IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

M0100 mouse for my Mac 512Ke. The Mouse Systems optical mouse In have works but I don’t have the pad, so I was using a crinkled sheet of aluminum foil that really didn’t work all that well.

The previous owner seems to have bought all sorts of 3rd party accessories for the Mac; shame he didn’t buy those fancy accelerator, RAM, or hard drive mods. 

Well, I found some really cool stuff today...

I bought an arcade game for the first time today, and it's one of my absolute favourites:

Pic_0307_572.thumb.jpg.16885b81a6497d30453d0f42d0af2929.jpg

Despite my reputation, I do buy Nintendo games occasionally. If you can only buy 1 Famicom game, make it this one:

Pic_0307_570.thumb.jpg.bfdcb6b9c34cf940e88d18c1c514ff47.jpg

Now Sega things:

Pic_0307_569.thumb.jpg.df311c0416f2695d5a057bf87205e2fc.jpg

Finally, something that I have wanted for years and I FINALLY found one today! I wasn't looking for one actively due to their rarity and I never thought I'd see one, but I did and it's SO COOL and I had to have it!

Pic_0307_574.thumb.jpg.e52c2681df263b94061c56cabc4af08f.jpg

Holy crap I just tested it for the first time and it effortlessly beats the crap out of every other Mega Drive and Genesis I own in both video and audio! It's super awkward to actually hold, unfortunately, but damn does it look and sound incredible!

...and CD audio from the MegaSD DOES work! Mark III and Master System games do too! I can't believe this thing is this awesome!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:Finally, something that I have wanted for years and I FINALLY found one today! I wasn't looking for one actively due to their rarity and I never thought I'd see one, but I did and it's SO COOL and I had to have it!

Pic_0307_574.thumb.jpg.e52c2681df263b94061c56cabc4af08f.jpg

Holy crap I just tested it for the first time and it effortlessly beats the crap out of every other Mega Drive and Genesis I own in both video and audio! It's super awkward to actually hold, unfortunately, but damn does it look and sound incredible!

...and CD audio from the MegaSD DOES work! Mark III and Master System games do too! I can't believe this thing is this awesome!

Very cool! Does the 32x work with it?

33 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Very cool! Does the 32x work with it?

Theoretically, yes, but the 32X blocks the Mega Jet's power input. Unlike the Nomad, the Mega Jet doesn't have a way to use batteries and requires you to plug it in. You can technically use a 32X on a stock Nomad to some extent as long as you have the battery pack for the Nomad and you make sure to plug in the 32X's AC adaptor, but since the 32X covers the Nomad's video port, you can't actually run 32X games on the Nomad. You can use it as a passthrough device for regular Genesis/MD games, but Nomad + battery pack + batteries + 32X is really heavy, awkward, huge, probably a bit unsafe, and generally not a good idea.

Remember what I said a while ago about all Mega Drive variants being a compromise between audio and video? Well, I was wrong; Mega Jet kicks ass in all areas aside from being awkward to hold.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:Remember what I said a while ago about all Mega Drive variants being a compromise between audio and video? Well, I was wrong; Mega Jet kicks ass in all areas aside from being awkward to hold.

Hm, having played on only 2 Geneses so far without particularly concentrating on video/audio quality, I have no idea how much it would differ from standard Geneses. I can’t even tell the difference between my Genny 2 (VA6 iirc) and VA3 Model 1 lol

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Hm, having played on only 2 Geneses so far without particularly concentrating on video/audio quality, I have no idea how much it would differ from standard Geneses. I can’t even tell the difference between my Genny 2 (VA6 iirc) and VA3 Model 1 lol

There's a lot of variation in hardware, but it really depends. One thing to look for is jailbars, which I have on my VA4 MD to a small extent, on my VA6 MD to an extent to the point where it looks like someone drew vertical lines on my monitor with a marker, and I believe to a really small extent on my Nomad and VA0 MD2. My Mega Jet has Mega Sg quality video or is so damn close to it that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them unless I told you which one it was.

