Now the listing says this won't work unless you have a fat PSX/PS2 as it needs power through the controller ports. I don't know anything as technical as that but I can tell you it works great with my modded PSIO system. I was playing X-Com not 5 minutes after ripping the package open. :)

dsc01272.jpg

Edited by ClassicGMR
Added manufacturer info to link
  • Like 4

I dislike limited run or limited edition games.

1- It's like a cheap  attempt to increase value through rarity. It's great if you like chasing after things and purposely paying a high price for no practical reason.

2- Intentional or not, it's consumer discrimination using "time" as leverage. I don't bother with these because there's always someone in front of me and I don't have the patience to sit there and wait for something to go on sale.

3- Creates a buying frenzy. Not interested in that either.

..so copies and repros are fair game, especially if they alleviate the above issues.

Fiurthermore. The only thing permanent with video and computer games is the executable code and architecture of the machine. They rest of the stuff is just a physical manifestation that can degrade and fall apart over time. Then it needs replacing. And a repro is nothing but the next issuance of something. So repros and digital editions all the way!

This is largely what kills the Vectrex community for me. The one redeeming light is packratvg.com.

• Like 1

The root of my thinking that way may have started back in the Vic-20 and Atari 400/800 days. Though I didn't appreciate it at that time.

For the longest time I thought cartridge games were "somehow special" with special chips and stuff. But soon enough I encountered the same games on tape and disk. The exact same games. They looked the same. They played the same. They were the same code.

Then MAME came along and here were the exact arcade games, code and all, on a disk. This time a hard disk. Yet another format. I finally truly accepted that the storage medium and presentation could be different. But the essence remained identical. Heck. It was the same essence. Suddenly it didn't matter what medium delivered the goods. Original disk/cart/tape, copy, repro, whatever. As long as the information was intact we were golden.

• Like 1