IGNORED

Bally Astrocade

adamchevy

Looking at getting into collecting and playing the Bally Astrocade. Are they worth the premium price tag? I am a firm believer in the idea that its the games that make the system. Are the games that good? How are the controllers? Where do you find one of these besides eBay?

The controllers are very interesting, and actually quite functional; both joystick and paddle are available simultaneously.

As you might expect, most of the games are fairly average for the era, a few are impressive, and some aren't so great. I think versions of most games are available on, and are better represented on other systems. There are LOTS of cassette tapes of basic programs people wrote, so there are lots of unique tapes out there to find, catalog, explore, but most are probably pretty uninteresting.

It is an unusual system in many ways, from a collecting point of view. You might look into emulation to figure out what you think of the games. The system itself may be expensive, but the carts don't usually cost too much, but are harder to find than most systems. I like it, but don't really play it that often.

One thing I like in the system is the amazing sound.

The Bally sound chip have no equivalent in this generation, and also, it was used in an unique way as well.

It's mostly a bunch of oscillators with some square wave generator, something that can be made with a classic AY sound chip...

But the Astrocade games use it in a way that no one ever used, and that recent Astrocade homebrews doesn't use as well, which is sad.

Just LISTEN :

Go to 1:25 for even more awesomeness :thumbsup:

No 70s console can't have his copy of Pac Man.

It's a bit meh, but it's a third party non licenced game so... not so bad. and the sound again is pretty awesome and close to the arcade.

(i like the random patterns at the start music... it's probably because of the lack of RAM)

More awesome sounds :

And this last one, a late release :

Quite impressive compared to other games graphically, a bit lacking in the gameplay area indeed.

I wonder what the Astrocade could do with cart build-in RAM?

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

Looking at getting into collecting and playing the Bally Astrocade. Are they worth the premium price tag? I am a firm believer in the idea that its the games that make the system. Are the games that good? How are the controllers? Where do you find one of these besides eBay?

The games are fantastic (not that many of them), the controllers are a bit unorthodox. Besides the scarcity, I've been told many times the systems break very easily and aren't too easy to fix.

Edited by Greg2600

The Astrocade is definitely worth owning, but try to play one at a show or from a fellow collector first. A lot of what makes it unique and fun is the sound and the controllers, neither of which can be truly appreciated via emulation.

Games are very affordable, even brand new sealed, and multicarts are available. What gets expensive is the hardware itself, if you can even find a system in good working order.

You really do have to commit yourself to the system for it to be worthwhile, but you do you'll enjoy some truly fun and unique gaming not to be found anywhere else :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replys thus far. I always forget about emulation when it comes to exploring a systems library of games. The controllers and impressive sound output( with what I've heard on the interweb videos) are what have really peaked my interest. Also, I've heard that its graphically superior to the other systems of the time. A cart with a melody board built in like the new AtariAge homebrews would be interesting to see.I have heard the systems shouldn't be placed on carpet due to heat issues, also that in shipping they have been known to reach there destination damaged. That's one of my main concerns is the fragile hardware. I would need to be very explicit with the seller about this. I am going to comic con next week in salt lake city, I doubt there will be an astrocade there to try. I only live 6.5 hours from Vegas, so I'm going to look into an upcoming expo to attend that will hopefully have a demo unit.

Am looking to sell mine. Just is not getting the attention it deserves. Mint console (dare I say, very much like brand new) with one controller, two binders full (copies of complete collection I believe) of the Bally newsletter, BASIC cart still in the shrink, one controller in perfect working condition and the system is boxed. Removed the RF shield just in case for heat related probs, that I never experienced. Saved the RF shield of course, so would include that. Also comes with the latest multi-cart. 2-3 extra controllers that need work that I never got around to, vintage cassette recorder for saving your BASIC creations and a boxed Derby cartridge. Probably looking at $350 plus shipping.

post-13896-0-41064400-1421874382_thumb.jpg post-13896-0-54476500-1421874383_thumb.jpg

Am looking to sell mine. Just is not getting the attention it deserves. Mint console (dare I say, very much like brand new) with one controller, two binders full (copies of complete collection I believe) of the Bally newsletter, BASIC cart still in the shrink, one controller in perfect working condition and the system is boxed. Removed the RF shield just in case for heat related probs, that I never experienced. Saved the RF shield of course, so would include that. Also comes with the latest multi-cart. 2-3 extra controllers that need work that I never got around to, vintage cassette recorder for saving your BASIC creations and a boxed Derby cartridge. Probably looking at $350 plus shipping.

That is a very good price. Comparable to what I paid, $220 4 controllers, no box, $120 multi cart.

If I didn't LOVE Wizard Of War and collect wood-grain systems, I'd say skip the real thing.

I added heat sinks from Console5 and a fan for my own peace of mind.

Mine is a Bally. They came first. I figure if I have a working original model that has use then it's probably not so fragile.

Astrocades came later, though the system is referred to as Bally Astrocade.

That is a very good price. Comparable to what I paid, $220 4 controllers, no box, $120 multi cart.

If I didn't LOVE Wizard Of War and collect wood-grain systems, I'd say skip the real thing.

I added heat sinks from Console5 and a fan for my own peace of mind.

Mine is a Bally. They came first. I figure if I have a working original model that has use then it's probably not so fragile.

Astrocades came later, though the system is referred to as Bally Astrocade.

what thermal epoxy did you use to hold the heat sink down?

• Like 1