IGNORED

7800 & 2600 Jr. ad in Sears 1988 Catalog

Stevaside

You made me feel old with that page. It was one of the better moments for me that year.

Back in 1988, My younger brother and I used the 1988 JC Penny and Sears Christmas Catalogs to create a Christmas list that year. In 1988, I didn't look at the Atari 7800 section of the Sears Catalog closely My Younger Brother and I had an Atari 2600 jr at the time. I remembered getting Midnight Magic for Christmas out of the Atari 2600 games listed on that wishbook page that year.

Edited by 8th lutz

• 4 weeks later...

To put things in perspective for the current generation of gamers, the ColecoVision is listed as $199.99 in 1982.

Triple it to update it to modern dollars and you have $600.00 for a launch release CV console.

I distinctly recall it being friggin' expensive when it launched, and now I have proof.

To put things in perspective for the current generation of gamers, the ColecoVision is listed as $199.99 in 1982.

Triple it to update it to modern dollars and you have $600.00 for a launch release CV console.

I distinctly recall it being friggin' expensive when it launched, and now I have proof.

post-18-0-56882600-1424464243_thumb.png

:)

The 1988 priced Atari 7800 @$89.99 from the catalog:

post-18-0-02328000-1424464545_thumb.png

The Atari 2600 @$49.99 in 1988:

post-18-0-38866200-1424464624_thumb.png

The winner though is the original Atari 2600. Released in Fall/Autumn of '77, it retailed for $199.99:

post-18-0-16701300-1424467522_thumb.png

That five years factor (and thank you recession), from an '82 $199.99 compared to '77 $199.99 equates to a ~$300 difference :-o

FYI B&W TV were still available through 90's. Usually it's just those $20 portable 4" TV. My grandmother still used black and white TV through mid 80's and early 90's

Taken from the '83 Sears catalog, just noticed the screenshot of what is supposed to be 2600 Burgertime… :rolling:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-21 at 4.20.56 PM.png

I remember seeing a store demo of Burger Time (back when Sears had a hands on console and a few game carts left in the open, chained like bank pens, so people could play) and I remember how awful it looked.

Is it too late to sue for false advertising? Picture shows very nice arcade like game for 2600 but actual looks like seizure inducing mess.

Sure someone has uploaded this & alot of you have already seen it, but figured I'd share it anyways for those who haven't. It's from the wishbookweb.com site I recently discovered that is an absolute GOLD MINE for nostalgia! Full Sears Wishbook catalog scans from every decade

& On a side note..what's up with that TAC-2 7800 joystick?? Don't believe I've ever heard of that....

"Let yourself go with the PREMIUM GRAPHICS of the Atari 7800! " ...and "the HIGH-RESOLUTION SUPER SERIES CARTRIDGES!" :grin: Love it!

I spent the weekend going through the catalogs in the site you mentioned. Thanks again.

If anyone sees any more sites with catalog scans, please let the AtariAge community (and me) know.

• Like 1

I spent the weekend going through the catalogs in the site you mentioned. Thanks again.

If anyone sees any more sites with catalog scans, please let the AtariAge community (and me) know.

Sure, man & glad to have been able to put some people on to it. I was so stoked upon discovering...awesome to take a trip back in time like that..The 7800 was the 1st thing i went for, but man was it a trip to see some of the toys I had & wanted ...so much I forgot about...& the electronics....the clothes....80s Fashion RULES!! :-D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 1