IGNORED

In the words of Homer J Simpson.... DoH!

CyranoJ

Maybe now Frontier is playable CJ can work on this one? This and Buggy Boy would be the ones to convince me to set up a Jaguar, really not interested in all that jerky 3d stuff, these are two of my all time ST favourites.

Mouse and rotary, please!

• Like 1

OK, I have a Jaguar set up. Tried at 50Hz and it runs at the correct speed. It's still a little tricky to control with d-pad vs the original with a mouse, but it's not impossible. Most painful thing is no fire button :P

At 60Hz obviously it plays too fast.

There's also corruption on-screen in menus etc. on hardware but that's likely down to the game running too fast in those parts. Happens in both 50 and 60.

This could genuinely be one of the Jaguar's best games if it ends up being finished, love it!

Definitely cool... but Impulse-X basically gives you this game already on cart for the Jaguar... w/ Rotary support.

That would be fine except for the fact that 1) rotary control on Impulse X is a joke, 2) collision detection in Impulse X is a joke, and 3) Impulse X is expensive.

Other than that, yeah, completely agree! :P

rotary control in DoH is a joke too (at the moment) ;)

+1, it's a combination of over-sensitive and sluggish depending on how it feels. Can't play that yet, mouse please!

That would be fine except for the fact that 1) rotary control on Impulse X is a joke, 2) collision detection in Impulse X is a joke, and 3) Impulse X is expensive.

1. It's not smooth and analogue-feeling, the mouse/trackball is a much better option for Impulse, even the guys who made the Falcon original it is ported from (not the ST Impact that inspired it) said mouse FTW.

2. There are peculiarities with diagonals, it's not something that's unique to Impulse as I've seen it before in old breakout games. It feels like one of those problems where you scratch your head for a while unable to think how to right it and end up massively over-engineering a solution that never really works, then suddenly picard the forehead once you see what escaped you.

3. Compared to free, infinitely, but the CD is reasonable and carts are never cheap.

Edited by sh3-rg

That would be fine except for the fact that 1) rotary control on Impulse X is a joke,

Phew, thought it was just me being "anal" again! :rolling:

There *is* something funky going on that way. Wouldn't call it a complete joke, but your paddle doesn't feel or behave 'right'.

Man, do have to say... if there can ever be a JagCD compilation disc, packed to the brim with ST/Amiga conversions and a nice front end to select games - I'd be in hog heaven! :lol:

• Like 1

Maybe I should stop posting for a while... the Jaguar forum isn't used to this kind of pace.

Ok, let me take a step back here, apologize, and re-clarify. By NO MEANS would I even begin to discourage anyone from developing on the jaguar, at all. Second, I love Arkanoid... hands down, it was one of my favorite games growing up. So please don't misunderstand what I'm saying... Jaguar development, and Arkanoid are both awesome. I guess what I was REALLY trying to say is... I wish more people would convert or develop more games for the Jaguar that aren't already like dozens of other games that we already have. Case in point... Blackout, seems like a cool game, lots of cool music, but it's like at least a half-dozen other graphically pleasing puzzle games on the Jaguar, like Flip-Out, etc. Impulse-X was AWESOME in that we had NOTHING like that on the Jaguar except Breakout 2000 (which failed in the Arkanoid realm of games). Some of the new homebrews like Downfall+ are relatively simple, but aesthetically and acoustically pleasing... so awesome! All the Songbird games are awesome too... three versions of Protector, which is already a duplicate of Defender 2000 for the most part... yeah... don't get me wrong, I bought and love them all.

But I guess if I was ruler of the world (or the fastest, superest programmer in all the land that knew every language), I would do several conversions of games to the Jaguar that I believe would provide more balance / depth to the library. (posted below)

Other than that, yeah, completely agree! :P

Impulse-X is awesome... I have a Jaguar rotary controller... forget who I bought it from... Python, something like that? I don't remember... named after a snake or something, but it's awesome. I find the controls on Impulse-X to be excellent. I've not had any issues with collision detection either. But yes, it is definitely expensive... but they do sell the CD version at less than half the price of the cartridge version.

---- TEAR LINE ----

So here are some games that I would LOVE to see on the Jaguar, but again... I apologize if I came off sounding like someone who was complaining. I see the talent being used and think it's awesome... but if I was ruler of the world, here are some games I would love to see ported that I think could be easily console-based, fairly compatible with the power / speed of the Jaguar, and would have playability:

Realms (for Atari ST)

Space Crusade (for Atari ST)

Adventures of Willy Beamish

Just to name a couple of totally random ones.

Oh, go on then. Seeing as you drew some Rebooteroids pixels. Throw the dog a bone....

Just jagpad for now... will investigate proper rotary controls for this.

attachicon.gifDoH.ABS

Ask Minter via Twitter if you can use his rotary controller code from Tempest 2000. He'd probably go for it as long as you threw in a "Special Thanks to Jeff Minter" credit.

Ask Minter via Twitter if you can use his rotary controller code from Tempest 2000. He'd probably go for it as long as you threw in a "Special Thanks to Jeff Minter" credit.

Why? I think I'll use mine from Kobayashi Maru, Downfall+ or Rebooteroids, thanks.....

• Like 6

No offence ;)

This is all too much fun to get bogged down in nitpicking 'Jaguar forum' drama - just go with the flow and enjoy the games ;)

Or, don't bother, and sit in the corner sulking at the 16 bit ports.

Either way, I DON'T CARE, because I'M HAVING FUN.

:D

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 7

No offence ;)

This is all too much fun to get bogged down in nitpicking 'Jaguar forum' drama - just go with the flow and enjoy the games ;)

Or, don't bother, and sit in the corner sulking at the 16 bit ports.

Either way, I DON'T CARE, because I'M HAVING FUN.

:D

Let's talk about BattleSphere and Gorf...

• Like 1

I noticed you're releasing a lot of game images for the Jaguar that I can use on the Skunk. What is it that you're doing. Do you have the source code for these games, or have you simply written a wrapper or something? I know the game looks horrible, but I would LOVE to have those first two games on the Jaguar... particularly Realms. Is this something I can do myself? I've never really done game development, only business applications (C++ / C# / whatever).