IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

10 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I bought a Roller Controller BITD, and a week or two later,  Victory. I haven't played it in years (and my memory sucks I will admit haha), but I don't recall any problems...

Which is odd b/c while negotiating the deal, I mentioned to _,Bill a collector book (image below) from yrs back (he also owned the book so he knew what I meant) that mentions the Victory ROMs are ALL corrupted/dont work. I've had it a few times in the past & always never worked.  Maybe you had the CBS version (which was just fine)

Screenshot_20210601-014811_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

This gets even MORE fun- 5 or so yrs back I bought all my boss' "Atari games" for $50 which included the plastic TV console caddy...& unbeknownst to me, he must've owned a Colecovision & the Atari expansion module cuz CV carts were mixed in w/ the Atari games! Beamrider, Quest for Quintana Roo, War Room, Illusions were some noteworthy titles. He hadn't mentioned a CV, it's funny how everything is "Atari" or "Nintendo" to non-hobbyists.

Well I saw the Roller Controller manual in there too, & the Slither cart (which requires the Roller) so I asked if he still had the Roller. Weeks became months of pushing & prodding from me & empty excuses from him: "I think I know what box it's in, in the garage", "I didnt have time to look today",  "garage cleanup is.on my schedule", etc. So after _Bill & I finalized the deal this past week, I told my boss "screw you I finally got that trakball" ???

Also funny was he still had the manuals for some games, & he kept his Decathlon records & his high jump was some insane height & I was teasing him about cheating ? David Crane included HIS own records for the events & said "look man, you even beat the PROGRAMMER's score!!"

Edited by RJ

On 6/1/2021 at 12:07 AM, RJ said:

Which is odd b/c while negotiating the deal, I mentioned to _,Bill a collector book (image below) from yrs back (he also owned the book so he knew what I meant) that mentions the Victory ROMs are ALL corrupted/dont work. I've had it a few times in the past & always never worked.  Maybe you had the CBS version (which was just fine)

Screenshot_20210601-014811_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah I never had a problem!

You got me curious so I broke it all out.   Haven't had the ol Roller Controller hooked up in years.  It was dusty and I forgot what a pain it was to hook up...Could they have maybe given us a tiny bit of room to plug the controllers in?  Jesus!   Now,  I was wrong on one thing.   After seeing the sale tags I think I bought Victory later than I was initially thinking.  This was probably around the time some games were being clearanced or put on sale...~The start of the Crash.

Anyway after dusting it off, and taking some really crummy pics with  my phone...Well here ya go!

20210602_003031.thumb.jpg.272cf4af4cc00da6b69ff3b54d1bc5af.jpg20210602_003121.thumb.jpg.9a51f1a17d250cfcae5af6f26ab84961.jpg (Nope,  not CBS) 20210602_003129.thumb.jpg.071ababf4c3bdfb18a247dda999693ca.jpg20210602_010525.thumb.jpg.afa056d972f01043f2646eb0c9b1105f.jpg20210602_010346.thumb.jpg.4a5819ec05cb1a939cff0270595f63e4.jpg

20210602_010926.thumb.jpg.85d1b9d4245a1c2ee0483b9998641d92.jpg

Victory!   (Heh)

Needless to say it looks a lot better in person.  ;)

PS:  That said,  even when everything's working right,...It's, ummm,   not the most playable game anyway,  if you take my meaning.

• Like 6

On 5/31/2021 at 3:06 PM, GoldLeader said:

Yes I finally just got around to playing everything today, Victory will take some time to master? & I thought the SAME THING about room to attach the stock contoller to the Roller port ??? & apparently the CV Roller ball itself doesnt yellow with age? Mine's super clean like yours ?

I hadn't played it (or Zenji OR Slither!) back in the day, I guess thats why I stay away from "new" retro/classic games & homebrews- there's still too much great stuff from the past I havent gotten to. 

Heck even the pause music during Slither & Victory was fun to hear

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2

Okay, it's been a while since I was here last. Got some stuff over the past few days.

LRG Shantae reprint. I was planning on opening it and playing it, but then I remembered that GB/GBC/GBA boxes are really easy to damage/dent/etc., so I might just leave this sealed for eternity or something and play it using my Everdrive instead.

Pic_0603_709.thumb.jpg.577b39173e82efff8050a045a7d724a6.jpg

Yuuyoku no Fraulein: Wing of Darkness AKA Wing of Darkness released today, so that's here now. I decided to get the PS4 version instead of the PC version for some reason, maybe because I actually like owning physical copies... although if you scroll down a bit further, you'll see that I do still buy physical PC games when I can. Apparently this game is 2~2.5 hours long at most, as people are complaining about the game's length on Steam.