Composite video quality varies greatly, but all Mega Drive variants have native beautiful RGB (except for the Wondermega, which has native S-video instead of native RGB for some strange reason) aside from varying amounts of jailbars, and those can be fixed without a lot of trouble. It's the audio that's really inconsistent.

Some motherboard revisions have pretty terrible audio and some have really good audio. Easy test = play Sonic on your VA3, which I guarantee has excellent audio, and grab some rings. Then compare the sound of getting rings to the same sound effect on various other hardware revisions. This sound effect will likely sound extremely harsh on revisions with worse audio. It sounds fine on my VA4, Nomad (Nomad has excellent audio, surprisingly), and Mega Jet, and it's generally okay on my VA6 (but still noticeably not as good as the VA4, Nomad, or Mega Jet), but on my MD2 it's really harsh. My MD2 has harsh audio and doesn't sound very pleasant in general, so I never use it. Some people will say that you should avoid revisions that have the YM3438 and only go for ones with a YM2612, but those people obviously haven't used a Nomad. Pretty sure the Mega Jet has a YM3438, as well. I can find out really easily by running Hellfire on it to see if the music plays slowly, which I just realized that I forgot to do. One more test to do on the Mega Jet~

Yep, just tested and the Mega Jet does have a YM3438. It does have excellent audio, and I even used my professional studio monitor headphones to listen to it when I first got it, so yeah.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I got a Retro Tink 2X Pro to go with my Retro Tink  2X SCART.

20210309_010707.thumb.jpg.224181ac37c697a8c13c8fa133450462.jpg

How's it look?  Well here's Phoenix (Taito Legends PS2)

20210309_013612.thumb.jpg.f003c81278334aa88e6e1be1edb84f70.jpg

PC Engine~

Is your PC Engine stock or does it have RGB or something? Even if it's stock, I'm willing to bet the composite video will look great on the RetroTINK because all PC Engines have excellent composite (as far as composite goes). How does the PC Engine look?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

PC Engine~

Is your PC Engine stock or does it have RGB or something? Even if it's stock, I'm willing to bet the composite video will look great on the RetroTINK because all PC Engines have excellent composite (as far as composite goes). How does the PC Engine look?

It has the SCART RGB Mod.  And (through the Retro Tink) it looks Fantastic!  I had this other Retro Scaler (SCART to VGA) but I couldn't get it to work correctly very often,  I think it would lose sync or something...It would sometimes work,  for varying periods of time...

• Like 1

It's been a long while since I've had any pickups to share, what with the whole pandemic putting a major damper on my desire to go out and hunt around used game stores for cool games, but I do have 3 pretty awesome recent hardware acquisitions to share!

First up is a Hori Fighting Stick Multi that I scored from an eBay seller in Japan a couple weeks ago. It's a microswitched arcade stick with cables that allow it to work with the Sega Genesis (and Atari 2600), Super Nintendo, and PC Engine! So pretty much all the popular 16-bit era consoles other than the Neo Geo, and I gotta say it's the finest arcade stick I've ever had the pleasure of using for any of the systems it supports. The price tag was a little lofty, but totally worth it to have an outstanding quality stick for 3 of my favorite consoles! :D

HoriFightingStickMulti1.thumb.jpg.12a809a7339eec7f5078cf960c7d683a.jpg

HoriFightingStickMulti2.thumb.jpg.10e78284ad240598415edc7915a2cf4b.jpg

HoriFightingStickMulti3.thumb.jpg.605dfce8371ce420a0887783a151956e.jpg

HoriFightingStickMulti4.thumb.jpg.c1b115cc790d17d88a7334b1f74800e2.jpg

Next up is an XStation modded original PlayStation that I ordered from powrupgaming.com back at the beginning of January and just got in the mail today. They did a great job on the installation and it's seriously awesome to be able to play the entire PS1 game library off an SD card on original hardware and not have to worry about discs dying of bit rot or the astronomical prices of PS1 games anymore. They were also nice enough to include a near mint condition original DualShock controller with the system, which is pretty sweet since I didn't have a DualShock for the PS1 yet and I don't think I've ever seen one in this nice shape in the wild. I've already started a game of Tomb Raider on the system and the misses started playing Resident Evil 2 on it tonight and the XStation works great! 

