IGNORED

Remember These?

sparkdrummer

I've been painfully sorting out all my TI cartridge "spares" and came across this Munchman cart with the pop riveted clip attached to it.

How many on here remember going to your favorite TI retailer and pulling down a chained cartridge to try before you buy?

post-39776-0-99548900-1421758964_thumb.jpg

Brings back memories of going to a local store to buy TI-99/4A stuff.

conTInuing,

-Ralph...

• Like 1

I remember those cables quite well--and the fact that almost all of the cartridges on the wires were the general home utilities carts and the early games. Almost none of the later stuff ever ended up as part of one of those displays. . .except as a boxed cart for customers to buy.

To my sadness I was too young when TI stuff was still in stores, I was born in 1980.

In addition the whole TI Home Computer topic was not that big in Austria.

My father bought the TI 99/4a unit in 1983, wise decision if you ask me :)

The first thing I remember in terms of seeing electronics in stores was the Nintendo M82 unit to demo the NES games and some game & watch tricotronics inside the glas table.

I know of these cartridges but never saw one in the UK, I don't think the chains/cables were needed here, it's not that we are more honest, If someone over here was going to steal a computer or a game in the early eighties-it certainly would not have been from TI. :(

In my experience, chains wouldn't have stopped most 80's kids in Manchester anyhow! I've lost count of the cycle-chains I've seen still locked to posts around the city, with no bike in sight.

Definitely not something that any Canadian retailers used (to my knowledge - big country)

When I had my TI in mid-83 there were already limited resources for software/hardware.

Mostly there were national department store chains (Hudson's Bay Company, Eatons and Simpsons-Sears) where salesclerks would be hanging off you the moment you entered the "computer department" (these hard-sell commission-based vultures would never let customers touch anything without "assistance") so they would never have had an unattended demo model. In Toronto where I live, aside from these department stores, there was only one computer retailer that still carried TI goods, but it was a whole in the wall in the shopping concourse of a bank tower. Although he had great stock depth (an entire wall of TI software, and any peripheral you could imagine), he had no room to actually have any systems set up for testing.)

So glad you posted the thread. If I had ever come across such a beast I wouldn't have had a clue what it was.

• 3 weeks later...