IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

2 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Really looking forward to further exploring the SMS library, a flashcart is certainly in the works soon!

You'll be able to play some of the SMS games that don't work on Genesis :) (they all use a backwards-compatible SG-1000 mode that Genesis doesn't support)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Toshiba P4 laptop for $60.00 Canadian, it has a parallel port and a 40 GB hard drive, will be using it with my Atari Portfolio. Pics coming later on my phone is charging.

The guy has another one same model same make, no serial port but a parallel port, useful for putting DOS 6.22 onn it and transfering files with the Atari Portfolio. 

Edited by rcamp48
adding more info
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

TBH, almost exclusively Ayrton, as there are many tracks, and I have scores on NTSC and PAL versions of the game, haha!

Also California Games, Olympic Gold, tbh just "nickeled and dimed" my way to the top of the leaderboard, I'm not a "special" gamer, just a stubborn knucklehead with climbing the charts(I'm top 5 on a dozen systems, leader on several).

On the Ayrton, I actually have a new competitor from Brazil, Ulisses-he is REALLY good, we are slowly getting faster and faster-he is inherently "better" at this point, but I am learning from him, inadvertently helping him when I "mistakenly" go faster, we are Friends, and kinda cooperating to see how fast we can push the timer.

I've played the 16 bit Ayrton and SMGP a lot, serious competitor there(I do a lot of 16 bit racers, SNES/Genesis), and have pretty much the max possible times on most of the tracks, couple years work, haha, so we'll get the SMS times where they should be soon!!!

I am looking forward to playing it with the real SMS pad very much, it might help me catch him some, sometimes different d-pads respond differently.

Thanks for the question!!!

I have Ayrton but I've never played it. The only racing games I've really played on the Master System are Hang On, Outrun and Battle Outrun.

It would be cool to hear about any differences you notice when you play Ayrton on your new SMS. Back in the day I use to love the SMS gamepad but it's not a precision instrument. :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SegaDude said:

I have Ayrton but I've never played it. The only racing games I've really played on the Master System are Hang On, Outrun and Battle Outrun.

It would be cool to hear about any differences you notice when you play Ayrton on your new SMS. Back in the day I use to love the SMS gamepad but it's not a precision instrument. :)

You actually hit the nail right on the head!!!

OK, not bragging, but I am really decent at the timed racing games, where you can run qualifying laps, grinding.

But my buddy is handing me my ass, frankly!
:P

The problem is, for "scoring"(where I play), the assumption is that the "SMS inside the Genesis"is the EXACT SAME, or else I don't really think it could count, you can see how that would affect scoring in many ways-I am truly thinking I will "automatically" be a tick faster on real SMS, w/real SMS controllers, and might possibly try to open a can of worms about the perceived "compatibility".

That's actually an area I have explored quite a bit in the past, NTSC/PAL versions of Ayrton and SMGP, Genesis, NTSC/PAL Super Mario Kart, Nigel Mansel, SNES-sometimes you can CLEARLY see differences, even hear them, so I am decent at A/B'ing "results", I'll definitely let you know if the "real stuff" helps me!!!

Aw, gosh-it takes "getting into", and really you need other peoples "fast times" to compare to, but you can lose SOOO much time on Ayrton, trying to go faster and faster!!! 

On 12/21/2020 at 2:31 AM, SegaDude said:

I didn't order the controller. I don't like the look of it and I felt I was spending enough for just the unit. I do like the look of the big joystick but it feels over the top for a mini console.

If they don't work now I'm hoping that someone will hack the Astro City Mini to work with Retro-bit USB joysticks.

You've been busy! I'd love a GBA flash cart someday. What a handheld!!

Yeah, the Astro City Mini controller is kind of ugly (comfortable, though) and I agree about buying the stick for a mini console. Seems like overkill for a little emulator box to me, especially when the stick is the same price as the system itself.

