IGNORED

PHA4100 w/ Vertical Hold problem...fixable?

PeBo

A local seller has a TI (Matsushita model) monitor available. Case isn't in 100% top shape, but it's passable.

It is something I would like to have, but the ad states:

"When I connect a TI-99, the picture scrolls vertically. Adjusting vertical hold control changed the rate, but did not stop the scrolling."

Now, I know less than nothing about CRT's and while I know it's impossible to accurately diagnose a problem long distance, I'm curious what my chances MIGHT be to fix this. I'd likely not attempt it myself (there's a local company that specializes in repairing industrial and security monitors, that I'd probably turn to) since I wouldn't know where to even start (I'm guessing a crystal replacement??)

Just seems to me that when I was a kid, the ONE thing that would find us buying a new TV would be a screwy Vert Hold, despite the guy with a tray of tubes, who'd usually just replace a dead one, charge $10 for the house call and be on his way.

The monitor is cheap....I mean WAY cheap, it'll cost me $40 to buy AND have it shipped to me. But even $40 is more than I want to spend if it's going to cost me even more to attempt an unsuccessful repair, and I just end up taking it to the recycling depot on the sellers behalf.

So I'm not looking for solutions (unless they're do-able by a neophyte with a solder gun) as much as just being curious if anyone feels I might have ANY chance to stop the scrolling....

...or if I should just let this 'deal' pass.

This is why the TI should have had a scroll lock key!

(I know, "Groan!"...It's late, I'm tired)

Edited by PeBo

PeBo,

My PHA-4100A has a "July 1982 / Matsushita" label on it. When I first received it in 1999, the screen was scrolling/flickering. It didn't take much, but there's a very small sweet spot that stops the scrolling. My monitor is sensitive enough that if I wiggled the vertical hold control a little bit the screen would flicker. So it was only with very slow and deliberate twists to the left and right and a little patience until I dialed in the monitor that the vertical hold held. I followed the steps in the manual for dialing in the color and vertical/horizontal. Looks great for a 32 year old monitor. Too bad you can't get your hands on it prior to purchase.

A CAP-Kit is probably what it needs after 30 years. Check out the arcade-museum.com forums for help in that area. Also, don't open a CRT monitor if you don't know what you are doing (I have know idea of your level-of-knowledge in electronics), they can hurt you really badly.

Oh, Matt, always the stickler for "safety." I say you have not lived until you get bitten by a charged CRT and its fly-back transformer!

(Just kidding -- that shit can kill you.)

I may consider capping the ol 10" ti monitor, but it needs pots more than caps.. volume is staticy as hell and all of the adjustments have to be "just so" or they go wonky.. someone needs to make a parts list?

Greg

It would be nice to have kits available for some other items as well, (like the P-Box power supply)... all high-grade dry caps of course. That should easily last the rest of our lifetimes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm new here and haven't even introduced myself yet (I will as soon as I'm done with my taxes :D ) but I was taking a break and reading the TI threads and came across this one. I have a monitor that sounds similar to the one described. I'm familiar with "cap kits" for arcade monitors and even have one myself but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I figured that might be the answer for my old TI monitor as well and am glad to hear others confirm it. So I echo the question above, has anybody made a list of the caps/pots needed and/or sourced the parts? My F18A kit arrived yesterday and it looks GORGEOUS so my TI is destined to be running on my 19" CRT monitor (which I plan to customize to resemble the old 10" TI monitor, will be starting a thread on that when I get to it) but I would love to get the original TI monitor working to either sell it to a collector or keep it for posterity.

Thanks!

• Like 2

... my TI is destined to be running on my 19" CRT monitor (which I plan to customize to resemble the old 10" TI monitor, will be starting a thread on that when I get to it)

Ooooooh yeah! I'm looking forward to that! It would be cool to get the proper stencils to put the

30px-TI-logo-black.pngTEXAS INSTRUMENTS and color monitor on the front.

ti_monitor.jpg

Ooooooh yeah! I'm looking forward to that! It would be cool to get the proper stencils to put the

30px-TI-logo-black.pngTEXAS INSTRUMENTS and color monitor on the front.

Stencils would be cool but since its just black and might be tough to cut, I might just cheat and scan/print it on a clear decal.

If all else fails buy a TI monitor remove guts and fit a flat screen into casing, then upgrade TI with a F18A and you can have a sweet video modded system that still looks stock :P

I have an original TI monitor which I'll be using as a guide, but 10" is just way to small and I'd also prefer to stick with a CRT. Some of these old systems loose something when you display them on an LCD and I have a great donor 19" CRT monitor that I'd already de-cased for another project.

The closest match I could find was a 15" Proview...

Yeah, If I come across a really close match I might consider just using it but currently my plan is to use the casing from a TV that has a similar Bezel style to the TI monitor. I actually have one that's pretty close and another maybe even better one went up on craigslist last weekend (for $3 lol) that I'll go snag if he still has it after I get finished dealing with taxes.