IGNORED

Colecovision II Console ?

dirty-harry

Opcode did discuss the possibly of releasing a Colecovision 2. I think the idea was to release it so it could support cartridge games, had native sgm support, and some extra ram so it could play some arcade games from the mid to late 80's. But given the situation with opcode the odds of this being released by him are very low.

I do believe 5-11under is working on a drop in motherboard for existing colecovision cases, but I don't know if

it will support the super game's. that would be a question for him.

At this point I'm not adding functionality that would make it a CV2. I will add 24K RAM, and possibly SGM capability, but basically it's a replacement for a CV.

Like others have probably said, if you want a CV2, buy an SMS or MSX or MSX2 or NES. At least there are games for those systems. There are no CV2 games.

• Like 3

What might be Cool !

A self-build Colecovision II to build yourself from parts, PCB, ICs, resistors etc then test and get working would be cool ! Like the Old Sinclair ZX 81 kits ! It would be cheaper to use the V9958 in any new CV console, the V9958 is cheaper and easier to source than the original TMS9918A.? and still fit into an original case !

I hate to feed the trolls, so to speak, but I've been out of the loop for awhile. What happened to/with Opcode? I get that he hasn't filled the orders and that lots of people are upset -I see LOTs of posts about that- but was there a reason given? Is there a health issue? Work related? Was any reason given? I'm not trying to pile on, I just want to know if anyone's truly heard an explanation. ?

I hate to feed the trolls, so to speak, but I've been out of the loop for awhile. What happened to/with Opcode? I get that he hasn't filled the orders and that lots of people are upset -I see LOTs of posts about that- but was there a reason given? Is there a health issue? Work related? Was any reason given? I'm not trying to pile on, I just want to know if anyone's truly heard an explanation. ?

I figure he has lost interest ... otherwise he would come around .

I believe opcode stated a while back that he had gone through a divorce and there were health issues with his kids. While others get mad at him, I tend to cut him some slack. With these issues, along with the fact he works a full time job it has to be hard for him. Yeah, he should communicate what's going on...but he hasn't actually cheated anyone out of their money. He's just slow getting things done.

I believe opcode stated a while back that he had gone through a divorce and there were health issues with his kids. While others get mad at him, I tend to cut him some slack. With these issues, along with the fact he works a full time job it has to be hard for him. Yeah, he should communicate what's going on...but he hasn't actually cheated anyone out of their money. He's just slow getting things done.

Some people paid for theirs over 2 years ago and he still hasn't made good on delivery. How much more slack do you want to cut him?

• Like 2

Well, personally, the problem I have with this is that I paid for mine early in the first run and received it fairly quickly. If others hadn't waited to order, they'd probably have theirs too. I agree that it is taking entirely too long, but it's not like he's a big company with massive production facilities and a hundred employees. He's only one person who is probably overwhelmed with other things in his life that are more important to him right now.

Some people paid for theirs over 2 years ago and he still hasn't made good on delivery. How much more slack do you want to cut him?

It's nice to dream about a Colecovision II console but in reality it just doesn't make sense to build one. The games would all be converted Sega Master System and NES so whats the point?

I'd rather see people push the boundaries of the original Colecovision to play those type of games just to see what could have been. Like Ed's pac-man collection one of the greatest games made for the Colecovision so far.

Edited by Jordiway
  • Like 3

It's nice to dream about a Colecovision II console but in reality it just doesn't make sense to build one. The games would all be converted Sega Master System and NES so whats the point?

I'd rather see people push the boundaries of the original Colecovision to play those type of games just to see what could have been. Like Ed's pac-man collection one of the greatest games made for the Colecovision so far.

GREAT point, Jordiway; I agree completely. At that point, all the CV2 would be is an emulator. It would play original CV games but wouldn't be the original CV. And it could play versions of games from similar consoles. I don't know of any Atari fans buying a Colecovision, so they can play 2600 games. They just buy a 2600.

