IGNORED

Need help with emulators

Goirish3

Any one on here got the patience to help me out with some emulators? Would highly appreciate it. Just had foot surgery so I got like 3 weeks of nothingness ahead of me... Would like to play some old video games. But I am having trouble with Nostalgia and how to play games on Mame. Thanks to everyone

Can you get more specific?

I'm certainly able to help you with both (recently i'm torturing myself with MESS)

Both emulators you need help for i run since many years.

I can remember that i even dared to run MESS on my old A4000, but thats a decade ago.

to run coin-ops it should be no big thing, in general you just have to specify the path to the ROM images

(resp. .zip files usually they contain multiple images, it can happen that a certain game won't run which worked in a previous version, at lest that's my experience)

To start the default config will be fine.

Usually with Tab you call the configuration menu when a game runs, from this you can configure the controllers in general or specifically for the running game.

That should be enough to run and play.

sreen settings and such you can experience which are the most pleasing to you, usually if you keep the aspect ratio it's ok, certain games which was diplayed 90° rotated are to slim if displayed in aspect ratio.

You can set screen resolutions and effects (e.g. a "beam width" for vector games) for each game separate.

but specifiying the ROM path is the most important (you can add paths for various systms i.e.),

if you have samples (a few coin-op games need samples for sound which was produced by "common electronics" - discrete elements, in other words a couple of semiconductors).

you need to specify this folder as well.

some folders default to the folder it runs from and doesn't need to be specified.

but i have to see what has changed, i have to download me a recent release first.

---

To run a system or a console can be difficult i experienced, i tried to run Intellivision in MESS today, or i liked to, but it didn't works out, resp. "Sears" works fine (it's a MESS!)

It needs more images as a specific emulator for a specific machine, since they aren't present in the emulator (still it's a riddle to me, it recognizes the exec.bin properly but still refuses to run, searsexec works fine, ok in principles are both the same, interesting is that for the intellivision MESS asks for a further image, now what? same machine? one runs the other needs a extra image? confusing).

But i remember, it could be similar to the no longer working arcade games, as soon as a better dump of a rom (any, even if that is only one of five in a .zip) is known the old is not longer supported.

---

for Nostalgia it should be easy as 1,2,3 (from my pov)

even just specify the ROM path proper and there you go (as long as the "BIOS" in Nostalgias home folder is present)

---

it's listed in the instructions to nostalgia, but nonetheless

exec.bin

grom.bin

(optionally, ivoice.bin, ecs.bin)

one must be owner of these roms to legally use a image on a computer.

(caugh)

a PD "BIOS" is included and many PD should run fine with that

(i noticed even a few other)

Edited by Gernot

if you are looking for MAME this will be the most comfortable solution

http://www.mameui.info/

and works in the way i described above, a nice graphical ui in windows style all in one (you won't need mame.exe and it's up to date).

this is a quite old project and i would wish a intellivision emulator with such a nice ui displaying nice litle icons for the games :)

i forgot after you specified a path to the roms you need to refresh the list (menu "view" in this software).

Edited by Gernot

Thank you. It was all way over my head! But thank u! As far as Nostalgia goes... I thought it was easy... But the roms I have dl don't work. It just stays on a green screen with title of game. The Mame thing... I honestly am not sure what u said!! Any chance u want to remote on to my comp some time and set some things up for me?

MAMEUI is really the most comfartable porting of MAME, it's the recent MAME release with a user interface, it still needs some time i know, it was like chinese to me (almost) when i first opened it.

but once you run mameui i guess you should understand soon how it works, MAME offers even a handful of free roms (not PD) i noticed, it seems it's a sort of gift.

I didn't thought about such a "advanced" possibility to do it remotly, but hmm hand me a soldering iron but i have no idea how that works ;)

(no, i just never done that before)

It would be worth a try.

---

recently i'm setting MESS up, it's a beast but the result is worth the effort, the intellivision is very good emulated, it's like it should be the most accurate emulator, you can hear it that's what one notices first.

in general you could use MESS as well, the MESSUI is similar to MAMEUI, but MESSUI you find on the official website of MESS.

