IGNORED

SAMs club Flashback

Fushek

Yep, I was at Sams the other day and saw the $19.xx price tag from afar and my eyes popped out of my head. The tag was just for the Coleco unit but I grabbed the INTV one as well to see if it rang up at the same price. Sure enough, it did. I totally hadn't planned on buying these things but at that price it's a steal.

I'm amazed at how well they replicated the INTV controllers. I compared one side by side with an original and was impressed. Dimensions and molding are almost exact. The Coleco controllers are very close but the Flashback's controllers are a little shorter and the stick nub is a little closer to the controller.

As for the emulation, it seems pretty spot on. I have to admit that it's been awhile since I fired up either console but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the emulation.

The Flashback units themselves feel like empty shells. The electronics could probably fit into something the size of the controller they come with!

Overall I'm happy with both units. And the extra overlays are a plus! :thumbsup:

Edited by Emehr

I was kind of under the impression that they're clearing them out. I don't recall any signs that said "sale". As much as we all love the Colecovisions and Intellivisions, they are a pretty niche item these days. I could be wrong though.

As for the emulation, it seems pretty spot on.

The Flashback units themselves feel like empty shells. The electronics could probably fit into something the size of the controller they come with!

I think the quality of the emulation is just okay. Both the Inty and the Coleco seem to have issues with certains sounds.

I also agree that the units feel _too_ lightweight. I've thought of opening up the shells and zip-strapping in some washers or other weights just to give them a bit more heft.

I think the quality of the emulation is just okay. Both the Inty and the Coleco seem to have issues with certains sounds.

I also agree that the units feel _too_ lightweight. I've thought of opening up the shells and zip-strapping in some washers or other weights just to give them a bit more heft.

There are downsides to that. The more weight you add the easier the case will crack or shatter when it falls.

If they're already being cleared out at $20, is this a sign that they sold well in this is just the expected end of the run or is this a premature end? If it is the latter, then we might not see the Flashback 2 or we might not see controllers sold separately (hopefully not the case).

All products, even the best sellers, hit clearance eventually. Stuff like this is intended to sell only during a single Xmas season anyway, so it's no surprise to see it on clearance now.

Agreed. This will have no bearing on whether a second Flashback will be released with the potentially better wired controllers.

As for now, if you want extra controllers pick one up for $20. anywhere you can, I bet you will never see it out there for less than that. That is probably close to whatever price the retailer paid for it themselves.

I ordered a Colecovision FB from bed bath and beyond's .CA web site. It was $50 Cnd (about $40US) plus $10 shipping. I searched a lot, and that was the best price I could find. We need some of those Dollar General and Sams Club stores up here!