IGNORED

The Gizzle Wap and The Strange Red Tree (Final Version)

Mountain King

Hey Zackattack,

I just fixed that bug. Bonehead coding on my part. I'll post the next revision soon. Maybe tonight. Great score! I just got my high score with out cheating and changing the variable. I finally made it to the 7th Invica Minor. I usually can't make it past the fifth.

post-17-0-67885100-1431486317_thumb.png

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 1

If I had the source code I could double my score too :P

The difficulty definitely ramps up as you progress, but in a good way that makes you keep playing. I finally got good at killing the wasps and then they started flying faster.

Looks like you still had a fruit left when the 7th Invica got you. That must have been frustrating!

Yeah, I didn't press down fast enough. They start hitting really hard at that level. Anyway, here's the next update.

Update 61

1. Fixed the score so it will stay green if you collect more than the required amount of fruit. It will return to yellow if you eat enough fruit to drop you below the quota.

2. There are 8 levels now. 7 Invicta Minors and 1 Invicta Prime.

3. Decreased the difficulty of the 6th and 7th Invicta. It was nearly impossible to beat them.

4. 3rd and 4th Invicta now have help in their fight.

5. Invicta Minors now come in different colors.

1st and 2nd Green

3rd and 4th Gold

5th and 6th Red

7th Gray

GIZZLEWAPdpc61.bas.bin

• Like 2

If you eat a cloud fruit on a cleared screen your health does not restore right away. You have to go to another screen and collect a new fruit before the health meter goes back to full. Is that what is supposed to happen?

It would be nice if you can't accidentally eat a fruit when you already have full health.

What's a good strategy for the Invictas? Those guys are also laying the smack down on me.

If you eat a cloud fruit on a cleared screen your health does not restore right away. You have to go to another screen and collect a new fruit before the health meter goes back to full. Is that what is supposed to happen?

It would be nice if you can't accidentally eat a fruit when you already have full health.

What's a good strategy for the Invictas? Those guys are also laying the smack down on me.

Not healing right away is a remnant of only being able to eat during a fight. I'll try to fix that tonight.

You actually can't eat if you're fully healed. You were probably damaged so slightly that it didn't show on the health bar. It's possible to eat all your fruit at once if you eat while you are being hit. "Riding the Ant" or being carried by the crab are bad times to have a meal.

The Invicta Minors are so aggressive they don't give you a lot of time set yourself up for an attack. You might have to hunker down and let them come to you. Also try to touch a Humming Duck before taking on the Invicta. The added speed helps a lot. With the additional speed you can do a flying Jump Drop that can be an effective strategy, but you can expect to take damage.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mountain King

Update 62, this ones for you Zackattack

1. Really fixed the green score this time, it turns green when it is supposed to.

2. Fixed the eating bug. Now your health goes up when you eat the fruit. No delay no matter when you have your meal.

3. You no longer can eat a fruit unless you show visible damage about 32 points

4. Your health bar and fruit count flash red when you take damage.

5. When the left difficulty is set to "B" you can carry 4 cloud fruit. When it is set to "A" you can only carry 3.

6. When the right difficulty is set to "B" the tree's poison does not affect you. When it is set to "A" you will take damage slowly over time.

7. The Gizzle Wap's bouncing sound is timed better to how he moves. The tap sound is on the down animation.

8. Added an opening animation after the titlescreen and the music plays.

9. The Coud Fruit Float a little higher.

10. If you are a good shot you can hit the cloud fruit with the Zazzle Fly.

I think I'm at the home stretch on this game.

GIZZLEWAPdpc62.bas.bin

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 2

Update 63

1. Fixed a bug where the life bar would appear in the opening animation.

2. Changed the sound when the Ant,crab or wasp dies from a "beep" to a "splat"

3. Added a death animation to the ant,crab and wasp. They will "splat" and may fall to the ground and make a puddle of blood.

(note: it's not recommended to touch Myrmica remains in any form. They are known to be toxic.)

