IGNORED

Quake II engine rewrite for Falcon030

dml

Looks awesome! Any chance of a playable version at some point?

It's mostly work on the engine at the moment, so a playable game of any sort is still quite a distant prospect.

Later though, once all the technical challenges with graphics etc. are dealt with something will likely appear.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For some reason my AtariAge posts ended up filed in spam.

I've been working on a 2D, 50hz game prototyping engine for Atari STE. I recently posted the source & tutorials on BitBucket, with a thread on AF for updates.

(Haven't done much with 3D in recent months but getting the itch for that again...)

• Like 1

For some reason my AtariAge posts ended up filed in spam.

I've been working on a 2D, 50hz game prototyping engine for Atari STE. I recently posted the source & tutorials on BitBucket, with a thread on AF for updates.

(Haven't done much with 3D in recent months but getting the itch for that again...)

I'd love to see what you could do with something like the NeoN Graphix or InShape's source code. It would be really cool too see a ST/Falcon application that could animate and render 3D imagery using more modern techniques. (Within reason of course) There were plans to integrate Spectrum 512 type display modes into CAD 3D but that never happened. With all the advances in the ST/Falcon lines by third party vendors, surely there could be a way to network data, create ST/Falcon render farms, or use emulators to accelerate rendering. Think of the possibilities it could provide to the demo scene.. particularly for adding 3D visuals to their already amazing work.

Edited by vizfizz

I used POVRay a lot on the Ataris, and the Cad3D programs (mainly Sculpt, Control,.Paint) but not the later stuff. I looked at them but didn't use them.

I was working on a physically based renderer some years ago, but its probably too slow for Atari systems.

I also did some mandelbox rendering with Falcon FPU quite recently. It's raytrace-speed (zzzZZZ), but its a calculation-heavy problem and the '882 FPU is more precision than speed.

I can link a build if I can find it - although its basically a very slow screensaver! No controls.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to do. This was an exercise in rendering fractals, and is an efficient (and optimised) method for it. Triangles would have been a poor choice for this kind of object on any kind of hardware.

If you were rendering (e.g. hand-modelled) polygonal objects however, then a triangle based surface renderer would be fine.

• Like 1

If you were rendering (e.g. hand-modelled) polygonal objects however, then a triangle based surface renderer would be fine.

Actually this is what I'd prefer seeing on the Atari ST/Falcon line anyway. I've always been impressed with the various 2D scene demos out there...not to mention the amazing music we get to hear. However, a lot of Atari art I see is so flat. The ST and Falcon never quite made it into the 3D market despite CAD3D being the grand daddy of Autodesk's 3D studio. An improved renderer for CAD 3D / Scupt files (as a minimum) could go a long way.

Just look at the reaction people have to your Quake Videos. Granted, this is an entirely different process....but the end result is a level of Wow factor that most Atari people rarely enjoy. As faster hardware products emerge the slow rendering times would improve...especially if one could leverage multiple ST/Falcons into the mix.

If you want to get back into 3D...think about it.

• 2 months later...