Pic_0603_708.thumb.jpg.a71893ca2b491e17c7e7d518d9faf524.jpg

Finally, Flowers limited editions for PC. Yes, physical PC games are still produced in Japan. I've been playing the excellent Switch ports recently and am just over halfway done, but I've always wanted to get the original PC limited editions. These are actually fairly rare now and I regret not buying them years ago when I originally wanted to, as they are now expensive if you want new copies. Managed to get automne directly from developer/publisher Innocent Grey for its normal price, but I had to get the others from third party sellers on Amazon. Printemps and été are used and in mostly great condition aside from a few unfortunate dents and I didn't pay much. Hiver... yeah, I got a new copy at twice its MSRP from a third-party seller like a damn fool.

Pic_0603_710.thumb.jpg.df45fcf48586662277a429b7c1c08223.jpg

These are actually really tiny, as they are basically just a fancy cardboard box with a standard jewel case inside for the game disc and the drama CD that each LE copy has.

I also picked up the fanbooks for 3 of the 4 Flowers games. Didn't bother taking a picture of those, but I have them. Unfortunately, the printemps fanbook is rare and expensive, so I don't have that one yet.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I knew I forgot something. I just looked over at my CRT and I saw this sitting on top of it and I remembered that this is new as well:

Pic_0603_711.thumb.jpg.8255087acf698c3c90717b91f597da24.jpg

I should have gotten the Switch version instead, honestly. I've had the Japanese version since October, but here's the NA PS4 version. Not sure which one I want to play, although I should probably play the Japanese version if only just for reading practice. Flowers has been teaching me lots of advanced kanji recently, so I'm pretty confident that I can play Shin Megami Tensei in Japanese now.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 5

On 6/3/2021 at 4:24 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Pic_0603_711.thumb.jpg.8255087acf698c3c90717b91f597da24.jpg

I should have gotten the Switch version instead, honestly. I've had the Japanese version since October, but here's the NA PS4 version. Not sure which one I want to play, although I should probably play the Japanese version if only just for reading practice. Flowers has been teaching me lots of advanced kanji recently, so I'm pretty confident that I can play Shin Megami Tensei in Japanese now.

If you ever get the Switch version as well, maybe think about keeping it sealed? I am not sure what has been going on with some Switch titles, especially some of the third party games, but I've seen some elevated prices. I looked up a couple of things I have (e.g., Code of Princess EX and even something common like Xenoblade Chronicles 2) and really?

1 hour ago, cybercylon said:

If you ever get the Switch version as well, maybe think about keeping it sealed? I am not sure what has been going on with some Switch titles, especially some of the third party games, but I've seen some elevated prices. I looked up a couple of things I have (e.g., Code of Princess EX and even something common like Xenoblade Chronicles 2) and really?

Actually, I was thinking about getting a used Japanese copy, as there are a few of them for like 4000 yen at the Tsutaya down the street from my house.

• GoldLeader
  • River Patroller
  • team_rank_subscriber.png
  • 4,626 posts

Around here the Thrift shops have dried up,...Like literally the only video games they Ever have now are Sports games for PS1/PS2 and XBOX,  and something called Kinect Adventures whatever that is...I think it's for XB 360 so doesn't count anyway haa...

However I was at the pawn shop the other day and came across something a little bit interesting.    Atari FB joysticks.   First, I told him they were for Flashback (and were not the original old ones),  and they were dusty as hell.  Upon checking them out, 2 seemed too loose to even work and I'm not even sure about the third one...I wonder if a BEST Gold kit would fit inside one of these?  I mean I know the cord placement is a little different, but...

Anyway he said he'd take $3 (or was it $2?) for one,  and eventually said he'd take $5, tax included for all 3 so I took'em.  Even if they become parts,  that's a pretty good deal I figure.  I haven't tried them out yet...

20210606_175737.thumb.jpg.bff42d2a3f1f215994df7cc30719149e.jpg

I'm quoting myself....only because I just posted this in the thrift shop thread, too and I'm too lazy to write it out again...So that's why you're seeing double...It's not just the booze ;)

• Like 2

Huang Di (Ch).nes

OK So here's something!    "Buy" might be the wrong wording, but...

For Years at this point I have been searching for a Rare,  Unlicensed Chinese, Pirate (if you will) Famicom Game called Huang Di,  which is supposed to be Pretty Good, if not Great according to a British magazine/softcover book I have.  Though I've never seen an Officially Unofficial one turn up on eBay, an Actual one you might say;   I Finally did see one end up on a multicart, but they wanted $120 for it.  (Pass).   So some years back I asked a couple of Repro Cart guys if they could make me one.  One had trouble figuring out the Mapper I think,...Another couldn't find the ROM.  So No Dice.