PS1XStation.thumb.jpg.8a2dca1c8d8bca60d8d998a5f30a51bc.jpg

Lastly, after a lot of careful thought about what 3/4 scale arcade machine I wanted for my bedroom and a whole lotta saving up I finally put down the money for a Neo Geo MVSX today! The 16-bit era has always been my favorite time period in gaming, probably on account of it being the time I grew up during, and while Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and PC Engine games are familiar to me the Neo Geo has always been this rare and mysterious icon of 90's gaming luxury that I could only dream of one day affording; outside of playing Samurai Shodown and Puzzle Bobble on the MVS at my local Godfather's Pizza growing up. Well, not anymore! With this awesome looking official SNK 3/4 scale MVS emulation cab I'll finally have access to the whole of the Neo Geo game library, at least once I install the Hylostick X firmware on it. It may be an emulation machine and not a "real" MVS, but if it plays just as well and is an official SNK product then that's good enough for me. :)

1355469982_Screenshot_20210310-1554572.thumb.png.26174aea89692fa3cf2fc653c1b292b9.png

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

It's been a long while since I've had any pickups to share, what with the whole pandemic putting a major damper on my desire to go out and hunt around used game stores for cool games, but I do have 3 pretty awesome recent hardware acquisitions to share!

First up is a Hori Fighting Stick Multi that I scored from an eBay seller in Japan a couple weeks ago. It's a microswitched arcade stick with cables that allow it to work with the Sega Genesis (and Atari 2600), Super Nintendo, and PC Engine! So pretty much all the popular 16-bit era consoles other than the Neo Geo, and I gotta say it's the finest arcade stick I've ever had the pleasure of using for any of the systems it supports. The price tag was a little lofty, but totally worth it to have an outstanding quality stick for 3 of my favorite consoles! :D

HoriFightingStickMulti1.thumb.jpg.12a809a7339eec7f5078cf960c7d683a.jpg

HoriFightingStickMulti2.thumb.jpg.10e78284ad240598415edc7915a2cf4b.jpg

HoriFightingStickMulti3.thumb.jpg.605dfce8371ce420a0887783a151956e.jpg

HoriFightingStickMulti4.thumb.jpg.c1b115cc790d17d88a7334b1f74800e2.jpg

Next up is an XStation modded original PlayStation that I ordered from powrupgaming.com back at the beginning of January and just got in the mail today. They did a great job on the installation and it's seriously awesome to be able to play the entire PS1 game library off an SD card on original hardware and not have to worry about discs dying of bit rot or the astronomical prices of PS1 games anymore. They were also nice enough to include a near mint condition original DualShock controller with the system, which is pretty sweet since I didn't have a DualShock for the PS1 yet and I don't think I've ever seen one in this nice shape in the wild. I've already started a game of Tomb Raider on the system and the misses started playing Resident Evil 2 on it tonight and the XStation works great! 

PS1XStation.thumb.jpg.8a2dca1c8d8bca60d8d998a5f30a51bc.jpg

Lastly, after a lot of careful thought about what 3/4 scale arcade machine I wanted for my bedroom and a whole lotta saving up I finally put down the money for a Neo Geo MVSX today! The 16-bit era has always been my favorite time period in gaming, probably on account of it being the time I grew up during, and while Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and PC Engine games are familiar to me the Neo Geo has always been this rare and mysterious icon of 90's gaming luxury that I could only dream of one day affording; outside of playing Samurai Shodown and Puzzle Bobble on the MVS at my local Godfather's Pizza growing up. Well, not anymore! With this awesome looking official SNK 3/4 scale MVS emulation cab I'll finally have access to the whole of the Neo Geo game library, at least once I install the Hylostick X firmware on it. It may be an emulation machine and not a "real" MVS, but if it plays just as well and is an official SNK product then that's good enough for me. :)

1355469982_Screenshot_20210310-1554572.thumb.png.26174aea89692fa3cf2fc653c1b292b9.png

Nice Haul!!!

