IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

Picked up a plethora of controllers. Haven't tested everything yet but they seem to have minor issues that won't be hard to correct with a good cleaning. The advantage seems to be perfect except a squeak (that should be ok after some Plastic lubricant) and will make a great candidate for a tg16 conversion. Unfortunately the 3do controller was not identified to be basically mangled but it is what it is. Everything was sold as-is and for parts so no hard feelings. I just wish I knew the 3do controller was as janked up as it is.

PXL_20210703_030831261.thumb.jpg.18dd3d9750a8c1f2086ff49dd3c3d55e.jpg

Edit:

Realized I missed my opportunity to say plethora of peripherals. 

Edited by Dopy25
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bluejay said:

Powermac G4 graphite. 500MHz, 256mb SDRAM. OS 9.2. Seems to have an AGP ATI Rage 128. No keyboards or mice, but they’re cheap anyways. Paid the equivalent of $35.

39DC6A5B-EAA4-40B5-8773-153A8135D2E9.jpeg

I had one back in the day. It had dual G4 processors. I do remember replacing the video card at some point that gave it a nice boost of the time and allowed some of the fancier features of OS X to work. I don't remember what card I replaced the rage 128 with, and I don't recall what happened to mine (e.g., died and recycled it versus donating).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cybercylon said:

I had one back in the day. It had dual G4 processors. I do remember replacing the video card at some point that gave it a nice boost of the time and allowed some of the fancier features of OS X to work. I don't remember what card I replaced the rage 128 with, and I don't recall what happened to mine (e.g., died and recycled it versus donating).

I’ve looked into upgrading the video card into a Radeon 9000 series or a GeForce3 or 4, but they all seem too expensive. For now I’ll see what I can do with the current card, and if it’s really too slow, I’ll start looking for cards. 

On 7/4/2021 at 11:39 AM, bluejay said:

Powermac G4 graphite. 500MHz, 256mb SDRAM. OS 9.2. Seems to have an AGP ATI Rage 128. No keyboards or mice, but they’re cheap anyways. Paid the equivalent of $35.

39DC6A5B-EAA4-40B5-8773-153A8135D2E9.jpeg

Yeah, when I was a kid, my parents had one of these with OS 9 except it was the blue one. Gotta get that matching hockey puck mouse for the full experience~

I had my own Power Mac (not one of these, one of the older grey ones) when I was 6~14 before my father and I switched to Windows because they kind of completely stopped making Mac games around the time that Mac OS 10 was released, but I love pre-Mac OS 10 Macs and their games. Then 10 came along and everybody hated it, including me. You can now play the best version of X-Wing, by the way, as the Mac version is the best version and should work perfectly on that thing as far as I remember. Yes, Mac X-Wing is better than both DOS and Windows X-Wing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, when I was a kid, my parents had one of these with OS 9 except it was the blue one. Gotta get that matching hockey puck mouse for the full experience~

I had my own Power Mac (not one of these, one of the older grey ones) when I was 6~14 before my father and I switched to Windows because they kind of completely stopped making Mac games around the time that Mac OS 10 was released, but I love pre-Mac OS 10 Macs and their games. Then 10 came along and everybody hated it, including me. You can now play the best version of X-Wing, by the way, as the Mac version is the best version and should work perfectly on that thing as far as I remember. Yes, Mac X-Wing is better than both DOS and Windows X-Wing!

If it was blue it musta been a late G3, not a G4. G4’s were graphite or white/silver, and came with more standard looking mice than those hockey puck ones.

I haven’t been able to find much interesting games that I haven’t been able to find on DOS; or proper archives of them at all. Better yet, the Mac’s hard drive seems to have died a few hours ago. It won’t boot. 

So far the most interesting thing I’ve tried is the Connectix Virtual Game Station, which ran SotN really, really well. Don’t have any other games handy at the moment. I will be trying GT2 though. 

I do plan on installing OS X Tiger on that Mac once I have the hard drive sorted out though. If it doesn’t turn out to be of much use, I will downgrade back to 9.2.2. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluejay said:

If it was blue it musta been a late G3, not a G4. G4’s were graphite or white/silver, and came with more standard looking mice than those hockey puck ones.

I haven’t been able to find much interesting games that I haven’t been able to find on DOS; or proper archives of them at all. Better yet, the Mac’s hard drive seems to have died a few hours ago. It won’t boot. 

So far the most interesting thing I’ve tried is the Connectix Virtual Game Station, which ran SotN really, really well. Don’t have any other games handy at the moment. I will be trying GT2 though. 

I do plan on installing OS X Tiger on that Mac once I have the hard drive sorted out though. If it doesn’t turn out to be of much use, I will downgrade back to 9.2.2. 

Yeah, there were a few different models of them. It's been a long time since I've seen either of those Macs. I was about your age then and I'm my age now, so yeah, it's been a while.