Unfortunately, Genesis Mini controller apparently doesn't work and I am guessing that the European MD Mini controller also does not work, but my Japanese MD Mini controller works perfectly, so you can use that if you have one. For some reason the Retro-Bit Saturn controller (the 2.4GHz one) doesn't work, unfortunately, which is weird because it was designed specifically to work on the Genesis/MD Mini, but I have not been able to get it to work on the Astro City Mini. You'd think it would work since the MD Mini controller does, but it doesn't. I guess there's not much you can do about it but use the built-in controls.

You missed the 20% off sale on the Everdrive site a few weeks ago! Standard price is actually still not bad, though. It can't run GB and GBC games natively, though, so you have to play those games through emulators that the cart can run. Awkward and ironic given the GBA's backwards compatibility, but that's why I got the regular GB/GBC one as well. GBA is a nice system and I kind of miss my old SP, which is somewhere in storage in the USA, but I did buy another SP when I got here. My GBC, GBA, and both SPs are all getting replaced by the Pocket whenever that thing releases, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It can't run GB and GBC games natively, though, so you have to play those games through emulators that the cart can run. Awkward and ironic given the GBA's backwards compatibility...

IIRC, the short answer is that GB/C and GBA carts run on two different voltages (3.3 and 5, I think?), and the only known way to switch into GB/C mode is by a physical switch in the cartridge slot that is pressed by the shape of the cart.

The old Goomba runs a good majority of DMG games, has save states, and I added all of the SGB and GBC palettes to it (and the 3DS one), and I think I added all the SGB 1&2 borders as well (I made another one that had borderless options, but never released it).

Goomba Color runs maybe 50% of the Color games at full speed, and last time I checked, didn't support save states (but any game that uses a battery backup save should save just fine). Personally I would recommend a more powerful handheld if you're going to emulate Color games: LameBoy on the DS works really well.

I've been playing a lot of games via emulation on either my Win10 laptop or my Chromebook.  My old iBuffalo controller is getting a bit worn out, so I ordered a couple of iNNext USB controllers from Amazon for a good price.  They arrived about a week ago: I've played several hours on them and they work great.

INNEXT.jpg

Edited by ls650
  • Like 9

I've completed another collection*, the 1292 series. It was an ebay purchase, and to be fair to UPS they got it to me in practically 24 hours from London on Christmas week, so it's gone better than I intended! 

I've needed backgammon for the console for a long time. Although I do have the dragon multicart converter thingymagig it doesn't run any of the games that needed extra ram including chess and backgammon. I've slowly bought the rest of the 1292 series and I only needed this one. European collectors have enjoyed bragging to me how they found backgammon 'in no time' while I've taken ages to get it. Voltmace version did sell backgammon, and I had a converter already. 

The bonus being that in this auction there was a console boxed, leapfrog and crunch and munch was also included boxed which is exclusive to the voltmace/database style; which I only had loose. I didn't notice actually until I got it, as I was so focused on getting backgammon! 

While I intend to sell my doubles anyway (see second pic - let me know if anyone is interested by pm) I also considered reselling the console as I had the adapter... However, feeling the voltmace and its 'classic' design it just feels so much more... Ergonomic than the acetronic design, where I often have issues and have to open the controllers to clean contacts and get all the buttons working again. I almost regret not having the library entirely on voltmace now because it feels so much smoother. 

I've been so thankful to remove various ebay searches now I got backgammon, as I did some real wildcard searches in the hopes of picking a random Acetronic styled copy, which I might still look for later on. Not really sure what to move onto now, maybe intellivision and back to some 2600 carts... 

*disclaimer: I don't have hobby module, and don't really intend to unless someone is prepared to sell boxed for low 3 figure number. It's just too expensive and I know people who have waited 20 years for a copy :'( but also backgammon (and leapfrog and crunch and munch) is on voltmace while my other games is on the acetronic line. 

DSC_0716.JPG

DSC_0715.JPG

• Like 3

8 hours ago, krslam said:

That's a purty one!  You've been looking for a PET for a while, haven't you?