Then one day while looking in a new spot for ROMs for my Everdrive N8, There it was!!!  Proper format too and it works!!  YAY!!!  

20201224_051557.thumb.jpg.4bb5f1b8a5f6b6ac9d00afe390cdc6ef.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/6/2021 at 8:37 PM, GoldLeader said:
  • GoldLeader
  • River Patroller
  • team_rank_subscriber.png
  • 4,626 posts

Around here the Thrift shops have dried up,...Like literally the only video games they Ever have now are Sports games for PS1/PS2 and XBOX,  and something called Kinect Adventures whatever that is...I think it's for XB 360 so doesn't count anyway haa...

However I was at the pawn shop the other day and came across something a little bit interesting.    Atari FB joysticks.   First, I told him they were for Flashback (and were not the original old ones),  and they were dusty as hell.  Upon checking them out, 2 seemed to loose to even work and I'm not even sure about the third one...I wonder if a BEST Gold kit would fit inside one of these?  I mean I know the cord placement is a little different, but...

Anyway he said he'd take $3 (or was it $2?) for one,  and eventually said he'd take $5, tax included for all 3 so I took'em.  Even if they become parts,  that's a pretty good deal I figure.  I haven't tried them out yet...

20210606_175737.thumb.jpg.bff42d2a3f1f215994df7cc30719149e.jpg

I'm quoting myself....only because I just posted this in the thrift shop thread, too and I'm too lazy to write it out again...So that's why you're seeing double...It's not just the booze ;)

Iirc, the flashback controllers use rubber membrane switches and not metal dome. 

• Like 1

Got some extremely rare stuff today.

Andro Dunos for Neo Geo AES. This is the official Japanese rerelease version that just got released 5 days ago. Way cheaper than paying $3000+ for an original copy, but they only made 300 of these reissues, so don't wait if you want one. Only 34 mega power and very plain graphics for a Neo Geo game, but this game basically combines R-Type, Gradius, and Thunder Force into one awesome game, so you know it's definitely something that you need to try if you like shooting games. If you don't have a Neo Geo, there is a Dreamcast port being released in September. It's never been rereleased on any other system before, making the Dreamcast version quite interesting. It also has a sequel being released later this year that is being made by one of the most talented shooter developers ever, so definitely try that one, as well.

Pic_0609_722.thumb.jpg.98fcfc458296a90b81f8e477e7289753.jpg

Strelitzia no Hanakotoba. This is an apparently ridiculously rare drama CD for Flowers that happens 2 years after the end of the final game in that series, which I finished on Monday. I really hate how they decided to release the drama CDs for these games; the PC LE versions all contain drama CDs, which I have no problem with, but the Vita/PS4/Switch versions all had drama CDs as preorder bonuses, some of them unique to those specific versions and some not, and there are 2 that were released as standalone products, like Stelitzia no Hanakotoba. I don't have the 2 that were only released as Vita preorder bonuses or the first one that was sold separately, but I have the rest. It is still sealed for now, but I'll probably replay all of the games on PC or PS4 and listen to the drama CDs they came with along the way after finishing each game, as that's how you're supposed to do it. Hopefully the 3 drama CDs that take place after the final game, including this one, provide better closure than the extremely disappointing ending does, as I hated how weak the ending was and I'm not ready to part with this cast yet.

Pic_0609_729.thumb.jpg.aa5ba203301970968f14d794c99d0935.jpg

• Like 1

Not a recent buy, but something I found in the bottom of a box of Apple II stuff I bought probably 25 years ago.  Just got around to unpacking it after a recent move.  Near as I can tell, Creative Computing sold an Apple II disk of Spacewar back in 1980 so this shirt probably dates from around then. It's kid size so I'll never wear it, but in surprisingly good shape for 40 years old.

Spacewar_shirt.thumb.jpg.f0cd9813375bcac821f1d3fb4c822a32.jpg

• Like 8

I won a Goodwill auction of a 50 game lot of 2600 carts.  

I just got started putting back together my old 2600 collection, when I found this lot and it seemed like a good deal.  A few doubles in there, but quite a variety.

ataricarts.thumb.jpg.d1416d20086065c6b03828f403a38e75.jpg

Honestly when I first saw them, I didn't realize that "Smurfs Save the Day" was rare.  I found out looking through the guide on here.  I know I need the Kid Vid and the tapes to play it, but it was a nice bonus to this collection....

smurfs.thumb.jpg.634df9f11c883a21434da1d981ea53eb.jpg

The Rarity guide says you're supposed to brag for an 8, so that's what this is. ?

Edited by mwyounce
  • Like 3