IGNORED

Did Breakout support joystick AND paddles?

neglectoru

My memories of the Atari 2600 from my childhood are sadly fuzzy and depressingly long ago. Help is greatly appreciated. :)

In recent DTV offerings (Flashback?), I played versions of Breakout and Super Breakout that control with a joystick. This surprised me, as I could swear that (at least) breakout required paddles.

Did Breakout support both joystick and paddles, and I never knew? If I'm remembering correctly (paddle only), do the modern systems do ROM modification to patch in joystick support, or some hardware emulation of the paddle interface in the modern joysticks?

Breakout was strictly a paddle game. Flashback uses a strictly-joystick system, probably to save on costs. I am not sure if the ROM's are modded or if the controllers somehow map paddle moves to the joystick. Their joysticks feel a little funny too, I've never quite figured out what's on the inside. Perhaps they are specially designed to have some "floating" qualities, so that they are somewhat more compatible with paddle games like Breakout.

I do know that Circus Atari had some sort of bootleg version by Zellers that used joysticks.

I had one of those 10-in-1 Jakks Pacific 2600 joystick looking plug-n-play units. That's possibly where you saw Breakout with a joystick.

http://www.amazon.com/Jakks-Atari-Classics-10-Games/dp/B0000645DD

It had Breakout, Circus and something else that was designed to be a paddle game.

I never was a big fan of Breakout but I can tell you that playing Circus with a joystick just plain sucked. I got rid of the 10-in-1.

For plug-n-play paddle games, this other Jakks unit is excellent: http://www.powerpakblog.com/console/2012/3/26/atari-plug-n-play-paddle-controller.html

It has Super Breakout + 10 other 2600 games + arcade Pong + arcade Warlords.

I believe it's a Nintendo-on-a-chip device, but the ports of the games are pretty good. Circus plays very much like the original. The only significant thing I noticed was that some of the sounds are entirely different.

I had to try the carts just to rule out the possibility ...

tried both Breakout & Super Breakout with a joystick in a 7800 system & didn't work .... paddles worked as they were supposed to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_(Jakks_Pacific)

the 10-in1 joystick had Super Breakout & Circus & Pong all originally designed for paddles & play MUCH better with paddles IMO

I still need the Jakks Pacific paddle for my collection as it looks like a lot of fun

the flashback units, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Flashback

have paddle designed games using a joystick but also have a couple hidden paddle games requiring a separate set of paddles

My memories of the Atari 2600 from my childhood are sadly fuzzy and depressingly long ago. Help is greatly appreciated. :)

In recent DTV offerings (Flashback?), I played versions of Breakout and Super Breakout that control with a joystick. This surprised me, as I could swear that (at least) breakout required paddles.

Did Breakout support both joystick and paddles, and I never knew? If I'm remembering correctly (paddle only), do the modern systems do ROM modification to patch in joystick support, or some hardware emulation of the paddle interface in the modern joysticks?

The Flashbacks use the original ROMs running off of emulation. The emulation layer allows for joystick or paddles, i.e., the game itself is not modified.

• 6 years later...