• Like 2

Well, personally, the problem I have with this is that I paid for mine early in the first run and received it fairly quickly. If others hadn't waited to order, they'd probably have theirs too. I agree that it is taking entirely too long, but it's not like he's a big company with massive production facilities and a hundred employees. He's only one person who is probably overwhelmed with other things in his life that are more important to him right now.

That's a bummer. I see both sides. Very frustrating for those who paid and were promised a product. It's not good business to do that to your otherwise very loyal fanbase. That said, however, he has always made good on his word and it wouldn't make sense for him to go through so much R&D and other efforts just to scam a few thousand dollars. If no one's heard anything, maybe things are worse for him than we can understand. At the worst, some people are out MONEY -and that sucks. But there's nothing that can be done about that. Just give him time (I know, the question is how much time) and I'm sure he'll resurface and make things right. He's always been good for that.

Congratulations, you were one of the lucky ones to have gotten in on his first run. He took orders for a second run and lots of people's money, then the delays started happening and excuses until he's pretty much been MIA for months. I'm sorry but this is the kind of thing I have seen on several other forums before. First the excuses about "real life" getting in the way, then familial or health and/or financial problems until finally no responses and by then so many months have passed that buyers have no easy recourse for their losses. You can cut him all the slack you want (give them an inch and they'll take a mile) but at this point there just isn't any excuse for doing business that way. None.

I strongly caution other buyers here about paying up front for goods and services in full. It's a risky practice, especially when you aren't dealing with a large or established business and just dealing with some guy who works out of his garage, per se. Only offer them a reasonably low deposit at most. That way if they decide for whatever reason not to keep up their end, you're not deep out-of-pocket from being defrauded by some unscrupulous seller. This should not have happened and Eduardo should simply refund those that request it or deliver what was promised. He's had 2 years to deal with "Real Life."

GREAT point, Jordiway; I agree completely. At that point, all the CV2 would be is an emulator. It would play original CV games but wouldn't be the original CV. And it could play versions of games from similar consoles. I don't know of any Atari fans buying a Colecovision, so they can play 2600 games. They just buy a 2600.

It is exactly what Happens with SGM Game now. All SGM games produced up to today are direct port from MSX, SG1000 or ADAM.

It is exactly what Happens with SGM Game now. All SGM games produced up to today are direct port from MSX, SG1000 or ADAM.

Yes, except the SGM titles all play on the original Colecovision via an expansion module, not a complete, separate console. To exclude those would be like excluding any arcade ports (including the pack-in game, Donkey Kong!) because they are just ports from arcade originals. Similarly, all ADAM games would have to be excluded then too, since they can be played via the ADAM expansion. I think that as games can be played using the original console -either directly or by way of some sort of expansion (SGM, ADAM, Super Action Controllers, etc.), then they should be considered "original." Once the core hardware is completely eliminated from the equation, then you're no longer playing the original console.

Yes, except the SGM titles all play on the original Colecovision via an expansion module, not a complete, separate console. To exclude those would be like excluding any arcade ports (including the pack-in game, Donkey Kong!) because they are just ports from arcade originals. Similarly, all ADAM games would have to be excluded then too, since they can be played via the ADAM expansion. I think that as games can be played using the original console -either directly or by way of some sort of expansion (SGM, ADAM, Super Action Controllers, etc.), then they should be considered "original." Once the core hardware is completely eliminated from the equation, then you're no longer playing the original console.

No it is different with existing SGM game. It is not the same kind of "portage" than Donkey Kong for instance.

In case of port from SG1000 , MSX .. it is how if for instance you have a car that can drive on a dry road.

Here the car : would be the game

the road : would be the machine (let say the SG1000)

In case of the car "Donkey Kong" , you rebuilt a car from zero with different material but at the end it looks like a "Donkey Kong" Car that can drive on a Snowy Road (the colecovision).

In case of a SG1000/MSX "port" , you take the original car, you just swap the Tires for Snow Tires , and you drive on the snowy Road. (optionnaly, you ask the help of a Snow Truck to remove the snow for you because you changed only 2 tires instead of 4 (the SGM) ).

