IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

11 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

I’ve seen plenty of these for the Atari and some for the O2, but I hadn’t seen one for the Intellivision before.  It will fit nice with my Intellivision collection.

00391B00-3EDA-45ED-A147-DC4DDEB09B62.thumb.jpeg.b15d098ba83cafd38b99fb72a0e8e497.jpeg

Nice pickup?. I’ve never seen one for the Intellivision either, but I have the one for Atari.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, bluejay said:

Eh, I can live with 2 Geneses. I probably won't get rid of it. But really, I don't get why people pay twice (or more) as much as they'd pay for a system that is slightly worse.

The problem I have with the Model 1 Genesis is that it looks awful with the 32x attached to it. I'll probably have it attached to my Model 2 and leave the Model 1 in a nice display case.

VA3 and VA4 Genesis/MD 1 will give you the best audio of all motherboard revisions in their stock configurations, which is why they are so desirable. There are a few others with really good audio (Nomad, surprisingly), but even those aren't quite as good. With some mods (triple bypass and a few others), you can clean up the audio and video on any type and get excellent output if you don't mind having your stuff not in stock configuration. Not sure how the combination units (CDX, Wondermega, X'Eye, Linguaphone Education Gear, etc.), the Pioneer LaserActive, or the TeraDrive compare, though, but I'd love to find out... preferably by owning all of them~

Anyway, 32X might look a bit weird to you now, but I've heard that it actually improves composite video quality, so if you are using composite, you might notice a reduction in video quality if you remove it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Anyway, 32X might look a bit weird to you now, but I've heard that it actually improves composite video quality, so if you are using composite, you might notice a reduction in video quality if you remove it.

Since the 32x generates its video then combines it with the Genesis's video output, I think it's just the 32x that has good composite video, and the Genesis's video quality stays as it is. It must create the illusion of improved video quality in general.

I have a Genesis 2, so unless video/audio quality is significantly worse, I plan on using it instead of the 1.

1 minute ago, bluejay said:

Since the 32x generates its video then combines it with the Genesis's video output, I think it's just the 32x that has good composite video, and the Genesis's video quality stays as it is. It must create the illusion of improved video quality in general.

I have a Genesis 2, so unless video/audio quality is significantly worse, I plan on using it instead of the 1.

Yeah, the Genesis video passes through the 32X and the 32X itself doesn't do the video in any of the Genesis games, so it's something like that. I haven't messed with it much myself since there's no reason to use composite when I have HD Retrovision. Genesis 2 quality ranges from good to not so great. I have a VA0 Mega Drive 2 that I bought from a friend last year. The RGB video is probably the best of all of my Mega Drives (although the Nomad's RGB is very close), but the audio is quite harsh.

Still, if you have a good Genesis 2, the only reason not to use it would be if you like the headphone jack. I'm quite partial to the Genesis 2 myself, as I had one as a kid and never saw the original model until like 2008 somehow. I guess you'll just have to try it and see which one you like more. Basically every Genesis and Mega Drive motherboard revision is some sort of compromise between audio and video, so the best thing to do is to find the one that you like the most and just use that one... or use the triple bypass on any one of your choice. Genesis 3 with triple bypass is something I'm seriously considering trying because it's tiny and cool!

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, bluejay said:

The problem I have with the Model 1 Genesis is that it looks awful with the 32x attached to it. I'll probably have it attached to my Model 2 and leave the Model 1 in a nice display case.

I've been thinking about buying hookups for my Genny 2, so I can leave it attached to the Sega CD 2, and keep the model 1 solo, for that sweet, sweet overclocking.

• Like 2

I was looking at this TRS-80 Model II for a project box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Radio-Shack-TRS-80-Model-II-Microcomputer-Disk-And-Keyboard-Untested/154325625350

Strip it down and gut it empty. Too much time would have to be spent in the repair & cleaning phases as opposed to creating/modding. All the rust-pitting, weight, intermittent solder joints and connections. Just too much. And for what? A limited-use vertical machine with ZERO software support.

So.. Put in a mini-itx, R-Pi, and MiSTer. With plenty of room to spare. It looks nice with the flatscreen glare protector as-is. So "conversion" to a proper LCD would be ok. The drive area would be a physical control panel. And the 3-disk monstrosity would be a perfect side-companion to hold joysticks, manuals, and other paraphernalia, like boot disks and tools and stuff.

Could cut off the floppy faceplate and put it on a hinge, or even motorize it somehow, thus keeping the stock TRS-80 look.

Alternatively I could do the same with a Model III, always wanted one of those. Especially an AIO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

I was looking at this TRS-80 Model II for a project box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Radio-Shack-TRS-80-Model-II-Microcomputer-Disk-And-Keyboard-Untested/154325625350

Strip it down and gut it empty. Too much time would have to be spent in the repair & cleaning phases as opposed to creating/modding. All the rust-pitting, weight, intermittent solder joints and connections. Just too much. And for what? A limited-use vertical machine with ZERO software support.

