IGNORED

Mappy TIA sound 2600 music demo

iesposta

If you like 2600 demos and don't visit the batari Basic programming section, you may have missed this.

I decided to see how the TIA would fare for the arcade game Mappy's ragtime music, expecting it to be missing important notes and range.

I was surprised at how well it turned out!

Let me know what you think.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233403-mappy-tia-music-demo-enjoy/?p=3150703

This is the Atari TIA built-in sound, no DPC+ tricks, however this is a DPC+ bank switching rom.

It could be a 2K or 4K rom, minus the detailed Meowky, but my environment was set to build DPC+ and I wanted to attach the sound to some kind of video display and I already had this 30 frame flicker for 5 colors made in DPC+.

Newer Stella and Harmony Cart.

gallery_29575_733_18839.jpg

• Like 6

That sounds most excellent!

Not keen on the flickerific MAPPY though, it looks odd that everything except the first P flickers. It should be possible to do the MAPPY title without flicker. Draw the M, first P and Y with the playfield, changing color as the scanline is drawn, and draw the A and second P with the players set to 8x 4x.

Edited by SpiceWare

That sounds most excellent!

Not keen on the flickerific MAPPY though, it looks odd that everything except the first P flickers. It should be possible to do the MAPPY title without flicker. Draw the M, first P and Y with the playfield, changing color as the scanline is drawn, and draw the A and second P with the players set to 8x.

Thanks. That means a lot to me coming from SpiceWare!

I've thought of many ways to do a proper title, but I used what I know in batari Basic.

Originally I flickered three playfields, then made the Center yellow with P0 P1 M0 & M1 and just flickered 2 playfields, red and blue.

.asm color changing timed with the display I'd probably use players medium spaced. Would there be enough time to do the color change and the graphics change at medium distance?