To start a coin-op game you have to do exactly the same things.

note, following works only for mameui or messui (in this simple way)

and that's really not much, move the zipped rom files to the mame or mess "rom" folder and pick from the menupoint "options" - "Directories", the very first that jumps on you is the folder for the roms (search the folder),

this is just to start the only thing you need to know, all other folders default to the folder MAME/MESS is installed.

select "view" and "refresh", have some patience.

on the left you see a something like a directory tree, select "available" and your present games will be shown.

doubleclick on one and it starts.

of course one likes to setup screen resolution and especially joypads, but one after the other.

you should see a screen and a running game.

matter of choice, but one can decorate MESS in the same way

icons you find in link for mamegui i linked previousely, but as you can see i have made in the last decade a few own one (it didn't took me such long, i made them very early roundabout release 0. 8)

i know i a mean dude, but on the other hand, maybe ten machines i would own at least if i would count all the money i spent in them in my youth.

a was comlpetly addicted, lost... - doomed ;)

and i wasn't even good :( at least not as good that could have played 4 - 8 hrs with one coin.

but there was a rule for coinops, 3 minutes for a average player (in the beginning they had to experience this first, players played faster and learned far quicker as they expected).

but like i said i don't keep the 3 day marathon record on space invaders.

in general you don't have to configure much, joystick input defaults to "joystick 0" the rest to keyboard (trackball or other input devices)

there is a menupoint under "options" - "default game settings"

and you have to say they are nice am i right?

(the classic windows look suits to "grandpa", it's win7, i feel it looks more neat as the aero tard, i don't need that we played nearly 20 years ago with such "toys" on the amiga,

but transparent windows or revolving, in the end it's only a eyecatcher)

and they didn't only look sleek they good as well.

i hope i have convinced you from mameui or messui, you could forget nostalgia with mess and could run both from the same emulator resp user interface.

it's really accurate

i found one exception so far "worldcup soccer" seems to hang after a goal or the first half (at least my to 2x10 mins hacked version, i would have to play a original dump first, with any else emulator i haven't such a error), but the MESS team will appreciate such "bad news" it's their goal to reach the highest possible accuracy.

MAMEUI is really the most comfartable porting of MAME, it's the recent MAME release with a user interface, it still needs some time i know, it was like chinese to me (almost) when i first opened it.

but once you run mameui i guess you should understand soon how it works, MAME offers even a handful of free roms (not PD) i noticed, it seems it's a sort of gift.

I didn't thought about such a "advanced" possibility to do it remotly, but hmm hand me a soldering iron but i have no idea how that works ;)

(no, i just never done that before)

It would be worth a try.

---

recently i'm setting MESS up, it's a beast but the result is worth the effort, the intellivision is very good emulated, it's like it should be the most accurate emulator, you can hear it that's what one notices first.

in general you could use MESS as well, the MESSUI is similar to MAMEUI, but MESSUI you find on the official website of MESS.

To start a coin-op game you have to do exactly the same things.

note, following works only for mameui or messui (in this simple way)

and that's really not much, move the zipped rom files to the mame or mess "rom" folder and pick from the menupoint "options" - "Directories", the very first that jumps on you is the folder for the roms (search the folder),

this is just to start the only thing you need to know, all other folders default to the folder MAME/MESS is installed.

select "view" and "refresh", have some patience.

on the left you see a something like a directory tree, select "available" and your present games will be shown.

doubleclick on one and it starts.

of course one likes to setup screen resolution and especially joypads, but one after the other.

you should see a screen and a running game.

matter of choice, but one can decorate MESS in the same way

post-41280-0-93463400-1421336703_thumb.jpg

it really doesn't only looks good - the seperation between originals and clones (would have to be sorted by "clones of" not by names) of is very helpful for a good overview.

icons you find in link for mamegui i linked previousely, but as you can see i have made in the last decade a few own one (it didn't took me such long, i made them very early roundabout release 0. "eight"

i know i a mean dude, but on the other hand, maybe ten machines i would own at least if i would count all the money i spent in them in my youth.

a was comlpetly addicted, lost... - doomed ;)

and i wasn't even good :( at least not as good that could have played 4 - 8 hrs with one coin.

but there was a rule for coinops, 3 minutes for a average player (in the beginning they had to experience this first, players played faster and learned far quicker as they expected).

but like i said i don't keep the 3 day marathon record on space invaders.

in general you don't have to configure much, joystick input defaults to "joystick 0" the rest to keyboard (trackball or other input devices)

and you have to say they are nice am i right?

