IGNORED

2600 light sixer not working

Nathan Strum

My original 2600 (a Sears light-sixer) hasn't worked for a couple of years.

What happens is - no matter what game I plug into it, when I turn it on, the onscreen static gets slightly quieter and a little darker. As if the 2600 is trying to generate some sort of picture, but can't. I've tested the RF cables and power supply with other 2600s, and they're fine, as are the cartridges I've tested. And the other consoles work fine on both TVs.

Any suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting would be much appreciated. I'm good with a soldering iron, so replacing components is no problem. I'm just not sure where to start with it.

I'm considering ordering a replacement motherboard from Best Electronics, but I'd really like to get my original one working again if possible. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. ;)

Thanks!

My 4-switch Atari was acting bad when I got it. Screen would get very staticy after a few minutes of gameplay. I replaced the power regulator and the green "chicklet" filter capacitor. The system worked like a charm afterwords, clean pristine RF picture. See my first thread on AtariAge.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199541-atari-2600-4-switcher-intermittant-fuzzy-reception/

Couldn't hurt much. The six switch models used a .2 micro Farad, while the four switch models used a .1

Edited by stardust4ever

• 3 weeks later...

All things mentioned so far are reasonable places to start. And of course, good practice says to check power supply voltages too. I'm not very good at troubleshooting via msg. board, but can kick anyone's ass hands on. Therefore I'll watch with interest.

I understand the nostalgia thing about the original mainboard. Keep it and repair it if at all possible. I have various vintage things and tronic stuff. And the stuff that needed "All New" innards has forever thereafter felt like a bastard child. Not quite right. But that feeling does go away somewhat after "build up of history" with the new swapped board, sometimes.

Small parts replacements (like 1% of the machine) here and there generally don't cause this phenomenon though. But it IS still possible. I would be upset if I had to replace any parts in my original Apple Disk II drives from 1979. I could maybe take exception to the pressure pad. It is a standard wear & tear service item and snaps into place. But I would need to save the old one and maybe tape it inside the drive housing. Then the new part wouldn't be too bad I guess.

Another example. I have a processor chip I have worked with nearly daily for the past 12+ years. I wud be quite upset if it up'n'up died. Which reminds me - better do my annual heatsink-grease inspection and replacement.