IGNORED

DAMN this would be a nice jag port ...

TXG/MNX

Just did look to this thread, very impressive

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233606-racer-2-for-falcon/

Looks very cool... runs on stock Falcon with 4MB

Would the jag be capable to do this quality game? The jag has 2MB but could load levels from CD

Yes, it would. Why don't you ask them for the code and port it.

• Like 1

The ST rar file weights 19,3 Mb: it is far too big for the few Mo of internal memory of the Jaguar.

Playing this on Jag would mean burning it on cart or CD (does the Skunk big enough for that?)

I agree it is cool to drive a recent GT on the old Jag but there are probably easier ST driving games to port than this one and Cyrano seems hate that we suggest him what game to port :)

• Like 2

O I didn't want to suggest him to port it. I didn't mean it that way.

I just wanted to know how a 68030 + DSP system like the Falcon would compare to 68K and GPU/DSP Jaguar would compare after seeing this game. The Falcon has a much more advanced processor and runs at higher speed, also the dsp runs at higher clock.

When seeing this game I wondered why we never seen such racer game of that quality for the Jaguar, so my first thought was its not capable of doing this.

• Like 1

O I didn't want to suggest him to port it. I didn't mean it that way.

I just wanted to know how a 68030 + DSP system like the Falcon would compare to 68K and GPU/DSP Jaguar would compare after seeing this game. The Falcon has a much more advanced processor and runs at higher speed, also the dsp runs at higher clock.

When seeing this game I wondered why we never seen such racer game of that quality for the Jaguar, so my first thought was its not capable of doing this.

The difference in processor would make for an interesting challenge. Sounds like you have two interesting challenges with this one:

1) Storage. Part of this would need to be on something other than ram. One idea I can think of is separate the game into parts. Play one part to completion, then load the next game and play that part. Yeh, I know, tedious, just brainstorming.

2) 68000 and Tom and Jerry vs. 68030 and DSP. Well, actually I thought the Jaguar had DSP? Anyway, have thought on this question before a bit. Maybe there would be functions similar between 68000 and 68030, but you would need to somehow emulate the rest of the 68030 that the 6800 doesn't.

So you got your work cut out for you. :D

Falcon has a real DSP vs the Jaguar's "DSP", but massively in its favour, the Jaguar has the Object Processor.

As mentioned, it also has Super Burn-Out. Therefore, question seems redundant.

Falcon cannot live with Jaguar for sprite-based games. No question. Never. Not ever. No. Way.

Unless you have a ct60.

• Like 3

Falcon has a real DSP vs the Jaguar's "DSP", but massively in its favour, the Jaguar has the Object Processor.

As mentioned, it also has Super Burn-Out. Therefore, question seems redundant.

Falcon cannot live with Jaguar for sprite-based games. No question. Never. Not ever. No. Way.

Unless you have a ct60.

The Falcon is a sweet machine, loved that machine when it was released.

Having done a bit of work on both machines i have to say SH3 is absolute right.

Looking at both machines there is a massive gap in 2d sprite rendering between these

machines, the falcon only has a 16 bit bus and the jaguar can use its 64 bit bus

the best way with its object processor.

For 3d games the difference may not be as huge but it is still there. The Jag

Blitter is not very good at using the 64 bit bus for texture mapping but it

is still much better than the Falcon/ST Blitter.

There is now way a stock Falcon can do a AvP or IS2 with the same resolution/

color depth, not even close.

For the Falcon/Jag DSP, most of the time there were "only" Mod Trackers / Audio

mixers running there, both had the same problem with getting data in and out.

• Like 3

The Falcon is a sweet machine, loved that machine when it was released.

Having done a bit of work on both machines i have to say SH3 is absolute right.

Looking at both machines there is a massive gap in 2d sprite rendering between these

machines, the falcon only has a 16 bit bus and the jaguar can use its 64 bit bus

the best way with its object processor.

For 3d games the difference may not be as huge but it is still there. The Jag

Blitter is not very good at using the 64 bit bus for texture mapping but it

is still much better than the Falcon/ST Blitter.

There is now way a stock Falcon can do a AvP or IS2 with the same resolution/

color depth, not even close.

For the Falcon/Jag DSP, most of the time there were "only" Mod Trackers / Audio

mixers running there, both had the same problem with getting data in and out.

If it can handle doom (

) AVP would be an easy job for the falcon...

No it wouldn't. Even being God-Tier it took DML a few years of work and optimization to do that and it's still not full screen.

It is not true. It can be be fullscreen, though it is not seen in the video.

Doom levels are way more complex than AVP. There are transparencies and look-througs, animated textures, curved walls and vertically multi-leveled maps. You can also look up and down.