(the classic windows look suits to "grandpa", it's win7, i feel it looks more neat as the aero tard, i don't need that we played nearly 20 years ago with such "toys" on the amiga,

but transparent windows or revolving, in the end it's only a eyecatcher. certainly i like a especially eith icons decorated emulator, thet looks good and makes sense, you have a better overview,

apart fromthat pleases a icon more as just a stereotype button or the rom icons you see in messui, they look neat but individual icons give the games individuality, obviousely)

and they didn't only look sleek they run good as well.

i hope i have convinced you from mameui or messui, you could forget nostalgia with mess and could run both from the same emulator resp user interface.

it's really accurate

i found one exception so far "worldcup soccer" seems to hang after a goal or the first half (at least my to 2x10 mins hacked version, i would have to play a original dump first, with any else emulator i haven't such a error), but the MESS team will appreciate such "bad news" it's their goal to reach the highest possible accuracy.

but yes call me up like i said for the case of a remote help i guess you would have to give me a few advices (or i will have to investigate first).

Edited by Gernot

You should probably get the most recent version of MAMEUI (either 32 or 64 bit depending on your OS) or close to it, and then google to find a website that offers current roms. One issue with MAME is that popular ROM sites usually have outdated MAME roms. And that can get frustrating quick.

Another thing is that you want to download the "parent" rom. MAME will show you which one that is in its roms listing, but it's usually the one that is the largest... like if other roms for that game are like 100 kilobytes, and one of them is 5 megabytes, then that is what you download. Just put the entire zip file in MAME's rom directory.

A nice thing about MAME is that it automatically detects and configures gamepads. You don't have to worry about configuring it.

with the above links you certainly have the latest crap

(certainly a few doesn't work no more, after 10 years?)

and true it's comfortable and not very hard to run a first arcade game.

and the handful of roms which mame offers are a generosity.

And it's true it would be to whish more copyright holders would take the decision to legalize them for non commercial use and distribution.

Many of us own them anyway ilegally, and that's the problem you can receive them easy but it would be a crime to use them.

ok, if you own the system,

i.e. as owner of a500 i'm allowed to dump the roms for personal use.

(let's say as owner i can feel so free to use them in anyway, as long as i keep that to myself, i can stick them on my forhead or flush them down the drain, from my pov, someone else can interprete that different)

to get me images of my good old miggy disks on my windoze is no problem, some diskswapping if you use a A500

apart from that the list of games is long.

but each coin-op you play is a own machine for which you needet the rights to own rom dumpings.

Those few "Teasers" are welcome.

if some would sell a arcade replica with i don't know many games he certainly would have to care about the licenses (for each probably), even for the offered ones.

For your living room it would be tolerated i guess, as long as there is no prosecutor?.

It keeps it alive.

(that font looks exactly like the "sailer" font)

Edited by Gernot

I have no idea whether or not this is a reputable site, but here's a link I spotted:

https://kickass.so/mame-v0-139-full-arcade-set-roms-easy-install-t4334222.html

An alternative approach to using the newest version of MAME is to try one that's known to work really well. I'd say try MAME32 version 0.35.

If you're finding the ROMs you have aren't loading, try a few different versions of MAME with those ROMs. The ROMs should be left zipped-up as .zip files. MAME will do the depacking for you as it loads each game into memory. Anyway, one of the many versions out there is bound to be able to open those ROMs. It's pretty confusing, since the ROM sets for the various versions of MAME differ, so it's important to match up the set of ROMs to the version of MAME they're compatible with.

MAME32 (Windows) is nice to use, since the interface is graphical and easy to navigate. If you're using an older Mac, the equivalent is MacMAME (uses the same ROM set as MAME32 v. 0.35).

Of 200 "only" 120 are left which work in the new release, while i never updated them since long.

but of course i still have a older and a even ancient release of MAME32, to play the game it won't matter much, then they had to emulate this or that chip and it's imperfect, it might be the goal of MESS

to say "we do this out of scientific interest" (others grow magic mushrooms because of "scientific interest", it's a wide to inteprete term), i'm so honest to say i do it because gaming is fun.

