IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

2 hours ago, thegamezmaster said:

Does anyone know where this company is located? Any other thoughts on these as far as being good or bad? Thanks!

I don't know where the company themselves are from.  Made in China (like everything these days) I guess...I have one of their Turbografx controllers, although it's only my first impressions, I like it.

Here's a review from a guy who likes it, and I think John Hancock reviews one too.  You might look it up.

• Like 1

It's certainly worked well for me over the years. Decades even - because contemporary emulation as we know it got stated in earnest in the mid-1990's. It's easy to take the convenience and reliability and consistency for granted. And its fun setting everything up.

• Like 2

It's certainly worked well for me over the years. Decades even - because contemporary emulation as we know it got stated in earnest in the mid-1990's. It's easy to take the convenience and reliability and consistency for granted. And its fun setting everything up.

I know I’ve taken it for granted over the years. After using a nt mini noir for about a month now I started feeling like I was just using an emulation station. I don’t have a fondness for physical media and I think it’s the best way to get all of my gaming in one place.

• Like 3

There was a time when I used to have high affinity for vintage physical media and had a sprawling display that got thoroughly out of control. Cartridges, disks, tapes, printouts. You name it. But not anymore. Having a collection in playable format means wear and tear on the media, the original labels.. And then there's time keeping it organized and clean and presentable. Too much busywork. Wasted wayyyy too much time on that.

I don't really display any sort of media. Not in the traditional sense. I keep backups in one of those plastic Husky toolboxes from Home Depot now. Cheap, effective, hard to lose. And still impressive when you open it up to update it. Or just to look at it.

There's many ways you can "glorify" your favorites. Something to add physicality and presence. Like making a 3-ring binder to hold laminated reference cards, keyboard guide-cards (think SpaceShuttle overlays), and logsheets of backups. You can make themed labels for hot-swap 3.5" SSD, or CF or SD. There's unlimited pre-made folders & holders for SD Flash media and HDDs. Even store your modern media in a tabernacle shrine with a sanctuary lamp. If that's your gig. Me? I prefer the Husky toolbox under the sectional!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, adamchevy said:

Building me a more powerful emulation station. I’m keen on trying out the Yuzu emulator.

The basic specifications are about right. I've built many a rig similarly spec'd and everyone was happy with the performance.

If anyone is into tiny PCs I found the current Topaz and Panther Canyon Intel NUCs to be respectable. You can use an eGPU if necessary. Or go straight to Ghost Canyon for RTX class gaming the size of a bookshelf speaker.

Another one of those is likely to be my next purchase.

• Like 1

Hangman!!!

Hangman_-_1978_-_Fairchild_Semiconductor.thumb.jpg.8b7edb0afcc8761ec51f0e0bb4b5c228.jpg

I got the cart and the box, all the way from the UK.

It seems to me that Hangman is a great way to play the Channel F.  It doesn't ask any more than rudimentary stick figures to play this game.  It's kind of almost "style", when you take primitive graphics and rudimentary drawings and combine them.

As long as it has a modicum of words, it's good for a handful of rounds... Which would hit the limit of any modern attention span.

I also like that it's a bit polically incorrect. "Hangman".  That's a bold name on a cart.

Another thing I like about this is simple: Guest appeal! ...  Really?  Yes.    But, to WHO?!? 

Bare with me here... I'm talking about the one person who might somehow end up in your house.

The kind of person who has trouble naming five video games.

You know the type.

"Pac Man"

"Super Marios"

"Donkey Kong"

(uhhh.... )

"Space ... um.. Alien Men"

... "Myspace ...?"

Usually your wife's friend.  (But boy can she read the tarot!    ... Oh wait, you don't care.)

So you are caught-in-the-act with a big ol' video game collection. Wifefriend looks sheepish. Wife blushes. You suddenly need to justify your obsession because your uncle is in the other room watching sports and he just farted loudly ...again.

So here you are in the man cave and you ought to suggest a game. Social obligation. But Tarot-Lady is a stranger in a strange land.  Even Balloon Fight seems too high concept and out of reach.

