IGNORED

Help me Please

Goirish3

I have not been very successful with emulators! I can run an nes and snes.. Beyond that no luck. I hope, with all your help to have a lot if emulators up and running!! Right now I am trying to play Street Rod which is an old computer game from early 90s and also Oregon trail. I downloaded Dosbox and what I thought were appropriate roms if the games.. No luck. I also tried Nostalgia for intellivision and Mame with very little luck. I'd appreciate any help... I was reading old threads and I saw that some people wet just sending zipped files if emulators and roms... Is love that too and prob even more!! But honestly any help I can get from the people who know best would be great. Thanks to everyone

"Roms" are cartridge dumps. The data is copied from the chip to a file you can play/edit/examine on a computer.

The first step is to know, or determine, exactly what "rom" you have and what system it is for.

Then you go find the appropriate emulator that can use that rom.

Then you gotta set up the emulator, tell it where (on your disk) to find the rom files

Dosbox doesn't use roms. Dosbox uses disk images. Disk images are regular floppy disks dumped, like cartridges, into a computer file.

Some emulators can use both types of files, ROMs and disk images.

It will help if you tell us exactly what error the emulator is spitting out. To say something doesn't work isn't enough information. It could be any number of reasons.

As the discussion progresses we will get a handle on your level of expertise and adjust our answers accordingly and arrive at a solution.

What PC are you using? What OS version? And what emulator and its version?

Edited by Keatah

There's a nice front end called DOS Box Turbo.

However, as mentioned, that's is a tough emulator to start out with. I'd recommend trying MAME32, Nesticle (NES), KEGA (Genesis), Stella (Atari 2600), or some other emulator first.

As for the emulator and ROMs question. The reason why you're not getting a zillion responses is that people could technically get smacked for sending ROMs and the emulators together. That's why you'll often find the emulator at one site and the ROMs at another. "Gotta' keep 'em separated" (for legal reasons). It's a bit of a grey area, so it takes a bit of puzzle solving and web searching to find what you're looking for. Rest assured, it IS out there.

Don't give up!

Hi there, still not satisfied?

PM me (hover over my name, a window opens with a button "PM this member"), but i already sendet you a PM (check your inbox) though you should have even my e-mail adress.

I will help you with a remote setup and some personal support, but we must stay in contact.

DOSbox is no problem, but i know some have problems that's why i would have a tutorial ready, but it's not cut yet.

We "dinosaurs" was used to work with DOS prompt, CLI and batch proggys, but the younger (some old as well, my schoolbuddy neither could setup DOSbox) generation has no idea about such,

they don't need to know this to run a game like we needed it.

We was also used to run berzerk when all was flushed because of a short power leakage, this is all chinese to them.

PLEASE CALL ME, MY OFFER IS MENT SERIOUS I LIKE TO HELP YOU

no matter if i'm a crazy dude and can't stand to long to a topic.

---

short example:

what do you think how many know this?

you have a DOS program but no idea what the commandline switches/parameters are.

usually you call the program and add a -? /? or -h /h or -help /help, one of them will work and the DOS proggy shows its help.

but do you also know how to print that out?

thats as easy if one knows it

proggy -help > help.txt

this outputs a text of the help in the program, which is far more comfortable to read as the help in the DOS prompt.

just as a example and i swear many don't know this simple command ">" called "redirect output".

We was used to, they aren't by far, we had to even when the interest was low for some, they don't need to care today about that.

---

have phun!

(and a big hug to all here in this forum, it's cool to be here, you are a relaxed community i like that and i missed that sometimes in SpaceSimCentral, we was once a relaxed bunch of space cracks,

joked a lot and had a lot of fun, but i don't know why it changed somewhat over the years, eh some, especially of our (pioneers) young dev team have simply no humor. you can't joke with them they take everything the wrong way.

Speaks like "i will fix me a pair of joysticks on my rollator just to play pioneer" are long past, but you know he is a grey and needs really a rollator. and everytime "lunatic" gernot returns to SSC then there is a big halo,

"oh long time not seen gernot, we missed you" formost i guess they miss my way to produce a chaos).