Most of what doesn't works anymore i won't miss much i guess.

In general i hang on the games i played a s a child, the rest isn't that interesting to me, they are ok but i have quite enough games to play.

Besides coin-ops are nothing you can play relaxed from the couch, nah i'm gettin' to old for that :)

Even if one on spacesimcentral mentioned once he likes to fix a pair of joysticks to his rollator.

I guess i start to work in geriatrics again, could be funny to play with the dudes a old videogame.

OK couild i also say exchanging them i do out of "scientific interest", let's start a blog about it then;

"the influence of exchanging illigal entitled software on social behave"

For this blog i need out of "scientific interest" facts.

This facts i can only gather if i spread the illigal entitled software.

---

that's a quite good link!

no problem to link such here?

i'm a nube here and i'm a bit cautios with such.

Edited by Gernot

Correction, not such a "good" link above (not your fault Nebulon)

At thread starter Goirish3

I PM'd you that it can be dangerous, this is dangerous, i can't say how it is if you use something like bittorrent.

But the downloaders they offer to download that library are trojan spillers!

They will infect the whole system especially everything which has connectivity to the web, all browsers etc.

Even the common explorer (not internet explorer, the one you need to open any file) will be infected.

It's nothing really harmful but persistant advertises and starting page trackers are a treat.

It will exchange your standard search machine with some bullshit and it's damned hard to get rid of that if once infected.

That's annoying enough and after you get no more proper searchresult and nearly any search will end on some dubios site who likes to sell some crap to you,

i.e. some leather sex accesoires, though if you aren't interested in leather or polyethylene sex then.....

But they even go further they will infect seriously some system data, the installer or false system files smuggle themself as a update to

"MS Visual C redistributable" in the system, however i assume due to that they can manipulate core system files.

HANDS OFF!

and if,

i told you use a virtual machine or a second you can erase the system later on without loss.

I would say.

(dammit answer, i fear it's already to late, i know in the meanest case your browsers & e-mail programs won't run anymore, you can't in such a case even call for help.

a horrible damage nowadays)

Edited by Gernot

Correction, not such a "good" link above (not your fault Nebulon)

At thread starter Goirish3

I PM'd you that it can be dangerous, this is dangerous, i can't say how it is if you use something like bittorrent.

But the downloaders they offer to download that library are trojan spillers!

They will infect the whole system especially everything which has connectivity to the web, all browsers etc.

Even the common explorer (not internet explorer, the one you need to open any file) will be infected.

It's nothing really harmful but persistant advertises and starting page trackers are a treat.

Gah! Whoops.

Sorry sorry sorry!! :-o

Crap, I didn't realize that site was a virus pit.

My apologies. I hope no one's machine was infected.

Any recommendations on utilities for detection and removal of this sort of thing (aside from Norton, McAfee, AntiVir, SpyBot, or Adaware)?

almost buddy ;)

it's safe as long as you use a peer2peer software

halfaways

i live in switzerland

switzerland didn't subscribed to the SOPA

our government has, let's say paused it, they just didn't answered to it.

in switzerland it's legal to use a peer2peer program to download almost anything you like, we are free citizens

(US would be as well and i know many US citizens who totally dislike the infringement of their citizens rights)

but it's forbidden to upload, or would be (means theoretically you have to set the peer2peer program to that you won't share).

we have this advantage to be the home for many global players like our banks CS, UBS, companies like Nestlé or Sandoz

one can think now about them what he likes, personally i hate them especially companies like Nestlé, also our Banks are true Mafiosi, imo.

thus we don't fear restrictions of the US government, it would be a bad deal for them as well

it's a balance of powers, today it's not longer measured in amount of nuclear weapons, there is a different "cold war" going on.

a war about money and resources.

while if one liked to be mean he could say the EU sucks the chocalate out... you know from where.

Funny is what some swiss vice versa i assume some US think of each other nation

while i always say:

"c'mon, we are almost identical, we have (almost) the same constitution,

both are federations, each state has its own government and its own right to judge as long as it complies to the constitution,

both nations seem to be rich while most of the capital belongs to a few,

both are very proud of their nation,

both have to be aware of nationalism as biggest danger"

In any case if switzerland would be as large & powerful as the USA, we would act pretty the same

and even we would play the role of a "world police".