Wifes' friend teters like a carpenter at a quilting bee.

But then you remember.... Hey... ANYONE can play Hangman!

"Hey! How about HANGMAN !?!"

Good suggestion.

(Channel F for Fun!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Today and everyday we are "Arcade Perfect" .. With MAME. leaving.gif.91304d67ef4125534acce6d0d3a019d7.gif

It's a good joke to go with that book.

Not accurate to me though...Maybe the latest and  greatest is better, but on my multicade I see some things, (granted it's a tiny amount) that are not arcade perfect at all, i.e.  Frenzy is missing the Death sound and the other sounds have extreme lag, it's like push the button, wait a second, hear the sound, (I don't remember if Berzerk is this way or not, or if I have Berzerk on there), Mr. Do!  is not as random as the actual arcade game (That one is very subtle, but trust me)...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Hangman!!!

Hangman_-_1978_-_Fairchild_Semiconductor.thumb.jpg.8b7edb0afcc8761ec51f0e0bb4b5c228.jpg

I got the cart and the box, all the way from the UK.

It seems to me that Hangman is a great way to play the Channel F.  It doesn't ask any more than rudimentary stick figures to play this game.  It's kind of almost "style", when you take primitive graphics and rudimentary drawings and combine them.

As long as it has a modicum of words, it's good for a handful of rounds... Which would hit the limit of any modern attention span.

I also like that it's a bit polically incorrect. "Hangman".  That's a bold name on a cart.

Another thing I like about this is simple: Guest appeal! ...  Really?  Yes.    But, to WHO?!? 

Bare with me here... I'm talking about the one person who might somehow end up in your house.

The kind of person who has trouble naming five video games.

You know the type.

"Pac Man"

"Super Marios"

"Donkey Kong"

(uhhh.... )

"Space ... um.. Alien Men"

... "Myspace ...?"

Usually your wife's friend.  (But boy can she read the tarot!    ... Oh wait, you don't care.)

So you are caught-in-the-act with a big ol' video game collection. Wifefriend looks sheepish. Wife blushes. You suddenly need to justify your obsession because your uncle is in the other room watching sports and he just farted loudly ...again.

So here you are in the man cave and you ought to suggest a game. Social obligation. But Tarot-Lady is a stranger in a strange land.  Even Balloon Fight seems too high concept and out of reach.

Wifes' friend teters like a carpenter at a quilting bee.

But then you remember.... Hey... ANYONE can play Hangman!

"Hey! How about HANGMAN !?!"

Good suggestion.

(Channel F for Fun!)

Good call!  I bought Hangman for Atari BITD, and it was one of the first games I bought, back when selection wasn't as great haha...I just looked because I was thinking I got some really good deal on it, but there's a price tag of $19.95 on it.  Maybe I was thinking it was better than $29.95 which the other games were or maybe there was a sale (Like the newspaper said they were $5 or $10 off or something,  I could see that)...At any rate your story makes perfect sense to me.  As something different, It was a bit of fun for the time,  I just wish there were more/bigger words...

• Like 1

Now unwrap that bad boy!

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Not accurate to me though...Maybe the latest and  greatest is better, but on my multicade I see some things, (granted it's a tiny amount) that are not arcade perfect at all, i.e.  Frenzy is missing the Death sound and the other sounds have extreme lag, it's like push the button, wait a second, hear the sound, (I don't remember if Berzerk is this way or not, or if I have Berzerk on there), Mr. Do!  is not as random as the actual arcade game (That one is very subtle, but trust me)...

I haven't heard any lag on Frenzy's sound. Perhaps it's a setting or the version/hardware you're using. I don't know all the fine points in Mr. Do! so I can't fairly comment on the subtle patterns or randomness.

Thing with MAME, to me and likely most of the people that play it, is that it may not be precisely absolutely 100% perfect. And that is ok. It's a very necessary part of any vintage gamer's arsenal.

Ohh what did I buy today? 2 more Apple II manuals. No fear. I'm still in casual accumulation mode. Just that a bunch became available recently. Throughout the rest of the year I'll likely not get more than 10 more. Tops. I swear it!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1