IGNORED

In the words of Homer J Simpson.... DoH!

CyranoJ

What is it that you're doing. Do you have the source code for these games, or have you simply written a wrapper or something?Is this something I can do myself?

I'm patching binaries. I don't have the source code. No, there is no wrapper. It wasn't simple. Probably not ;)

• Like 1

I'm patching binaries. I don't have the source code. No, there is no wrapper. It wasn't simple. Probably not ;)

Hah... arrogance is common among developers. I understand that.

Let me rephrase, I was asking if it required something proprietary for me to be able to do it... not whether or not I was capable of doing it.

Let me rephrase, I was asking if it required something proprietary for me to be able to do it... not whether or not I was capable of doing it.

It's not arrogance, I just woke up. There's no magic toolkit to do these, each one is different.

• Like 2

Think I've linked this before, CJ wrote a piece for our site outlining the processes involved. It's an enjoyable read whatever the level of understanding of the reader as it's not so much a technical document per se, more an overview.

Basically, CJ can do this stuff because he has a deep understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to the ST, its games, how they do what they do and how to make them do other things when it suits him (i.e. hacking the tits off them - see D-Bug,etc.). Match that with what he does with the Jaguar, some leet SCPCD screen conversion routines and a desire to give people games to play, and there you have it. Probably very few people cover all those fields and can couple them with a desire to make it happen.

He does sometimes come across as arrogant though, you're right, but then... I think you're allowed to when you can back it up with 20 years of release after release ;0)

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 8

Think I've linked this before, CJ wrote a piece for our site outlining the processes involved. It's an enjoyable read whatever the level of understanding of the reader as it's not so much a technical document per se, more an overview.

Basically, CJ can do this stuff because he has a deep understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to the ST, its games, how they do what they do and how to make them do other things when it suits him (i.e. hacking the tits off them - see D-Bug,etc.). Match that with what he does with the Jaguar, some leet SCPCD screen conversion routines and a desire to give people games to play, and there you have it. Probably very few people cover all those fields and can couple them with a desire to make it happen.

He does sometimes come across as arrogant though, you're right, but then... I think you're allowed to when you can back it up with 20 years of release after release ;0)

All "good" programmers are arrogant, it comes with the territory. Of course, not all arrogant programmers are good programmers (but to be clear, not suggesting CJ isn't good). Good (and wise) programmers, as with any technical people, generally want to be surrounded by people who are smarter than them (when possible) because they know they will learn. The biggest waste for a good programmer is to be stuck in a situation where he/she is the smartest person in the organization..

That is REALLY interesting, and this is not so much aimed at Austin when I say this but this tangent when I say... you know what I would find more interesting? Getting Joystick controls for Arkanoid. Any luck with that?

Posts 6 and 11 have the binaries for pad (a bit difficult, not responsive enough) & rotary control (iffy, can be twitchy).

If you meant getting them in a better state somehow, can't help with that, those were the latest binaries posted.

Dis the speccy one more time - I dares ya :)

Sure it has it's faults, but it was a third of the price of a C64 or other such computers, putting home computing within the budget of most households. Add to that that you could start programming out of the box with it's very good built in basic and the fact that you could gain access to any part of the system through machine code and nothing was hidden from you. For sheer hackability and what developers have, and still are, squeezing out of it, the speccy can't be beaten.

One could argue that the speccy and sinclair research are the great grand parents of the Jag as a number of members of sinclair went on to become flare.

There's one in this thread somewhere.

Posts 6 and 11 have the binaries for pad (a bit difficult, not responsive enough) & rotary control (iffy, can be twitchy).

If you meant getting them in a better state somehow, can't help with that, those were the latest binaries posted.

Hmmm... I'll admit I missed those in my reading, but I as a Arkanoid fan I cheer on improvements.

Someone pointed out a pathetic mispelling on the CD-R and DVD box decos

As the Queen is reluctant to change the english language for me, please find below new deco with correct text :D

T8Lu.jpg

edKT.jpg

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 4

That is very, very close to being right. The long-range twitch acceleration is spot on, it's only the minute movements that should result in single-pixel steps of movement that are a problem - there's little fine movement at all, it seems to jump about 8 pixels when trying to crawl a single one.

With Chaos Reins, I feel like a leet ninja with the medium one - I can dash and creep, panic and get a last-ditch catch. Low is low - too low, can't spin the spin fast enough to catch the ball.

Med is the closest to a real analoge paddle I've experienced, almost rivals playing with mouse on ST.

• Like 1

After more play, medium is the best for both my large-knobbed Wii stick spinner and the Chaos Reins, however, it's too eager to dart off sometimes. I'm not sure how to explain this best, but the response seems to me to be on a curve rather than a point from A to C... tiny spin = tiny movement, fast whip - max movement... between those two... argh, I dunno :0)

More play on all versions, my last comments for now - low is the only option to allow for real fine control, the others only do this when they feel like it. Problem is, it's too slow at the top end, it needs more of an acceleration curve, more movement over time, remaining minute at tiny turn rates but taking off when you whip.

I feel the low one would be the best option if my spinner had a slightly higher resolution, I can't comfortably move from one side of the screen to the other speedily and repeatedly. It's very close though :)

now you just need to slow it down and make it playable :D Especially at 60Hz, crazy fast.

Edited by sh3-rg

So, beta testing some code for U235 (thanks, Linko!)

Here's some proppa spinner action. I managed to complete the first screen with the spinner, so it must be ok :P

attachicon.gifDoH-Rotaries.ABS

Glad I could help :)

Not had chance to play, just about to dash off to bed but had to see what was what 1st :D

I think some kind of acceleration may help? If the delta is greater than say 3 for 2 reads amplify it by 1.5/2 or something and more for larger over longer periods? There is probably some funky formula you could apply..

I have seen your second email but only scanned it, not 100% on it yet, will ponder on it's puzzles and no doubt be woken at some stupid hour with a possibility :D

• Like 1