We, both, can't imagine something else as our type of democracy.

only the offered downloaders are infected, in general one should avoid to use them wherever one pops up

it's unfortunately somewhat "popular" to use them.

they live from advertises, now obviousely the effect of a advert is limited, at least i don't mind about them, if they like then can plaster the page full of adverts

i won't buy something or click on any advert.

Admins of such sites can offer a more agressive way to advertise, e.g. to use the download helper to install a software or in worse cases a tracker.

mostly they get "abused" to install either software you don't wanted or adverts for i don't know i.e. leather *** utilities

in more worse cases they install a different search machine which appears exactly like good ole' Google i.e.,

but will redirect you to above named sites instead to the site you was looking for

(personally i wonder what effect this has, i mean i.e. something like that would happen to you

enter "atariage" to Google been redirected to "fine leather acessoires" would you buy something there?

i can't imagine)

other similar trackers, they appear only in the google searchbar and aren't to remove very easy, but i.e. if something like that would happen,

enter the name of the searchmachine you like to get rid off in google (assuming it still gives you proper results) and you certainly find a step-by-step advice to remove them.

it's nothing which harms your machine only goddammit annoying

in a worst case it can be a trojan.

a senseful precaution is to set a recovery point befor you download, resp. use such a download helper they offer.

because in case it would spread such files on your HD, you can simply call the recovery and load the previous saved system state.

files which was installed inbetween will be deleted.

Certainly i tested them, else i wouldn't know it, but recovery point set,

the first of the two download helpers was blocked by kaspersky, i set that myself when i stumbled once over one, thus i "told" kaspersky "block them".

there is a second one and i thought "let's give it a try".

Horrible, kaspersky nearly flipped out, and while it was downloading and installing continously warnings popped up.

trojan here, tracker there.

Besides the requested file it didn't downloaded, only junk :)

They use a mean tactic to fool windows, the installer smuggles itself as a update to "MS visual C"

in the system and due to that it can manipulate protected system files.

(i noticed this by checking "installed software" in the "control panel", because i know i haven't updated it since date xx, ergo anything else must be fake

because i didn't even trust MS, thus i like to be informed when windows likes to update something, i've made a few bad experiences in the past with so called

"security relevant updates" and since that i like to know what it is what gets updated)

it seems they use a stolen signature, because windows complains about nothing, which else usually happens if a installer has no signature.

(what didn't means that it's something dangerous, just that it's unknown, usually you get asked if you trust the software)

Kaspersky does a good job, it recognizes infected files resp. instructions immediatly and asks you to delete the source of them.

but it's not 100% safe i would say, thus a wise rule is whenever such a download helper pops up, don't use it.

download only with the windows downloader or add-on for firefox i.e.

if that isn't possible, search for a different location of the same file you was looking for

if that didn't exists, leave it.

i was always able to remove whatever attacked me,

but it can easy cost you stressful night.

Personally i guess Trackers and Malware are included willingly, they get payed for it.

Trojans & Viruses is something different, it's not in the interest of the admin of such a site,

but since the offers arn't 100% legal sometimes

and they are registered in "cookamongo" which has no orderly laws

it's problematic to accuse them

that's the only weapon they have against it.

In other terms it's in the interest of large companies and copyright holders to implement Trojans & Viruses, no question about that for me.

that mustn't be the compny itself, they can hire a hacker over a straw man, likewise they hire bat squads if some businessman didn't follows to their commands,

oh no sorry they don't command they only "request", a gentleman never *commands.

mafiosi in a clean white shirt, with manicured fingers and a charming smile :) (:

GTA is Kindergarten compared to that.

then we have finally legal software which can be installed but you never wanted it, it's also annoying

and i'm disapointed that even "Chip" (a computer magazine here in switzerland) uses such downloadhelpers sometimes

and if you aren't cautious it will install some i don't know software, nothing mean, i.e. a demo version of program x

they warn you about that, in the way "when you istall make sure to uncheck xy", but i think it's stupid and i'm sure many less experienced will oversee this warning.

but it seems computermagazines need a new source of income, they didn't sell so well anymore as a decade ago.

i hope that has lifted the mist a little

and that i didn't mixed things to much up.

