IGNORED

St's Gauntlet

Not supporting the second button and not checking for additional disk drives. Those two are my main pet peeves. Even some of the bigger studios managed to fail miserably at doing those two simple things.

Kind of like unskippable content in modern games...

Not supporting a second fire button on the ST, the Amiga, or both? :)

Initially the Amiga came to mind.

However, I don't see any reason why more developers couldn't have included support for the enhanced joystick ports on the Atari STe.

Ain't that the truth! Has anyone toyed with the idea of making an Enhanced Joystick Port adapter for the Amiga? Wait…never mind…the Jaguar JoyPads are already in short-supply amongst STE/Falcon/Jaguar owners. :)

Edited by Lynxpro

• 7 months later...

Did CyranoJ patch the ST Gauntlet II & III to support the Enhanced Joystick Ports plus a second fire button on them? Obviously, his port to the Jaguar supports EJP/JagPads and the Team Tap.

And WTF is Gauntlet III? Some licensed "official" sequel that U.S. Gold pulled out of their posteriors? Between that and Atari Corp renaming Epyx's Time Quests & Treasure Chests to Gauntlet the Third Encounter on the Lynx, I can see why Atari Games/Tengen renamed Gauntlet as Gauntlet IV on the Genesis.

I still get heat in the Jaguar thread over this, but I won't change my mind that Atari Corp made a mistake in not porting the Genesis version of Gauntlet IV over to the Jaguar and including it as the console's pack-in game. That would've been far better than Cybermorph.

• Like 1

Here's something that baffles me about the ST port of the first Gauntlet to this day: I've noticed that even though you use the main joystick ports for two players, there was another option of "MIDI JOY 0" and "MIDI JOY 1" for two more players. Has anyone figured out what it's about? I know the first Gauntlet doesn't use the parallel port adapter like the second did. Here's a screenshot of what I'm rambling on about.

Gauntlet_00006.bmp

Here's something that baffles me about the ST port of the first Gauntlet to this day: I've noticed that even though you use the main joystick ports for two players, there was another option of "MIDI JOY 0" and "MIDI JOY 1" for two more players. Has anyone figured out what it's about? I know the first Gauntlet doesn't use the parallel port adapter like the second did. Here's a screenshot of what I'm rambling on about.

I think I've seen that before back in the day. Suppose they rigged up joystick cables that connected via the MIDI ports?

I guess that there was special joystick adapter for MIDI ports available. But that was surely more expensive than later parallel port adapter.

I guess that there was special joystick adapter for MIDI ports available. But that was surely more expensive than later parallel port adapter.

I tried searching for something on Google last night and failed miserably. I'm thinking they did it in-house and didn't release anything commercially.

I wonder if maybe at least the person who made the conversion is out there? Possibly provide info, and maybe how to make it work. Hoping it's not a MIDI Maze setup, where two systems have to be networked via midi.

Hey, that might've been cool. But it probably would've predated MIDI Maze and that was heralded as being quite the original idea to use the MIDI ports for networked gaming then. I guess it's possible either way. But it kinda reminds me of when I asked Joe Decuir if he had ever considered replacing the DB9s with SIO ports for the controllers during the design of the PCS [400/800]. He didn't seem to think that would've been a good idea then and that just wasn't all due to cost considerations either.

So…who has 2 STs with MIDI cables and 2 copies of Gauntlet to test the networking theory out?

Edited by Lynxpro

This isn't the first time the question has been raised here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/204434-strange-curiosity-found-with-gauntlet-regarding-4-players/

Now over at Atari Forum, The Klaz mentions that he didn't find any 4-player code in Gauntlet when he was patching it [as has been said in here]. But then a user named Sarnau claims he made a hack of it back in the day that added 4-player support [he doesn't say how], fixed some rendering issues, added Blitter support for better scrolling, and a full level editor. There weren't any sarcasm emojis added to that post.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22190

It's been said that a MIDI-to-DB9 joystick adapter would have to have logic added to it to make it work. I would think it's more probable that MIDI Joy 0 and MIDI Joy 1 would refer to 1 and 2 players connected via the DB9 ports on another ST which is then connected to the main ST via the MIDI ports.

Dumb question, but wouldn't the MIDI ports be used for networking ST computers for multiplayer games like Midi Maze and Substation? MIDI uses a serial protocal while DB-9 joysticks use digital signals, which makes more since to use the printer port.

Dumb question, but wouldn't the MIDI ports be used for networking ST computers for multiplayer games like Midi Maze and Substation? MIDI uses a serial protocal while DB-9 joysticks use digital signals, which makes more since to use the printer port.

It's not trivial (easier nowadays than BITD) but it would be possible to build a box that connected to a DB-9 joystick(s) and outputted midi messages in response to joystick input. Networking another ST does make more sense though, hopefully someone will fire up Steam SSE Boiler and see what's going on with the MIDI ports while Gauntlet is running.

• Like 1

Do you have disk images of that version of Gauntlet that you could share? I've downloaded a few from the web and they all just show Joysticks 0 and 1.

I just downloaded the PASTi version from AtariMania, and it does NOT have that feature in it.

Yeah I tried about 6 versions from different sites, including cracks by both Klapauzius and Automation; no "MIDI JOY" option in any of them. I wonder where that version you have came from- hope you kept it.

Thanks for sending the mystery disk, it looks like it might be the cracked and modified version by sarnau that he described here. I've uploaded the disk image to that thread as Atariage wouldn't let me attach it.

It's on a single disk, with individual files for sprites and level data, a medium rez level editor (that modifies a regular Gauntlet 'Disk 2' not the files on this mystery disk), and most interestingly of all MIDI.PRG which runs but doesn't seem to do anything- perhaps it is translating joystick input into MIDI messages though!?

post-39360-0-74653900-1454352835_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-24478800-1454352835_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-72166100-1454352836_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-31375000-1454352838_thumb.png

The version of Gauntlet appears to be subtly different, at least the palette has been tweaked and the info text moved around a bit, here are some comparisons with 'normal' versions Gauntlet on the left and the 'mystery' disk on the right:

post-39360-0-39470000-1454352840_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-82347600-1454352838_thumb.png

post-39360-0-28094500-1454352839_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-23470500-1454352836_thumb.png

post-39360-0-86252600-1454352839_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-31421800-1454352837_thumb.png

Hopefully someone can try it on two midi-connected STs and see if the MIDI code works, it's probably been a while since anyone has seen 4-player Gauntlet. Would be nice to compare the scrolling too to see if it has the blitter code described by sarnau.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1