So.. Put in a mini-itx, R-Pi, and MiSTer. With plenty of room to spare. It looks nice with the flatscreen glare protector as-is. So "conversion" to a proper LCD would be ok. The drive area would be a physical control panel. And the 3-disk monstrosity would be a perfect side-companion to hold joysticks, manuals, and other paraphernalia, like boot disks and tools and stuff.

Could cut off the floppy faceplate and put it on a hinge, or even motorize it somehow, thus keeping the stock TRS-80 look.

Alternatively I could do the same with a Model III, always wanted one of those. Especially an AIO.

Starting bid changed form $167 to $361. Seller musta found out how much these were worth.

I think it's fun to try and make use of a computer that used to be state of the art 40 something years ago that has all the quirkiness of a state of the art computer from 40 years ago. You have plenty of empty cases on ebay for your imaginary projects.

Furthermore, the thing is heavily yellowed, and because of the fact that it is painted plastic and metal it suggests that it was owned by a smoker. It'd smell awful, and it looks awful too. The paint itself is worn, especially around the keyboard area, and it even has a broken key. If you look closely you can also see that some metal parts are irreparably rusted, such as the floppy drive casing and key brackets. It's simply too ugly to be a project box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SegaDude said:

I have such great memories playing Quartet. I got it with my Master System on Christmas.

I also had gotten a SMS around Christmas back in the day. It was the 1st system I got in attempt to re-build a collection. It was a moody and downtempo system. I liked it. But the rebuilding never went anyplace. Fuck'n finances ya'know.. A few short years later I was a billionaire and headlong into the emulation scene!!

• Haha 2

Fire Emblem Fuukasetsugetsu OST showed up about 12 hours ago. It's 6 discs long and I haven't actually even put the discs in my computer yet since I've been a bit busy playing Sonic Adventure, but I did get the limited edition version with the music box, so I tried the music box. It's... a music box. The loop is pretty short, some of the notes are a bit harsh, and it seems to be made of plastic, but I can't complain too much.

Pic_0218_552.thumb.jpg.322d71163319a9f4359b884869a859bb.jpg

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3

Some (more or less) recent purchases:

A Retro Tink 2X SCART Adaptor   (Now my (Doujindance) PC Engine DUO-R with RGB SCART works like it Always should have!  YAY!!!)   It's not an unstable mess like before ;)

Vectorblade

A Mini HDMI Adapter that I hope will work with my Evercade to get the games to the TV.

And the first pic of my awesome Dragonfly (7800 SD cart/Everdrive)!  And its power supply which is still glowing green even though it is not plugged in (Eerie!   Muhuwuwuauaaaaaa!)

Unfortunately I managed to scuff up my label trying to add a bit of glue to keep the label down.

20210217_011429.thumb.jpg.3b8d7bfa3b09679f9f9a86d513fa4df0.jpg20210218_234816.thumb.jpg.3379f5bcf2a06c33e45cfc959757f99c.jpg

• Like 6

Obrazek.aspx?nahled=2

Forgot to share this; I ordered one of these quite a while ago, and it finally showed up in the mail. Post from the Czech Republic to the United States is very slow. My dad's still in the States for reasons related to his work so he received the package and will bring it along with him when he comes to Korea.

Anyways, apparently this is one of the best SID replacements and it's not terribly expensive. Hopefully it is as good as people say it is.

• Like 1

About a week ago, I decided to spend some of my birthday money...I was going to get the CGI Star Wars Clone Wars series on DVD, and then I was just going to get a couple of VHS tapes...and then I wound up buying way too many things :| And I didn't even get any Clone Wars :|

I even won a big Asterix comics lot that I forgot I had bid on. Whoops.

I got a refurbished N64 controller (Atomic Purple), some stuff to try to fix my other one, some Genesis controller parts, a bunch of rock/metal concert VHS tapes, some DVDs, some comic books, Star Wars Episodes II and III DVDs, and all five seasons of X-Men animated series DVDs...

• Like 3

Here's the last week's purchases...

Fixed my NES Action 52 cart (I bought a trashed one a year or so ago), so I thought I'd get the Genesis version too, especially since it's about 10% of the price.

Action52.jpg.3eccfb6f906c450e665e73f935e83917.jpg

Also bought my first NES Tengen game.

124620400_RoadRunnerTengen.thumb.jpg.f15adfce46328f6e831f596bb2218c31.jpg

And also made this purchase Friday.  Pretty excited by it.  Want to buy more from them soon.  Piko is in Texas, btw, and got hit by the big freeze. 

Swithblade.thumb.png.397e4a0683f33f6859d011deb770201b.png

Love looking forward to checking the mailbox.

• Like 2