IGNORED

SHARKNADO (Atari 2600) Put On Hold/Cancelled

neotokeo2001

post-3832-0-86544100-1421721231_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to let everyone know that SHARKNADO for the Atari 2600 has been put on indefinite hold and probably cancelled. Last Friday I received what was basically a cease and desist for using the SHARKNADO name and images. I have sent a message to The Asylum and the VP, Intellectual Property
NBCUniversal Media, to see if anything can be done to allow the release of SHARKNADO on the Atari 2600.

Fingers crossed that something can be worked out so that the game can be released to the Atari 2600 community. I am a big fan of The Asylum for their work on Sharknado and Z-Nation and hope that someone over there can see this game for what it is, a fan made tribute to the insanity that is Sharknado and not a commercial product. These games are produced as close to cost as possible and I usually lose money on there release. The Atari 2600 is an obsolete gaming system that was initially released in 1977 and has been kept alive by people for the love of the system and it's games, not for the profit of a business opportunity.

I don't really expect to get a reply from NBCUniversal or The Asylum regarding this release so the game may be re-branded and resurrected later this year in a new form if that is the case. I am sorry to everyone that was looking forward to this game.

This opens the door for my next release, HUNGER SHARK. Yes, another shark game.

On land during the day, we humans rule. Or at least we are considered top predators, and with our feet on the ground, we are in our element. In the sea, without a boat, forget about it. We are too slow, too encumbered with gear, and often too stupid to be much more then prey. What's to worry about down there? Plenty!

To be eaten - think about it for more then a moment and you're likely to push the thought from your rational mind and back into the depths of your subconsciousness.

The Great White Shark is one of a handful of animals alive today that can actually eat one of us alive - and sometimes does.

post-3832-0-25199000-1421721066_thumb.jpg

Normal Version

post-3832-0-15139900-1421721067_thumb.jpg

Gory Version

post-3832-0-21018200-1421721072_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-85349800-1421721072_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-51860400-1421721073_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-17279600-1421721074_thumb.jpg

Eat people to avoid starvation, but watch out for that pesky Coast Guard!

Controls and gameplay:

In Hunger Shark you play as a shark with an insatiable appetite.- To move Hunger Shark, point the joystick in the direction you want him to move.

- To eat people, Hunger Shark must sufficiently overlap them. Doing so gains you points, and replenishes a bit of your Hunger Bar.

- If your Hunger Bar drains completely, you will die of starvation.

- After some time, when the water becomes blood red, the Coast Guard will send a patrol ship and shoot at you.

- Touching a squid collects it for later use. Using a squid, by pressing fire, will replenish your health completely, but will spray ink, thus turning Hunger Shark and the water black for a time. You can carry up to three squids at a time, but touching them will always yield 1000 bonus points.

- Treasure is known to pop at the sea floor from time to time. It may not be nutritious, but it does yield 1000 bonus points.

- Mines will periodically spawn near the bottom of the screen, so be on your guard!

- The game increases in difficulty slightly with each level.

Edited by neotokeo2001

I'm absolutely amazed they even noticed? Did you ask permission or something, I find it better not to ask permission for these kind of things because the answer will always be no....otherwise somebody deliberately told which is lame...

*edit

Ooohhhh, I wonder who the lucky winner of the prototype was? Now thats a real one of a kind homebrew right there...

Edited by Crazy Climber
  • Like 1

This looks like a very good game,i wish sharknado didnt get cancelled but i understand if you cant release it right now.I just wanted to ask about this game called hunger shark,is this coming out soon?

SHARKNADO will live again in a retitled and/or reworked game. Maybe go with theloons working title Shark Storm.

The Hunger Shark boxes are being printed right now. There will be two label and box variations, Normal (Blue) and Gore (Red). I will probably start taken pre-orders within two weeks.

post-3832-0-30785600-1421884690_thumb.jpg

post-3832-0-07854100-1421884694_thumb.jpg

I'm absolutely amazed they even noticed? Did you ask permission or something, I find it better not to ask permission for these kind of things because the answer will always be no....otherwise somebody deliberately told which is lame...

*edit

Ooohhhh, I wonder who the lucky winner of the prototype was? Now thats a real one of a kind homebrew right there...

I did try to contact them 6 months ago. I really did not believe at first that someone deliberately reported the game but with some of the responses I have received it makes me wonder.

The winner of the SHARKNADO Sketch Contest was wongojack. He received the only un-signed prototype of SHARKNADO. It does make it a nice collectable.

Here is the cartridge, movie and SHARKNADO ornament in there new home.

post-3832-0-55963500-1421885194_thumb.jpg

I did try to contact them 6 months ago. I really did not believe at first that someone deliberately reported the game but with some of the responses I have received it makes me wonder.

The winner of the SHARKNADO Sketch Contest was wongojack. He received the only un-signed prototype of SHARKNADO. It does make it a nice collectable.

Here is the cartridge, movie and SHARKNADO ornament in there new home.

attachicon.gifpost-5812-0-59815300-1420236202.jpg

I just got up to speed on this. What a terrible development. This was going to be such a nice addition to the 2600 library.

In other news, I seem to have lucked into quite a unique item. I'm not a "flipper," so you won't find this on Ebay any time soon. I suppose that I would be interested in trading it back into the community to someone who takes a lot of pride in their Homebrew collection. If you are interested, please contact me via PM, and I will provide some ideas for a trade. If you have less than 50 (give or take) posts on AA then don't bother contacting me.

• 1 month later...