Besides, i'm not even a real swiss, i'm something which exists only in switzerland, as far as i know.

i'm a so called "secondo" a second generation foreigner, here you don't earn citizens rights with birth.

i had a US girlfriend she didn't believed such can be possible, she was still sceptical when i showed her my papers.

"i have two passports as well, three in fact" she said "i have a british a US and a swiss"

(goddamned half pakistani, half haiti-thaiti, which made with her big brown eyes and her braids all the boys go crazy, "black heidi" suits 100%)

i said "yeah you have the swiss passport because you was married with a swiss, i'm still german",

even worse my daughter is still german, third generation of foreigner even if she has never seen germany in her life.

However we "secondos" use to say we are the better swiss, we know better what is written in the constitution as many swiss.

We italian, spain, german, know exactly what we profit of it, if we compare it to our countries.

Sometimes, yes i don't know what i am exactly,

a bastard.

Foremost i feel i'm a earthling, a fur soled forest inhabitant, a waterhose.

*a gentleman maybe didn't commands

but the Knight does!

Feedom has the need to free,

free your mind and your ass will follow!

(wrote that and the funky beat is already hammering in my ears,

tell me is that a psychic disturbance or is it more a pleasure?)

buti will see, if i can't update my missing games for MAME

last time, it's already a long time ago, it has cost me weeks to clutter all together

something i found in japan

something in brasil

something in the states

something in "cookamongo"

sometimes to get a single game complete.

i'm not in a hurry with that, it's a lot of work.

further most still run, yes a few i recognized which i really miss

two classics

Battle Zone

Red Baron

both two classic Atari 3D vector games, many many others wouldn't play a role to me

"super mariko ban" do i need to play mah-jong with naked pixel-girls?

nah!

but i can still run them in a older release.

jesterday i saw i really shitty arcade game, i hope this clip didn't...

ah... it's on the edge, at least discusting

disclaimer,

i posted following advice only out of historical interest

in no way ilike to encourage someone to follow it

do it on your own risk

enter to YT

chiller arcade game

it's not the hardest i stumbled over

but it's already questionable

i was envolved in a debate about some japanese game

relatively harmless "Rape Lay", but well to me also questionable, but well if one needs this, what can you do?

one of the japanese comments

(i have no idea but something... i don't know a problem with their libido they have)

that this is "kindergarten"

it seems some (him as well) like all kinds of torture to children

he excusues it with "a man has to test his moral"

i said that's a lousy excuse

i don't have to "test" that

(better test yourself by swimming in a glacier lake at 0° celsius, that's a test)

God, really you have to fight that old evil dragon, put him in chains and don't let him run free.

It's inside of all of us men, we are all violent and rapists by nature,

but dammit put him in chains and don't feed him!

i said to him that it seems to me they lost something

ours and his ancestors knew this.

once they was famous for will and self control,

better find a way back to this.

but i know i'm only a barbarian

(no said my wife you are no berber, the berber is me)

ok then i'm a fur soled forest inhabitant

a wild half animal germanicus.

Better take care or Gernot takes his battle axe out of the sheath.

Also i snooped occasionally through deviantart

since i forgot my own registration name (what a rinse of memory)

i entered to the search field simply Gernot

oh, quite a lot of Gernots

some pictures even

erm, question anybody's got a idea?

Apart from that the name is from the "Niebelungen" (Siegfried and all that cramp)

Did they make a game about the "german warriors"?

ok the thematic is ideal for a game,

lots of warriors with mighty weapons,

a final battle of 10'000 in a hall (imagine this mess)

however i found that looks cool,

gernot the white king

gernot__the_white_king_by_nin_juethekiri

yeah, i told him already that i didn't like that halo.

Edited by Gernot

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way I think - is to download a small ROM set with Mame included - the latest laptops won't run the older Mames - so it depends on what hardware you are using...

It can be confusing when you download an extensive ROM archive. It is far easier these days to download a large ROM archive - whereas it was a definite pain to do - say 10 or so years ago.

Once you get one Mame / emulator running - it's usually easier to get the next one going.

Usually emulators are written so that anyone should be able to run it - instead of those who are familiar with the original hardware. Usually the docs should be able to explain how to get it up and running.

With Mame for example - you have to insert some coins before you can play... with others it is to know how the load program works for that emu/computer...

Harvey