If you play Galaga on Colecovision with SGM , and if you play the MSX version on MSX , you won't see any difference. Simply because it is the same. It is like playing Atari 2600 game on a Colecovision with Atari module.

If you play Galaga on Colecovision with SGM , and if you play the MSX version on MSX , you won't see any difference. Simply because it is the same. It is like playing Atari 2600 game on a Colecovision with Atari module.

That's fine with me because I don't have an MSX. However, I would like to see some games programmed from the ground up for the SGM like the Donkey Kong Arcade that was in development.

As far as Ed being MIA: there's no excuse for not taking 10 minutes out of one's schedule to post on AtariAge and give us an update.

• Like 1

Strange, I've been a supporter of his for years starting with the Space Invaders Collection if I remember. Never had an issue with Opcode. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's always been trustworthy. It must be some serious stuff he's going through but yeah taking at least 5-10 minutes in a day to give people a heads up is do-able at least I'm hoping he's physically ok to do that. Even on a phone, just pick up the phone head to the website and type in "Hey guys, I'm in deep shat, will get back to you asap".

Anyway, divorces and health problems can prevent people from focusing on anything other than the matter at hand, I know I've been there. Personally if something was happening where I can still do something physically I would send people checks and tell them, here's your money back I can't concentrate on anything right now but my life issues.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, it's just bewildering because he's the last person I would think would be scamming anyone.

Strange, I've been a supporter of his for years starting with the Space Invaders Collection if I remember. Never had an issue with Opcode. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's always been trustworthy. It must be some serious stuff he's going through but yeah taking at least 5-10 minutes in a day to give people a heads up is do-able at least I'm hoping he's physically ok to do that. Even on a phone, just pick up the phone head to the website and type in "Hey guys, I'm in deep shat, will get back to you asap".

Anyway, divorces and health problems can prevent people from focusing on anything other than the matter at hand, I know I've been there. Personally if something was happening where I can still do something physically I would send people checks and tell them, here's your money back I can't concentrate on anything right now but my life issues.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him, it's just bewildering because he's the last person I would think would be scamming anyone.

I completely agree. That's the point I was trying to make too. I've supported Eduardo since the beginning and he's always been trustworthy. He may have bitten off more than he could chew -and coupled with personal issues- it became too much to handle. Granted, that's NOT an excuse to go AWOL ...not when you're running a business. I know it was just a home business/side project and not his main source of revenue but if you're (Eduardo) going to take people's money and EVER expect to be taken seriously, then you have to at LEAST be professional enough to take 5 minutes out of your day to update those who've paid you money. Everyone has issues, I understand. But if you take someone's money, then you DO owe them something -even if it's just an explanation. It's not like those people who sent money gave it to Microsoft or Sony. It was to an individual; there WAS a certain level of risk involved. But if nothing else, based on Eduardo's prior reputation, I truly think he'll make good on his promises. He has a LOT of P.R. work to do with his image but I believe he'll follow through...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Agreed but I don't think that MSX games are as cheap or ready available as NES and Sega Master and I didn't own an MSX or Adam as a kid and I don't think too many other people here did either. So to be able to add an abundance of new games to the Colecovision library and push the hardware to new limits is pretty cool if you ask me.

And not to be a jerk but for those complaining about Ed please use the appropriate thread and stay on topic with this thread thanks.

Agreed but I don't think that MSX games are as cheap or ready available as NES and Sega Master and I didn't own an MSX or Adam as a kid and I don't think too many other people here did either. So to be able to add an abundance of new games to the Colecovision library and push the hardware to new limits is pretty cool if you ask me.

And not to be a jerk but for those complaining about Ed please use the appropriate thread and stay on topic with this thread thanks.

Yes, i agree in same country you have may not access easly to MSX title. But nowaday thanks to internet if you really want you can. you find MSX computer for the most commun ones at around 20-40 USD , game between 5 and 50 usd. even if you add shipping cost and power adaptator if you need ... i think at the end if will be less expensive than buy all SGM Games and you will have even lot of more choice.

i own lot of machine never sold in my country , that i bought around the world thanks to the net.