IGNORED

Revisions of the same game on the same system

Zap!

I can think of two off the top of my head. Revenge of Shinobi had (I believe) four different versions on the Sega Genesis. The game had so many copyright infringements that I'm shocked it made it to the store shelves.

Another one was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, also for the Genesis. The original version has Thriller clips in it. For some reason it was taken out b(anyone know why?) in later copies.

So, any others?

Edited by Zap!

"Revenge of Shinobi had (I believe) four different versions on the Sega Genesis."

I have the version with Godzilla replaced with a skeletal dinosaur. I actually think that it looks pretty cool.

There's Punch-Out with Mike Tyson and the later revision with Mr. Dream.

2600 Atlantis and Atlantis "II" (the contest revision).

Intellivision Lock 'N Chase had a revision.

Jaguar Battlesphere/Battlesphere Gold.

Jaguar Hoverstrike CD vs. cart. Unlike Cybermorph/Battlemorph which is clearly a sequel, Hoverstrike on CD is more of a revision.

Jaguar Protector/Protector S.E. is a revision of sorts. Could probably count the latest "patch" which is Resurgence, as another revision.

Jaguar Cybermorph had a revision (1mb & 2mb carts).

Jaguar Elansar cart vs. CD - CD release fixes some NTSC display issues.

Some TI games on cartridge have had revisions. TI Invaders comes to mind... where they disabled the 3-digit code cheat at the title screen in later releases.

TI even made a revision to their home computer, which blocked certain third party games from running! :shame:

All of the red box late 80's Atari 2600 re-releases of Coleco, Parker Bros., etc. games (revision changes copyright data and packaging) - too far a stretch? haha

Intellivision Atarisoft to INTV Corp. copyright revisions on the title screen, boxes, etc.

• Like 1

There's Punch-Out with Mike Tyson and the later revision with Mr. Dream.

While that is a revision, it's not what I was talking about at all (I should have been more clear in the OP, sorry). I'm not talking about games with title changes or games where everyone who bought the game knows that it's different. I'm talking more hidden, subtle differences. Like the buyer not knowing it was any different. Revenge of Shinobi and Moonwalker didn't even change the box. There are no indications at all unless you play a few stages.

I take it hacks and pirated carts don't count? :-D

Nope. :)

Well your newer systems have many different versions of the same game. (With added dlc etc.)

Which is why I posted this in the "Classic Gaming" section. We're not counting DLC, because that would make this thread never-ending lol.

Golden Axe on the Genesis had two separate standalone releases: the original and a a classics release. I presume it wasn't just a packaging change because the classics release had completely different game genie codes.

Final Fantasy VII has at least two separate black label versions. In the earliest one, you cannot Quadra summon Knights of the Round. In the later one, you can.

Allegedly, the Greatest Hits version of Final Fantasy Anthology has a bugfixed version of FF5 which resolves the save game glitch. This makes it more than just a packaging variant.

Golden Axe on the Genesis had two separate standalone releases: the original and a a classics release. I presume it wasn't just a packaging change because the classics release had completely different game genie codes.

Many early Genesis games (published by Sega themselves) have alternate revisions that require different Game Genie codes, and aside from that are, apparently, otherwise identical.

It's possible they were trying to crack down on the use of Game Genies, but that would be strange considering Sega endorsed the Game Genie.

On topic, Sonic The Hedgehog was revised for it's Japanese release, parallax scrolling clouds and a few other minor graphical updates were made to it.

And Sonic The Hedgehog CD had it's original Japanese soundtrack revised for the US release, leading to quite a few debates as to which is superior; The Japanese version seems to get the most praise though.

Edited by Torr

The Classics version of Golden Axe changed some of the text around I think (cleaning up some Engrish). That would explain why the codes changed (data got moved around).

I've never heard if FF V being fixed. Of course I've never seen the Greatest Hits version if the anthology before. Interesting.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was originally released with code for a hidden, half-finished mini-game, which the infamous "Hot Coffee" mod revealed. The code was removed from later editions of the game, including the "Greatest Hits" disc.

Speaking of "Greatest Hits" discs, I know you don't want to count DLC and the like, but I think it's worth pointing out that in these transitional days of games made available both online and on disc, many modern games have seen multiple versions made available on disc. The later versions often bundle software updates that owners of the earlier discs had to download. One good example is Rock Band 3. A few years after its release by MTV Games and Electronic Arts, developer Harmonix inked a new publishing deal with Mad Catz, who then released a new disc for the XBox 360. This new disc includes updates that, among other things, make it harder to hack custom songs into the game. Consequently, the earlier EA discs are especially valuable to die-hard Rock Band fans.

Another Sonic point: Early Sonic the Hedgehog cartridges for the Sega Genesis have a debug mode, where you can add extra bits to the screen as you play the game. This mode isn't available in later cartridges.

Another Sonic point: Early Sonic the Hedgehog cartridges for the Sega Genesis have a debug mode, where you can add extra bits to the screen as you play the game. This mode isn't available in later cartridges.

I didn't know about that, I'll have to test mine when I get a chance.

I just remembered, Final Fantasy III (FF6) on the SNES had an updated version that fixed the "Relm glitch". In early run cartridges, if you made Relm use Sketch on particularly large sized enemies, sometimes a glitch will occur that scrambles the characters onscreen into random NPC sprites. If you save the game after that, unpredictable results will occur. I did it by accident as a kid and ended up with thousands of Illumina and Atma Weapon swords! Poor Kefka got carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey. ;)

But I heard it also can corrupt the save file, so beware?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to this, there were two different versions of Super Mario Bros. 3:

7. There are two versions of the game with differently named worlds. Depending on when you bought Super Mario Bros. 3, you got one of two different versions of the game. The second version of the game fixed some bugs and changed a lot of the text. Oddly, it also changed the names of the game’s eight worlds. In the original American version, the eight worlds were Grass Land, Desert Hill, Ocean Side, Big Island, The Sky, Iced Land, Pipe Maze and Castle of Koopa, whereas in the second version, the worlds went by the more generic names Grass Land, Desert Land, Water Land, Giant Land, Sky Land, Ice Land, Pipe Land and Dark Land.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/03/mario-almost-had-a-centaur-suit-13-things-you-might-not-know-about-super-mario-bros-3/

Many early Genesis games (published by Sega themselves) have alternate revisions that require different Game Genie codes, and aside from that are, apparently, otherwise identical.

It's possible they were trying to crack down on the use of Game Genies, but that would be strange considering Sega endorsed the Game Genie.

On topic, Sonic The Hedgehog was revised for it's Japanese release, parallax scrolling clouds and a few other minor graphical updates were made to it.

And Sonic The Hedgehog CD had it's original Japanese soundtrack revised for the US release, leading to quite a few debates as to which is superior; The Japanese version seems to get the most praise though.

more likely they were trying make more money selling new tips and hints books with the revised game genie codes.