IGNORED

Doctor Who Berzerk w/Speech

iesposta

I'll do my best to include AtariVox+ when I can in games. "thumbsup"

Lots of the early games and pinball featured speech as a gimmick, and as 8-11 year old kids we were amazed!

(Even if we couldn't understand what Wizard of Wor was saying most of the time, it was talking!)

(Add to that the arcade Bagman spoke only in French, even when set to English, and we wondered what they guy was saying.)

If you can play "Man Goes Down" with an AtariVox, you'll instantly understand how much it can add to a game.

Nobody wanted to play find what's new and improved.

So I'll tell you. And then give a tease of what is to come.

In the posted build, the title / selection screen has new music.

The enemies have been made taller, where originally taller caused glitching.

In a not yet posted build there are many fun changes!

Some you can see in the screen shot below.

No black lines on the left!

You can choose to have enemies also shoot diagonally (or choose original enemy shooting, or no enemy shooting).

Garbage in score area when enemy bounces at the bottom has been fixed.

Copyright symbol added.

Fatal crashing found and fixed.

med_gallery_29575_1164_7556.jpg

So what else can you think of adding?

More than 4 mazes?

Intermission screen with tardis after so many mazes?

Mazes change color?

can I make a few small beta testing comments

I feel Dr Who him self travels around the board to slow

Also

Evil Otto as I know him as. travels way too fast

there is absolutely no escaping him

Speeding up the Dr is a great idea!

As to Evil Otto, you can escape him by shooting him.

The original game has 3 behavior settings: 1. Off, 2. Rebound, 3. Invincible

Off being easiest. Rebound means you can shoot it, but it comes back, and of course Invincible means you need to get near an exit and be ready to exit when it comes out.

This version adds a new 4th option!

If Cyberman is set to YES, and Rebound and Invincible are set to NO, then it comes out and chases you, but shooting it takes it out and it does not come back.

Cyberman is supposed to be fast and terrifying, but the options of Off, Shoot it gone for good, and Shoot it but it comes back, or Invincible you should be able to increase the difficulty as you get better at playing.

Thanks for feedback, it is much appreciated.

Thanks for clarifying how to set cyberman

I had a great play with the game and speeding up dr who would defo make the game more enjoyable as right now its just feel like a chore to go to where you want to go

and it hurts my hand due to my natural instinct of thing the more I push the joystick the faster he will move.... lol

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool. Evil Otto is still a bit fast. I can get away from him when traveling through the vertical exits. Heading toward the horizontal exits he usually gets me.

Cyberman evil otto is supposed to be faster its just he was WAY TOO FAST before. one important thing to mention on this and Cyberman is he comes out tooo FAST, in original berserk 2600 you get enough chance to clear the board before evil otto comes out

here cyber man comes out pretty much within a few seconds of play per board

I reckon about 10 seconds would be an ideal time to delay cyberman from appearing

The player moves really fast now.

it will be a shock at first, but it will grow on you.

It is so different moving fast it feels like an entirely different game.

I had had a setback where my RetroPie lost its theming, so I've been at work on that, plus trying to get Dragon's Lair playing, and Atari 7800 playing through Emulation Station. I can run AdvMESS a7800 from the command line, but the Emulation Station front end is proving difficult to run Atari 7800.

We keep thinking of cool improvements.

One new thing that is in is that it doesn't change total scanlines when talking, so projectors and some TVs won't lose sync, and CRT's will not roll.

• Like 2

Cyberman evil otto is supposed to be faster its just he was WAY TOO FAST before. one important thing to mention on this and Cyberman is he comes out tooo FAST, in original berserk 2600 you get enough chance to clear the board before evil otto comes out

here cyber man comes out pretty much within a few seconds of play per board

I reckon about 10 seconds would be an ideal time to delay cyberman from appearing

He is way too fast still.......

The player moves really fast now.

it will be a shock at first, but it will grow on you.

It is so different moving fast it feels like an entirely different game.

I like the player speed now!

New build in post #1.

Faster player!

Choose enemy shots off, on normal, or diagonal!

Starting AtariVox support. Turn on/off with Difficulty Player 2 switch. Says 1 of 2 things every fire press.

Suggest phrases to say when events occur, like when Cyberman appears, player dies, etc.

Developers submit your speech strings, and try to make a British accent.

Other under-the-hood changes, like speech samples don't roll TV or lose sync, No Black Lines on left!!

been real busy and only got a chance to play it

a few things to mention

first one: I didn't hear any VOX audio, where was it added so I can listen out for it

Second: im lucky I have an NTSC machine but will a PAL version be available

AND

Thirdly: Major BUG

Now I don't know if you actually added this but if you did remove it as its really annoying

The Darlek when moving are jumping across the screen I think its a glitch and a major one at that. its like they teleport a short distance one min they are a few steps away from you and the next they are in front or behind you and sometimes they teleport and reappear right on you and kill you

The Vox only says "Timelord" or "Care for a Jellybaby" or silent every button press when Difficulty Switch Player 2 is on A/Expert. Just preliminary testing.

The original has an easy compile flag for NTSC or PAL , however I assume that was for PAL 50. I'm fairly confident Omegamatrix can get a PAL version.

No, there shouldn't be any teleporting. I have not seen this. Sometimes at the start the Dalek is so close you die just trying to move or shoot, but they should move the same as the Berzerk robots.

Thanks for the report.

been real busy and only got a chance to play it

a few things to mention

first one: I didn't hear any VOX audio, where was it added so I can listen out for it

Second: im lucky I have an NTSC machine but will a PAL version be available

AND

Thirdly: Major BUG

Now I don't know if you actually added this but if you did remove it as its really annoying

The Darlek when moving are jumping across the screen I think its a glitch and a major one at that. its like they teleport a short distance one min they are a few steps away from you and the next they are in front or behind you and sometimes they teleport and reappear right on you and kill you

1) The difficulty switch closest to the Atarivox enables/disables it. We haven't implemented much for the vox yet... just trying to get it up and running at this point. If anyone has some ideas for phrases please share them and we'll see what we can do.

2) A PAL60 version will be available for sure. A straight up PAL version would require at least the title screen music and speech samples reworked. Right now the focus is more on implementing everything we want to. PAL60 for sure though, at some point.

3) We are not experiencing this bug on real hardware at all. Could you post a video? What type of console are you using? If it is a Atari Jr, are you sure it is NTSC and not PAL?

Ah that's what it is I had mine set to B

cool that's what I wanted is a PAL60 version

here is a video I made

shows the teleport glitch and its defo not my console as I used the same one for the previous build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlrvswSNTXE

not sure how to embed videos on this forum sorry

I do love the idea of being able to select weather the darleks shoot in 4 way or 8 way thast awesome

makes the game more challenging

Edited by silverfox0786
  • Like 1

here is a video I made shows the teleport glitch and its defo not my console as I used the same one for the previous build

I don't see any HMOVE lines, I suspect the reposition was redone to use CYCLE 73/74 HMOVE. Based on the Atari VCS/2600 TIA chips page over at 2600 Connect, which lists the known TIA variations, I bet your Junior was built in China.

Version 10 is found in 2600 "JR" consoles (both NTSC and PAL) that are made in China after late 1989. The signal timing in the TIA for the shifting pulses for the movable objects seems to be a little off from older versions of the TIA. Therefore when a game starts the shifting process in such a way that some of the shifting pulses happen during the visible part of the screen, the movable objects might be positioned slightly differently. This affects all PAL 7800 consoles, too.

If that's the case, the objects in Stay Frosty 2 will most likely jump around as well. You can try the SF2 demo via your Harmony cart.