IGNORED

SHARKNADO (Atari 2600) Put On Hold/Cancelled

neotokeo2001

post-3832-0-70551300-1421721287_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to let everyone know that SHARKNADO for the Atari 2600 has been put on indefinite hold and probably cancelled. Last Friday I received what was basically a cease and desist for using the SHARKNADO name and images. I have sent a message to The Asylum and the VP, Intellectual Property
NBCUniversal Media, to see if anything can be done to allow the release of SHARKNADO on the Atari 2600.

Fingers crossed that something can be worked out so that the game can be released to the Atari 2600 community. I am a big fan of The Asylum for their work on Sharknado and Z-Nation and hope that someone over there can see this game for what it is, a fan made tribute to the insanity that is Sharknado and not a commercial product. These games are produced as close to cost as possible and I usually lose money on there release. The Atari 2600 is an obsolete gaming system that was initially released in 1977 and has been kept alive by people for the love of the system and it's games, not for the profit of a business opportunity.

I don't really expect to get a reply from NBCUniversal or The Asylum regarding this release so the game may be re-branded and resurrected later this year in a new form if that is the case. I am sorry to everyone that was looking forward to this game.

This opens the door for my next release, HUNGER SHARK. Yes, another shark game.

On land during the day, we humans rule. Or at least we are considered top predators, and with our feet on the ground, we are in our element. In the sea, without a boat, forget about it. We are too slow, too encumbered with gear, and often too stupid to be much more then prey. What's to worry about down there? Plenty!

To be eaten - think about it for more then a moment and you're likely to push the thought from your rational mind and back into the depths of your subconsciousness.

The Great White Shark is one of a handful of animals alive today that can actually eat one of us alive - and sometimes does.

post-3832-0-26930300-1421720307_thumb.jpg

Normal Version

post-3832-0-07581400-1421720308_thumb.jpg

Gory Version

post-3832-0-96909300-1421720314_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-59868400-1421720315_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-24150300-1421720316_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-92298300-1421720316_thumb.jpg

Eat people to avoid starvation, but watch out for that pesky Coast Guard!

Controls and gameplay:

In Hunger Shark you play as a shark with an insatiable appetite.- To move Hunger Shark, point the joystick in the direction you want him to move.

- To eat people, Hunger Shark must sufficiently overlap them. Doing so gains you points, and replenishes a bit of your Hunger Bar.

- If your Hunger Bar drains completely, you will die of starvation.

- After some time, when the water becomes blood red, the Coast Guard will send a patrol ship and shoot at you.

- Touching a squid collects it for later use. Using a squid, by pressing fire, will replenish your health completely, but will spray ink, thus turning Hunger Shark and the water black for a time. You can carry up to three squids at a time, but touching them will always yield 1000 bonus points.

- Treasure is known to pop at the sea floor from time to time. It may not be nutritious, but it does yield 1000 bonus points.

- Mines will periodically spawn near the bottom of the screen, so be on your guard!

- The game increases in difficulty slightly with each level.

Edited by neotokeo2001

What a stupid and unnecessary waste of time, train wreck of a "release" this has turned into.

Lots of my questions have gone unanswered. Why? Why was this release handled the way it was? Ahhh… forget it. Don't expect those questions to be answered. And at this point - don't really care. Another botched production.

Nothing to see here!

• Like 1

What a stupid and unnecessary waste of time, train wreck of a "release" this has turned into.

Lots of my questions have gone unanswered. Why? Why was this release handled the way it was? Ahhh… forget it. Don't expect those questions to be answered. And at this point - don't really care. Another botched production.

Nothing to see here!

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I seen this coming a few months ago

----

Posted Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:31 PM

Isn't the Sharknado name trademarked? Does the OP have to worry about copyright issues?

Believe it or not. This is the first time in 10 years that I have had a problem with a game. I guess it was too mainstream or current.

I guess I have no sense of humor because I don't get it. If you don't have any real questions or concerns please go troll another topic.

Troll? I was in for the Deluxe Edition.

kay - guess I need to spell it out:

1. you stroked us all pre-selling a bB game that was supposedly finished - but wanting to generate more excitement (which was nice), you added all the cool movie extras - including a reproduction Tara Reid autograph and all the other fun things (contest included), that included user submitted photo's, etc.

2. When did your "talks" begin with the studio, et al?

3. Why were said "talks" initiated *after* the promise and production of this project?

4. You were behind several other movie related projects in the past, which seemed to go just "fine", what made this project different?

5. This is a small community and a relatively small project.

***At this point, would be even more hilarious to release what you've got and call it 'Shatnado' - an AA exclusive, incorporating Brian O and Benny's artistic talent. :lol:

• Like 1

Troll? I was in for the Deluxe Edition.

kay - guess I need to spell it out:

1. you stroked us all… pre-selling a bB game that was supposedly finished - but wanting to generate more excitement (which was nice), you added all the cool movie extras - including a reproduction Tara Reid autograph and all the other fun things (contest included), that included user submitted photo's, etc.

2. When did your "talks" begin with the studio, et al?

3. Why were said "talks" initiated *after* the promise and production of this project?

4. You were behind several other movie related projects in the past, which seemed to go just "fine"… what made this project different?

