IGNORED

Atari achievements and trophies

NuY

So I was watching this video and I got to thinking two things:

• Would it be possible to retrofit an achievement engine to an A8 emulator;
  • What achievements could we all think of to fit around classic A8 games?

So for the first point, my immediate thought was that an optional achievement "overlay" if you will, could run on top of Altirra, watching RAM for certain in-game occurrences based on what was happening. An example would be watching the screen display for certain text displayed on certain conditions, such as Great American Road Race if you get stopped by the cops, or Pole Position qualifying in first place.

But more fun than that, what would we name these achievements, from a comedy perspective like in the vid above?

See if you can come up with fiveish for your favourite games! I'm no stand up comic, but here are my efforts:

1. Great American Road Race: Long long way to go - Run out of gas just after passing a pump
  2. Pole Position: Road to nowhere - Fail to qualify so that you carry on driving after passing the finish line
  3. Dropzone: Refugees schmefugees - Kill all the scientists in a level
  4. Blue Max: Bugging out - Bomb your own hangar
  5. Henry's House: My name isn't Willy - Get squashed by a boot on the first level

I'm sure you guys can come up with better ones!

I'm sure that Avery -won't- be taking up this bit of work, but all the same, in the spirit of this ....

How about if those certain conditions are detected and then the binaries are patched dynamically?

So if you end up qualifying in first in Pole Position, an animation of a bikini lady sprawled across your car could be shown?

Then the binary goes back its old state.

M.U.L.E. three mules escaped in consecutive rounds, failing to sell massive Crystite stores at great prices just before pirates arrive

Seven Cities of Gold: discovering the very last undiscovered place on the map without saving before falling asleep

Shamus: running into a lone shot after killing all baddies

Spelunker: running out of Oxygen in sight of a refill station while deterring ghost

Choplifter: discovering that game loses further appeal after finishing a game with all hostages rescued

Fort Apocalypse: finding out that game ends rather abruptly

I wonder if the achievement-itis of today's games has something to do with games being too easy with lots of re-tries, etc. In days of old it used to be achievement enough to make just another level or another xx thousand score or find out if there's an ending at all..... It still sounds strange to me when reviewers say that a game "lasts xx hours (only)".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that Avery -won't- be taking up this bit of work, but all the same, in the spirit of this ....

How about if those certain conditions are detected and then the binaries are patched dynamically?

So if you end up qualifying in first in Pole Position, an animation of a bikini lady sprawled across your car could be shown?

Then the binary goes back its old state.

Maybe we could get the lovely Out Run lady for a day to oblige :D

Pac-man: i aint scared - chomp a ghost right when it stops flashing

Donkey Kong: You know what burns my ass? - die by missed fireball jumps without scoring any points

M.U.L.E. three mules escaped in consecutive rounds, failing to sell massive Crystite stores at great prices just before pirates arrive

Seven Cities of Gold: discovering the very last undiscovered place on the map without saving before falling asleep

Shamus: running into a lone shot after killing all baddies

Spelunker: running out of Oxygen in sight of a refill station while deterring ghost

Choplifter: discovering that game loses further appeal after finishing a game with all hostages rescued

Fort Apocalypse: finding out that game ends rather abruptly

I wonder if the achievement-itis of today's games has something to do with games being too easy with lots of re-tries, etc. In days of old it used to be achievement enough to make just another level or another xx thousand score or find out if there's an ending at all..... It still sounds strange to me when reviewers say that a game "lasts xx hours (only)".

Not bad, but what would you call the achievements?