IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

A brand-new hp2225C+ inkjet printer. New in Box from the 1990's, has the original manual, sample paper, sample ink cartridge, hp application notes, AC adapter, paper guide, and tear-off plastic protector sheet on the clear cover. It isn't too heavy, but the plastic is way thicker than the crap they sell today - it doesn't make crackling sounds if you decide to pick it up and move it to a different location on your desk.

It's a simple design and has like 10x fewer parts than your average budget printer being sold today. It matches the Apple II color scheme and is sized just big enough like as if you chopped a II series in half. The print quality isn't the best by today's standards - but that's to be expected from a 1984 inkjet. It has resolution similar to 9-pin dot-matrix printers. First consumer-class inkjet IIRC. It can be had in several varieties like a Serial or IEEE bus, or even a totally portable model with battery. But I just got the regular Parallel model with external A/C adapter.

I'm pretty sure they still make ink cartridges for it too. Being simple and not encumbered with moody Windows' drivers which cause hardware to go obsolete before mechanical failure is a big thing here. Not only that they're still in use as industrial instrumentation printers in labs where custom equipment is the name of the game.

The manual is a beautiful thing. From a time when manuals were worth picking up and not these information-bare quickstart guides that come with today's shit. Plastic round comb binding, glossy tabs, reference charts, explanation of switches and controls, both technical and easy-to-understand illustrated portions. It even has a page showing how to set the dip-switches for the Apple II or IBM-PC. Yes!

You can read all about this little printer here http://hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=300

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Another rare Sears flyer I just picked up. It wasn’t cheap, but I fully intended not to lose it as I’ve never seen another.  It’s dated 9/79 and highlights 31 cartridges so it’s not too early.  I’m not sure if it was a point of sale flyer maybe?  It’s Interesting that it says “Come in and ask to play!” On the cover. Anyone else come across one of these before?

529AB881-8D18-46C3-A2F4-797C5B764D7C.thumb.jpeg.f6709603abc952addae83ebe927c7138.jpegED52953D-8C6F-4DA9-99C5-42F09975C88E.thumb.jpeg.40e994ede34b6849dc49195f8e166308.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A bunch of wire racks from a local GameStop that’s closing.  While i was looking over the racks, i happened to mention that i was needing cases for a lot of loose games I’ve got.  They said they hag some & that i could have them for nothing.  They proceeded to go in the back & bring out 2 boxes FULL of empty cases for various systems.  Most had sleeves & quite a few had had their original cover art.  I’m set for cases for a long time now.  

• Like 2

It doesn't make sense. I never owned (bitd) the printer I talked about a few posts previously. We only had them at the repair shop in the 90's. And yet I'm over the moon nostalgic about it. Utterly inexplicable.

Possibilities that might make sense are that it's rather simple in operation, matches the Apple II color, and seems to have conventions like my vintage Epson MX-80. The parallel port, the ASCII charts, cable/connector pinouts, the dip switches, and the 80's aura surrounding it. It's nice how the manual mentions part numbers for cables, both hp and non-hp. They even tell you what interface card to use. In the Apple II column they mention the standard Parallel Interface Card or a Grappler.

This is clearly from a time when manufacturers put some pride into making their products. Lots of contact information in the document pack. It's like they wanted to hear from you - much like pre-90's Apple.

As a side note the hp museum website talks about early inkjet marketing models, and straight away they talk about making insane profit on the ink through the razors'n'blades concept. But this printer wasn't cheap at its introductory price of $500.

• Like 1

My wife and I are in NH for our vacation and we always hit the thrifts around here. This year I found a couple nice items.

Atari pajama bottoms. Look new and still had the retail tag. $2

Nintendo Wii - no controllers but has power, av and the sensor bar. Marked $40 so I was going to pass but my wife - bless her heart - noticed it was going to be 1/2 off. Yoink!! ?

C3C3FFEE-0720-457B-9D5C-6D8ED39A9188.jpeg

3DB252FF-664F-41F4-BF08-A544AC2EE988.jpeg

28CC6AAA-2FD5-42FC-9370-90AF67BF571E.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

Now I can get stuff onto my Compaq LTE without having to take the SD card out of the SD IDE adapter out of the hard drive caddy out of the laptop!

I've got a cheap PCMCIA->CF->SD card reader for mine...and I made a masking tape "ribbon" for the CF adapter, so I can pull it out without having to eject the entire card.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

Very cool, where did you find that? In my area for months all I can find is wave 1 figures. I ended up just ordering everything from BigBadToyStore.com for all other waves.

I had walmart.ca's link saved to my favorites and I checked it once or twice a day for the last week until I finally got one. I really wanted the flocked version but the standard one will do until or just in case I can't get a furry one :)  I'm sticking to my guns and only paying retail price and not a cent more for these new heman figures. The prices the scalpers are putting them out for is nothing short of sickening. Walmart has an exclusive on the flocked Panthor as well and we all know how well Walmart handles exclusives :(  I'm guessing the first rounds of flocked panthor's will be sold at triple retail. To to this Cowboy they won't.   

EDIT: I was able to get every figure except for Orko at retail, in person. I ended up getting Orko online for MSRP. He was another one that was getting gouged online. I stay away from BBTS anymore as they royally fucked up my last big order and the shipping took forever as they sent from Sweden not the US location. It was for Star Wars figures from the Mando TV show and others. Pre-order stuff that went months past ETA. I don't have time for that. My blood pressure is high enough as is.

Edited by Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few cables and some other interesting stuff.

First I bought a female-male S video extension cable to chop up so I can make a cable to connect S-video devices (mainly my Jaguar) to my Commodore 1702.

Second I bought a DB9-DB9 null modem cable which I did not own, surprisingly.

Lastly I found a very nice fellow on Facebook that sold me an Apple Super Serial Card for an affordable price. Now I can use ADTpro and BBS in 80 columns with my //e!

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

Yes. $25 is a fair price.

Apple stuff has become unacceptably expensive recently. But at this point I really have everything I need apart from maybe an AppleColor monitor and an enhancement kit.

Apple //e

80 Column/64k card

Parallel printer card

DuoDisk with controller

Super Serial Card

Monitor II

What more does one need.