IGNORED

Undocumented Tempest 2000 PC DOS and Win95 Version Cheat Code :)

richnagel

Folks,

To save me some typing, the following are cut 'n' pastes of several messages that I posted on another message forum:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Does anyone have any idea as to what "streaky" does in the PC CD DOS version of Tempest 2000? I've NEVER found or read about ANY cheats whatsoever for the DOS version of T2K throughout all of these years, but was recently browsing the executable with my trusty hex-editor (as I've done numerous times over the past two decades).

In the executable is the text line "FLOSSIE WANTS TO CHEAT", and immediately following that, the following hex:

1F 14 13 12 1E 25 15

I just thought to myself, hmmm... That SURE looks like keyboard scan codes (and only JUST NOW thought that they looked like keyboard scan codes... RE: "as I've done numerous times over the past two decades" above - with age comes knowledge LOL!).

Hehe, and YES indeedy, they are KB scan codes, and they spell "streaky" LOL (see linked pics)! I fired up the game, and then during gameplay typed "streaky" in.

The web flashes colorfully (like when you obtain an extra life), and the female voice sound effect says "Yes!", but nothing appears to have changed (?). It MAY be just me, but gameplay seemed a bit easier after doing this, but I'm not sure (?). BTW, you can enter the "streaky" code several times, with the same results (the web flashes colorfully).

Anyhow, has ANYONE ever heard of this before (and have any idea as to what it does), or have I found a totally hidden easter egg/cheat in this game that NO ONE has ever came across since the game's release in 1995 LOL (wouldn't be the first time)?

Pic of DOS version TEMPEST.EXE in a hex-editor -> http://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=16691

Pic of Keyboard scan codes -> http://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=16692
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

OK, I JUST figured it out!

After starting a game, enter "streaky". THEN press F11 to enable the bonus level warp, or F12 to skip to the next level.

Hehe, the way I figured this out... F11 and F12 are cheats for the MACINTOSH version of the game (and are NOT normal keys for the PC DOS version of the game)! :)

or have I found a totally hidden easter egg/cheat in this game that NO ONE has ever came across since the game's release in 1995 LOL (wouldn't be the first time)?

Hehe, I'm thinking "YES" :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

P.S. I HAVE just now confirmed that the"streaky" cheat code ALSO works for the Interplay Windows 95 version of the game as well :)

Note that you will need to type in the cheat code fairly quickly in order for the game to recognize it.

As in the DOS version, the web flashes colorfully, and you'll hear the female voice sound effect "Yes!" if you have successfully entered the code (and the game recognizes it).

P.P.S. The keyboard scan codes for the "streaky" code were sitting all by their lonesome in the Windows version executable <GRIN> (see linked pic).

Pic of Windows version TEMPEST.EXE in a hex-editor -> http://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=16719
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ENJOY! :)

Edited by richnagel
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting! I'll definitely give this a try!

Next to the Jaguar original, the PC DOS version of Tempest 2000 is my favorite; I still play it (on a real DOS machine!) on occasion. Thanks to DOSBox, it's actually easier to enjoy the DOS version nowadays than the Win95 version, since (if I remember correctly) the Win95 version doesn't run under NT operating systems, which would include any modern version of Windows. It might also require a 256-color display mode.

• Like 1

You're quite welcome! :)

Glad to hear that you still have a running DOS machine :) I finally gave up my old DOS PC a few years back due to lack of space.

But, like you said, DOSBox has been a real lifesaver :)

As far as the Win95 port of T2K, I'm not sure about the newest incarnations of WinDoZe, but the game runs fairly stable on my Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit rigs. I have to set various compatibility settings, but otherwise it runs well.

That being said, I LOVE the DOS version over the Win95 aberration of the game :)

• 3 years later...

As far as the Win95 port of T2K, I'm not sure about the newest incarnations of WinDoZe, but the game runs fairly stable on my Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit rigs. I have to set various compatibility settings, but otherwise it runs well.

Hi,

Do you have the compatibility settings handy by any chance? I have been trying various on Win 10 64-bit, but always get the same error:

32 Bit True Colour Detected
This mode is not recommended
change resolution to continue

Hi,

Do you have the compatibility settings handy by any chance? I have been trying various on Win 10 64-bit, but always get the same error:

32 Bit True Colour Detected

This mode is not recommended

change resolution to continue

I'm not near the PC that I have it installed on right now, and unfortunately my memory is a bit hazy about the compatibility settings. If I remember correctly, I think that I had to check the box in Windows XP's compatibility settings for 256 color mode.

I'm not sure if you can do that in W10-64bit, or if your PC even supports that. But, if so, give that a try.