1. The game has been finished for quite a while. I always add all the cool extras for every release that I have. If it is movie related I try to add the movie also.

2. You can't talk to the studios, they do not respond to anything.

3. I always try to contact rights holders before producing a game. Once again they never answer.

4. This project is different because it is the first time that I have received a cease and desist. Sharknado being a current production is probably the reason.

5. It use to be a small community. Not so small anymore.

What you have in these instances are huge fans of a movie, game, etc., being treated the same as other trade mark or copyright infringers despite having the best intentions. We are the most loyal, vocal and hardcore customers. Shouldn't publishers be embracing these projects, rather than suppressing them?

Unfortunately, by ignoring these infringements companies would be putting their hard-earned trade marks and copyrights in danger. If a company was to continually ignore infringements of a trade mark, the protection afforded by the mark is eroded and may render it invalid. The same goes for copyright.

The easiest thing for the companies to do is fire off chain letter cease and desist notices. You would think that it would be just as easy to offer a limited use of the material for a specific purpose but that would require a little effort on their part.

Believe me, I am extremely disappointed that I can not get these games into the hands of other users at AtariAge. It takes a lot of work and expense to put these together.

Edited by neotokeo2001

Well, that's too bad. I didn't pre-order or anything, but I drew a couple of sharks, and enjoyed seeing all the updates to what I thought was a very good and fun campaign for a homebrew.

I did get a prototype card set printed so I will be contacting everyone who entered a sketch sometime in the coming weeks and will mail them a copy of their card.

post-3832-0-46889800-1421726310_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-63247200-1421726309_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001
  • Like 2

What you have in these instances are huge fans of a movie, game, etc., being treated the same as other trade mark or copyright infringers despite having the best intentions. We are the most loyal, vocal and hardcore customers. Shouldn't publishers be embracing these projects, rather than suppressing them?

Unfortunately, by ignoring these infringements companies would be putting their hard-earned trade marks and copyrights in danger. If a company was to continually ignore infringements of a trade mark, the protection afforded by the mark is eroded and may render it invalid. The same goes for copyright.

??? On one hand you think your project should be exempt from IP infringement because you're a fan and on the other hand you seem to realize that they need to enforce their ownership. Your project may be a fan-made labor of love but that shouldn't exempt it. Any other IP infringer with more nefarious intentions can easily make the same argument. Whether you're losing money, breaking even, or earning a small profit is irrelevant. Whether the platform you are developing on is obsolete is also irrelevant. You are using the "Sharknado" brand without permission. Put a larger effort into getting their blessing or just change the name and any other infringing imagery.

In the end I make these games for myself and the people that work with me to make it happen. I will continue to do that in the future. These games are made for autograph cartridges to be signed by celebrities, in this case Tara Reid from Sharknado. It wouldn't make sense for me to have her sign a generic game called SharkStorm. Over the years I have made copies available to other people due to the demand for them. I think this release just became too big in my attempt not to have people disappointed for missing out.

And yes Andrew, I know. We have had this discussion several times before. You don't get what I am doing and see me as an IP thief. If that was really the case I would be selling Sharknado cartridges for years to come and I would continually make Phantasm, Army of Darkness, Strangeland and all the others constantly available. Believe me I could sell as many copies as I could make.

I will offer my movie based games in the future but it will be cut way back in number and the list of people who enjoy these releases will be offered the games instead of trying to appease everyone.

For everyone disappointed in the cancellation of this game, Sharknado will return in the future either re-branded or renamed. So we will see a Sharktastrophe or a Demonado by the Summer.

And yes Andrew, I know. We have had this discussion several times before. You don't get what I am doing and see me as an IP thief. If that was really the case I would be selling Sharknado cartridges for years to come and I would continually make Phantasm, Army of Darkness, Strangeland and all the others constantly available. Believe me I could sell as many copies as I could make.

It's a bit more subtle than that. I understand that you think you are paying a tribute to something you love. But you're foolish in this approach. Just because you think your use of someone's IP is harmless, and in fact beneficial for them... doesn't make it the right thing to do. If you don't have permission to use the IP, then don't use it. End of story. To do otherwise is asking for trouble, and you got it. Sometimes people won't care, sometimes people will care. But if they allow the little things to go by without caring, they can lose their IP rights. So mostly, it's in everyone's interests for you to actually get permission before using IP. It's totally not about money or financial gain; it's about rights.

It's a bit more subtle than that. I understand that you think you are paying a tribute to something you love. But you're foolish in this approach. Just because you think your use of someone's IP is harmless, and in fact beneficial for them... doesn't make it the right thing to do. If you don't have permission to use the IP, then don't use it. End of story. To do otherwise is asking for trouble, and you got it. Sometimes people won't care, sometimes people will care. But if they allow the little things to go by without caring, they can lose their IP rights. So mostly, it's in everyone's interests for you to actually get permission before using IP. It's totally not about money or financial gain; it's about rights.

And the cycle continues...

Seen this happen years ago with a Dance music Cd called "Dance Godzilla" This dude put his heart and sole into it.. Sampled the films to death.. was a great fan piece.. but toho lawyers threatened to sue his ass into the ground.. Besides preorders.. i don't think it ever hit the market... You should have HUNGRY SHARK eat some Lawyers...

• Like 1