IGNORED

Thinking of abandoning the 5200...maybe get an 8-bit computer

Dauber

Well you look at some hsc scores they love their emulation(save states)

Emulation is ok if you have no room and want all systems. But they are never 100% perfect( colors, speed, sound, and the whole controller problem for the right feel) the original equipment can't be beat. But this is all off topic. Keep the 5200 around unless you have no room for it. It wont kill ya?? I never get rid of or sell any video games, controllers or computer systems ever.. never have have them all from age 7 till 38.

• Like 1

For me, it was emulation - and you can get 99.999% accuracy - it was only back in the 90s' or late 90's that accurate emulation depended upon having the graphics support in the PC - but these days when PCs - especially laptops are so much faster/more powerful that emulation is no problem for the exact same frame rate as the original hardware. What is more, is that emulation for any computer/console now is available - so if you are into games - there is no better choice.

You can play the original coin-ops with Mame - instead of settling for cut down home computer versions - that failed to deliver. eg. Zaxxon, Dig Dug and a few others...

In my case - I am designing graphics for Atari 400/800/5200 etc - so I am pretty sure about the accuracy - maybe it's 95% in this case.

You can always keep the 5200 in storage - in case you might want to go back to it? I would have liked to have kept my Atari 800/800XL - but I upgraded to more systems/etc and money was always a problem with me, and still is.

The best console in my opinion is the Super Nintendo - which was the natural successor to the 5200 - had improved sprite hardware and other surprises.

Harvey

• Like 1

For arcade games, I'll always go to MAME as kiwilove mentioned. In the 80s and even 90s, all console versions of great arcade games were cut down sacrificing audio, visuals, options, and speed (to name a few). Unless I have real nostalgia for arcade ports from playing them as a kid, I go with MAME all the way. I have a bare bones old Neo Geo cab, a tank stick, and an old desk top inside that does the trick for me. That said, the 5200 is my favorite Atari system. The analog controllers make it unique and the trak ball is awesome. Even if they are not arcade perfect, Robotron and Space Dungeon on the coupler with two working analog sticks is a unique gaming experience. Much like the Intelllivision, I enjoy the system games over the arcade ports. Gremlins, Pitfall II, and Rescue on Fractalus are outstanding. Additionally, I just got a MyIDE II from Atarimax to expand my experience on the XEGS since I unfortunately never had a computer growing up until an IBM back in 1993. I look forward to playing the outstanding 8-bit library, but I feel I'll never tire of the unique experience of the 5200. So unless you're severely running out of space or need money, I don't see why anyone would sell their 5200.

• Like 3

I have both a 5200 and an XEGS . I find myself playing the 5200 more. I dont know why. As I never owned one back n the day. I was more of an 800XL guy. The 5200 would probably be my favorite Atari console of all time if it wasn't for those crappy controllers.

• Like 2

Noone is pointing out that most 5200 games are basically (ha ha) IDENTICAL to the 400/800/xl/xe counterparts!! It's a fun system to play if you like being able to just let go of the controller and leave your character going in that direction!! Eventually your collection will be unplayable other than pac-man, unless you can fix your own controllers or have an adapter to use return-to-center sticks. The 7800 is stuck in pokey sound land, but has more arcade games and way more modern games! Getting good controllers for the7800 can be hard, too! There is a SUPER COOL guy on eBay that is converting Sega Genesis pads and Nintendo pads to work with TWO BUTTONS on the 7800!

..also there are new boxes that have phone style keypads and inputs for return-to-center joysticks for the 5200! You may want to get those and try it out before you dump the 5200!?! The XEGS looks promising, though. Get on youtube and look at the comparisons between 5200 games and Atari 8-bit computer games and you will see that there is really no difference!!

5200 has two advantages though: unique games (Jr. Pac-Man, Gremlins, Tempest) and the analog Trak-ball.

Tempest with the trak-ball was the best experience I have had playing that game outside of an arcade. Analog control also gives you an advantage in Galaxian because the ship can move at two different speeds, allowing you to speed up or finesse.

• Like 1

Space Invaders was tweaked for the 5200 to be more like the arcade game (add shields, remove that goofy rocket), and IIRC it adds new monster types every couple of waves, but otherwise plays about the same. I like the 5200 version better.

The ghosts in the 5200 version of Pac-Man seem more aggressive than the 800 version.

The analog joystick makes a big difference (for the better) in Star Raiders, Galaxian, Qix, Missile Command, and Centipede. Even Defender benefits greatly just from having all the control functions on one controller instead of forcing you to reach for the keyboard for secondary functions. Of course there's also the 5200 Trakball, one of the best controllers in all of classic gaming.

A lot of 5200 games may look identical to the 400/800 versions, but there are often subtle differences and refinements.

• Like 1

You gave the 5200 much more time, than others would. People won't even buy one because, they've heard all the bad things. The 5200, and a Dreamcast are my favorite. The 5200 is only my favorite because my parents bought us one. Lucky, I liked to tinker. If they bought me a Colecovision perhaps that would've been my favorite.

I've often thought of getting an A8. I like Pastel one with controllers.

The controllers are a pain. I have two working ones. I use the system often, keeping the controllers clean. Never taunt the 5200 controller. It will break down immediately.

Good luck with an A8. Thanks for taking the time to form a complete opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301525676396?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

..there ya go..

They do Genesis pads and NES pads with BOTH buttons enabled for 7800 systems. They also do Colecovision pads!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Genesis-Mod-Controller-with-2-Buttons-for-use-on-The-Atari-7800-/301526350429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46345efa5d

Edited by Papa

Emulation is like having to wear a condom during sex. Yeah, the end result is the same, but getting there is mostly fake. :grin:

Emulation is like moving to a city and getting an expensive apartment so you can walk places and then buying a Lamborghini to drive to a VP one block away in a 20 mph zone to get free matches and one donut!! :P

• 1 month later...

Another vote here for XL over 5200... 99% of 5200 games are on A8 carts and they work great with the reliable 2600 joysticks. Any 5200 only or enhanced games you can use Glenn the 5200 Man ports on either a disk drive or SD cart. Like trackballs? The 2600 TB is great even in joystick mode and can be use in any game.

Plus you can even play XEGS or disk games...

The main reason I like the 5200 is the high quality A-list Arcade titles of the time. I have a Atarimax 128 in one cart and a redemption module for running 7800 controllers with a Wico keypad.

Fun system. Don't own an actual 5200 controller anymore (that works).

I like my 5200 only slightly more than my Incogneto Atari 800 because I have fewer steps to load games.

Can't hit a BBS from a 5200.. so that is a downer point.