4. Changed the Invicta Minor AI slightly. They teleport away when hit.

The blood might have made this game controversial in 1985. Not so know.

post-17-0-45293500-1431829588_thumb.png

post-17-0-30014900-1431830079_thumb.jpg

GIZZLEWAPdpc63.bas.bin

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 3

Update 64 Beta-The game is finished barring any major bugs that might pop up.

1. Refixed the eating bug while in the Zazzle Clearing, apparently I broke it again.

2. Fixed the bug where occasionally you would remained trapped on the board after clearing all the enemies.

3. Fixed the bug where the red tree would not appear right away.

4. The tree acts more erratic now.

5. The blood splat is timed better so it will not stop in mid air.

6. Myrmica remains will splat on the playfield as well as the ground.

7. Fixed a bug where Mymica remains did not hurt you. Now they do. Avoid touching them.

8. Revamped the scoring.

Pick up a cloud fruit 10 points

Shoot a cloud fruit with the Zazzle Fly 30 points

Find a lair trigger 50 points

Enter a lair 50 points

Ant, Wasp or Crab 100 points

Invicta Minors 1000 points

Invicta Prime 5000 points

9. Added Sound to the Wasp and Crab. Also added sound when you pick up a cloud fruit.

10. Changed the Ending Animation slightly

11. Opening Animation Changes if you beat the game.

This is pretty much it. Can anyone test it out on a real Atari? My Harmony cart died just as I was going to test this version.

GIZZLEWAPdpc64beta.bas.bin

Edited by Mountain King
  • Like 3

My Harmony has, from time to time, stopped working.

I just had to connect it with a USB cable and re-flash the BIOS.

Still using my original SD card since I bought the Harmony.

I hope your Harmony problem isn't more serious!

Sorry I didn't have much time to help more, but I hope my tips helped a little.

Absolutely. I was scrounging for bytes at the end. I was down to single digit bytes in the two main banks. Your tips helped immensely.

are they known for doing this? I'm thinking about getting one but not if they are crashing..............

I upgraded the bios and still no luck. I think my encore is to blame though. I tried older versions and also "the deep" and all of them just hang on the loading animation. Titan Axe Beta played fine though. So I guess DPC+ just doesn't work on my setup. Sorry I won't be able to help you test the beta on real hardware.

It starts okay on my Harmony Encore (SD card) and Harmony (micro SD card).

On the 7800 S-Video to LCD, there is too much screen jitter.

Same with Heavy 6er on CRT, lots of background bounce, especially at the bottom and when hits occur, the whole screen jiggles.

(For a long time I had used it as an effect in DKA 2600, but the "Kong bounce the girders into Level 1" got cut out.)

I could go through your code again and look for places to optimize?

I don't think you want it that bouncy.

It doesn't bounce at all in Stella emulation.

Okay, I got my harmony cart working again. Thanks iesoposta for the tip, and thanks for testing the game.

I did go through and try to optimize it and reduced some of the jitter. I'm still getting some especially with the river on the bridge scene. I think it has to do with the backround.

Try this next revision if you don't mind. I'll send you the source code so you can take a look at it.

GIZZLEWAPdpc65beta.bas.bin

The toxic blood is a nice touch.

You may want to reduce the max height that the cloud fruit can be placed by a couple pixels. Every once in a while it's a bit too high to reach unless you jump at the exact moment it's at the lowest point in the animation.

I was in shield mode when the wasp flew over and stung me. That caused the moth to be released and it happen to hit and kill the wasp. Wish I was recording for that one. Did you know the wasps are suicidal? lol

• Like 1

The toxic blood is a nice touch.

You may want to reduce the max height that the cloud fruit can be placed by a couple pixels. Every once in a while it's a bit too high to reach unless you jump at the exact moment it's at the lowest point in the animation.

I was in shield mode when the wasp flew over and stung me. That caused the moth to be released and it happen to hit and kill the wasp. Wish I was recording for that one. Did you know the wasps are suicidal? lol

I shoot the cloud fruit that's too high. Is that wrong or bad?
  • Like 2