For games, it wasn't uncommon for the Mac ports of DOS/Windows games to be superior from what I remember, even if it's something as simple as the Mac versions running at higher resolutions. Mac OS 10 really killed Mac gaming at the time, though. One of my friends had a Mac with 10 installed, which is how I came to hate OS 10, as I went to his house basically daily for a while. We both hated having to switch back to OS 9 temporarily to run older games and stuff. His Mac was brand new from the Mac dealership thingy. My personal Power Mac had difficulty running Allied Assault while his ran it no problem. I'm honestly extremely surprised that my father gave me my own Power Mac at age 6~7 in the mid-90s, now that I think about it, but damn did I love that computer.

Anyway, yeah, get that thing fixed and then play X-Wing, TIE Fighter, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Total Annihilation, Unreal (Tournament) and LucasArts adventure games on it and stuff like I did when I was your age. I honestly didn't see much point in installing OS 10 on mine and I ran OS 9.something until I switched to Windows.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, there were a few different models of them. It's been a long time since I've seen either of those Macs. I was about your age then and I'm my age now, so yeah, it's been a while.

For games, it wasn't uncommon for the Mac ports of DOS/Windows games to be superior from what I remember, even if it's something as simple as the Mac versions running at higher resolutions. Mac OS 10 really killed Mac gaming at the time, though. One of my friends had a Mac with 10 installed, which is how I came to hate OS 10, as I went to his house basically daily for a while. We both hated having to switch back to OS 9 temporarily to run older games and stuff. His Mac was brand new from the Mac dealership thingy. My personal Power Mac had difficulty running Allied Assault while his ran it no problem. I'm honestly extremely surprised that my father gave me my own Power Mac at age 6~7 in the mid-90s, now that I think about it, but damn did I love that computer.

Anyway, yeah, get that thing fixed and then play X-Wing, TIE Fighter, StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Total Annihilation, Unreal (Tournament) and LucasArts adventure games on it and stuff like I did when I was your age. I honestly didn't see much point in installing OS 10 on mine and I ran OS 9.something until I switched to Windows.

OpenGL was a big thing in the early years of OS X so I making a wild guess that porting from DirectX may have been too much of a pain to bother with for a niche crowd. Also... the whole PowerPC thing. I am also not sure if Steve Jobs saw it as important back then.

Still, there was some good stuff for the classic OS. There was one indie developer who made several arcade style games (mostly shooters), but for the life of me... I can't remember his name or the names of any of the games.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 1:19 PM, Dopy25 said:

Picked up a plethora of controllers. Haven't tested everything yet but they seem to have minor issues that won't be hard to correct with a good cleaning. The advantage seems to be perfect except a squeak (that should be ok after some Plastic lubricant) and will make a great candidate for a tg16 conversion. Unfortunately the 3do controller was not identified to be basically mangled but it is what it is. Everything was sold as-is and for parts so no hard feelings. I just wish I knew the 3do controller was as janked up as it is.

PXL_20210703_030831261.thumb.jpg.18dd3d9750a8c1f2086ff49dd3c3d55e.jpg

Edit:

Realized I missed my opportunity to say plethora of peripherals. 

A Gaggle of Gamepads!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

I bought a New 3DS LL battery from Nintendo. Yay, how boring. Hopefully it gets here soon.

I need to do this as my 'New' 3DSLL doesn't actually seem to charge anymore and within minutes the battery indicator blinks and it up and dies with nearly no warning at all. My fault for always leaving it in sleep mode, plugged in constantly sitting on a stand I guess for the past several years.

However, I did recently purchase and receive 2 Genesis RGB SCART cables from Insurrection Industries for a very specific reason...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I need to do this as my 'New' 3DSLL doesn't actually seem to charge anymore and within minutes the battery indicator blinks and it up and dies with nearly no warning at all. My fault for always leaving it in sleep mode, plugged in constantly sitting on a stand I guess for the past several years.

However, I did recently purchase and receive 2 Genesis RGB SCART cables from Insurrection Industries for a very specific reason...

Yeah, that is exactly how I store mine. Seems we both have exactly the same experience and we are both storing them the same way, so I think it's better if we don't do that anymore. My battery became swollen and actually partially cracked the back panel because of that, though. I thought it was safe to leave modern batteries plugged in all the time, like how it's supposedly safe to leave the Switch in its dock with the charger plugged in when it's not in use. I wonder if the Switch will do the same thing in a few years. I hope not.

16 minutes ago, 4300 said:

Grabbed a dirty,  but fairly mint boxed 7800 for pretty cheap off of ebay.  The seller listed it as "pole position game". Ironically,  it didn't come with pile position. 

20210710_132608.jpg

20210710_132616.jpg

Nice.  Clean her up and play some games. Btw, do the serial numbers match (box and console).