Yeah, I always loved the PET but it always seemed too much for me to afford. When I found someone who was wiling to accept a reasonable offer on ebay I saw few reasons to leave it. Just hoping it won't arrive in pieces.

2 hours ago, 4300 said:

Nice!

Thanks. I think I might have a new favorite computer soon.

Got some unexpected things in the mail a while ago, yesterday, and just now.

Like a fool, I accidentally ordered the regular version of Panzer Dragoon and didn't realize it until a month later when I checked the order status. The one time I actually wanted one of LRG's non-regular versions of something and I messed it up. Nothing I could have done about it at that point, but it arrived maybe 3~4 weeks ago. Still have not opened it, as you can see. Still need to finish the original version on the Saturn. Maybe I'll do that this week or next year or something. Also got Blaster Master Zero and Blaster Master Zero II.

Pic_1229_503.thumb.jpg.a6b0148dddba07cc91243835adb9fbfd.jpg

Aleste Collection with the special Game Gear Micro thingy showed up a few minutes ago. BEEP somehow got a few extra copies of the PS4 version in stock, so I ordered it yesterday. I wasn't expecting this to arrive until next year, but here it is.

Pic_1229_502.thumb.jpg.18c6f4d08a4895c1e67123b580cefd80.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Got some unexpected things in the mail a while ago, yesterday, and just now.

Like a fool, I accidentally ordered the regular version of Panzer Dragoon and didn't realize it until a month later when I checked the order status. The one time I actually wanted one of LRG's non-regular versions of something and I messed it up. Nothing I could have done about it at that point, but it arrived maybe 3~4 weeks ago. Still have not opened it, as you can see. Still need to finish the original version on the Saturn. Maybe I'll do that this week or next year or something. Also got Blaster Master Zero and Blaster Master Zero II.

Pic_1229_503.thumb.jpg.a6b0148dddba07cc91243835adb9fbfd.jpg

Aleste Collection with the special Game Gear Micro thingy showed up a few minutes ago. BEEP somehow got a few extra copies of the PS4 version in stock, so I ordered it yesterday. I wasn't expecting this to arrive until next year, but here it is.

Pic_1229_502.thumb.jpg.18c6f4d08a4895c1e67123b580cefd80.jpg

I assume there's digital versions of Aleste Collection? I don't want to spend $72 to import the physical Switch version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I assume there's digital versions of Aleste Collection? I don't want to spend $72 to import the physical Switch version. 

Yeah. It just released 5 days ago, so it's still near the top of the Switch eshop and probably still near the top of the PSN store. I don't think I'd bother getting the Game Gear Micro, though... the d-pad is super terrible for Aleste, but GG Aleste 3 is fairly nice and I hope it gets an actual Game Gear cart. I'm sure someone will pull the ROM out of either the Game Gear Micro or from the PS4/Switch version of Aleste Collection, though.

...and I just checked out the back of the Aleste History book and it says in huge red letters on the bottom that there are no plans to produce a Game Gear cart for GG Aleste 3. Sadness, but expected.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Picked up this Centipede cocktail from a local collector. Advertised as working with rebuilt trackballs. I met up with him and of course when we pulled it out of his storage shed and plugged it in it didnt work. I was able to get the test mode to work, so I guessed it was something like a rom chip getting unseated due to the cold. So, I haggled him down another 50 bucks and got an additional centipede board thrown in. I went home, started fiddling with rom chips and had it working in 5 minutes :grin:

New overlays are on the way, dont worry

20201230_144441.thumb.jpg.b4f2fe1927ad5f10f8c796d06f25fee0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BDW said:

Picked up this Centipede cocktail from a local collector.

About 10 years ago I was offered a working Pong cocktail cabinet for $75, similar to the photo. 

I really wanted it but I had no room to store it in the place I was renting at the time.  

I really should have grabbed it... I'm still kicking myself 10 years later.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2