I especially like that Hori stick,...Great brand and Microswitched!!!

• Like 3

On 3/10/2021 at 5:20 AM, GoldLeader said:

It has the SCART RGB Mod.  And (through the Retro Tink) it looks Fantastic!  I had this other Retro Scaler (SCART to VGA) but I couldn't get it to work correctly very often,  I think it would lose sync or something...It would sometimes work,  for varying periods of time...

I can't say about anything but the OSSC, but sometimes the OSSC loses sync if the system has a refresh rate that varies from the standard NTSC 59.94Hz. I forget what the PC Engine's refresh rate is, but I know that the Neo Geo's refresh rate is different enough from NTSC standard to cause problems. I sometimes lose sync on my Neo Geo at the beginning of rounds in Garou: Mark of the Wolves and I have to wait for maybe 1~2 seconds for it to come back, which is more than long enough to get hit by ARE YOU OKAY?!?! BUSTER WOLF!!!!!!!!!!! if I don't pause the game immediately. I'd say it happens maybe 50% of the time or so. Most of the other games that I play are usually pretty good about not losing sync, but Mark of the Wolves in particular seems to like doing it.

Anyway, yeah, the PC Engine looks ultra tasty once you give it RGB or use the native RGB from the pins in the back if you have a non-DUO type. Actually even the composite video on the PC Engine is excellent (for composite standards).

• Like 1

I got F'ed!

940538391_ChannelF.thumb.jpg.081453a3e037a8604d7a5c72646a0576.jpg

I've been after one of these things, on and off, for literally 20 years.  It's the reason I started an eBay account, so this is a personal milestone (me in 2001: "$50 dollars bid! That's crazy!"). 

I lost interest at one point. I even held one in my hands at a big industrial thrift store (Urban Ore in Oakland) marked $20... and I put it back on the shelf.

Regretted that decision, obviously... since you can sell a broken one on eBay now for $150 easily.

Fitting, since mine is broken (the whole... "doesn't power on, as-is for parts" thing).  But, hey, it looks clean!  I'm told this is a pic of the actual unit.  I've fixed a lot of electronic crap on Earth so far.  With optimism, I'm planning to say a chant to Bira-Bira whilst I hold aloft my multimeter and soldering iron, and hope for the best of luck when it arrives and I crack it open next week. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I lost interest at one point. I even held one in my hands at a big industrial thrift store (Urban Ore in Oakland) marked $20... and I put it back on the shelf.

Oof. That's rough. I think at $20, even back in the day, and even if I didn't want it, I'd have still picked it up.

image.thumb.png.f669d617a93082ffa58a71a489369cd7.png

Arrived yesterday and got installed today! 

This one is staying in the Saturn. I have a PAL VA SD so it's child's play to get the PAL/NTSC automatic switching to work, just solder a wire between the MODE and one of the pins on SW4. No IC pin lifting or cutting traces required, the console just pops over into 60Hz when an NTSC game gets loaded.

These are compatible with Saturn and Dreamcast.  The only downside is that now I have to get another one for the Dreamcast.

• Like 2

I'm a bit of a sucker for late 90s, early 2000s game systems, so I bought this Neo Geo Pocket Color off Ebay. It was listed as "broken", but the only problems I had with this handheld were having to deal with some of the battery contacts being snapped off and the battery compartment being caked with a strange, brown substance.

20210313_232916.thumb.jpg.3e71d693c445b0c5afe3f3a93a047ae4.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Bought this after midnight last night (thanks beer), so it counts for today.

32x.thumb.jpg.6893766e10516d4374080d842e0b03d5.jpg

I think I'm going to have my hands full between this and the Channel F.

Most of the the time when a 32X isn't working it's because the rather loose fitting ribbon cable between the two boards inside wiggled it's way loose. With any luck all you'll have to do is reseat the cable to get it working, but if not... uhhh, good luck with that. The 32X is a super cramped capacitor litany nightmare inside XD

• Like 4