IGNORED

HDMI for the TI

Omega-TI

<< THIS GADGET >>

turned up on another part of Atari Age. It'll let you convert your TI's F18A output into HDMI... and even combine the audio & video together.

At first I didn't see a need for it, until the guy told me that many of the newer TV's coming out - no longer have VGA connectors -. Also I got to thinking, maybe our European friends could use it too.

Anyway I thought it was neat, so decided to share...

61MRemyvH1L._SL1040_.jpg

• Like 2

A little more clarification...

maxresdefault.jpg

You might have a 'few cables' at the back of your TI... but only one going to the TV.

From the looks of what it comes with, you'll probably want to replace the original RF cable with a really short female audio connector wired up to split the TI's audio into two stereo channels.

415FhU8m77L._SY450_.jpg

• Like 2

Does HDMI include an analog channel? I wonder how it is possible to convert an analog VGA signal to a digital data stream as required by DVI-D or HDMI.

No. It actually samples the signals and outputs digital. FYI, those HammerHeads are really damn good. I resell Sewell stuff and I have outfitted numerous installations with equipment like this, including a site where we went all digital and needed easy access for analog equipment. Never been disappointed (except that they discontinued pretty much all of the video scalers.)

You would most likely need to power it with the USB cable as I doubt the F18A's VGA port delivers any power. Though it can power itself from HDMI if available.

• Like 2

One could get a USB extension cable, hack off the male end and then tap the required 5v off of the consoles internal power supply.

Drill a small hole, make a knot in it so it will not come out any further than you want and you're good to go.

- OR -

The whole shooting match MIGHT be able to fit INTERNALLY in the TI. Power, F18A connection and audio all between the 'clam shell' and case... then you just need the HDMI port... that would be pretty slick looking.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

With the new FlashROM 99 and JediMatt's new plug-in 32K project around the corner, the era of the small footprint TI console is just around the corner. Who knows, by next year we might even have an RS-232 device or even a WIFI capable side-car device. But as this era approaches, many of the newer TV's no longer have a VGA port (as I found out myself yesterday). I thought it might be a good idea to re-visit this thread before all the remaining gadgets << like these >> disappear.

I'm imagining a new project -- A single TI console, not taking up much space, but with full memory, hooked up to the big screen TV via a single HDMI cable. Maybe someday this small footprint TI will also be able to communicate, without wires, over the home network to the HDX server on the PC.

Another power solution is to use USB port on the HDTV to power the device. As most newer HDTV's have both HDMI and USB connections.

Wrong end. The Hammerhead sits at the VGA device, so unless you are close... however, HDMI carries power. Some HDMI devices are line-powered, and a lot are not. Boggles my mind sometimes.

However, I have a wireless HDMI setup at my office. The receiver is USB-powered and I use the USB port on the TV to power the receiver, which works very well.

To that end, these are AWESOME:

Wireless HDMI Transmitter and Receiver Kit

And you can get them here (another highly recommended vendor):

IOGEAR Wireless HDMI Transmitter and Receiver Kit

5GHz wireless HDMI. The receiver supports up to four transmitters plus one local input. I have not yet tested for range, but in my office they work amazingly well without any perceptible delays between the audio from the computers and the video on the TV. At 5GHz, you are above the congestion of the over-used 2.4GHz wireless spectrum. The only complaint I have, and it may actually be the TV, is how long it takes to switch inputs (15~30 seconds,) but I see that as an acceptable annoyance given the functionality gained.

I still have a 32" CRT TV, and when the time comes to replace it I will be getting a projector and will use this kit to maintain my cluster of entertainment equipment on one side of the room and the projector on the wall opposite (or wherever.)

The biggest plus about this kit versus other wireless HDMI is that it uses a real HDMI input, not a USB transmitter which requires drivers paired with an HDMI receiver. I actually tried one of the IOgear wireless USB/HDMI video kits and performance was horrible. Like almost every USB video device it uses the DisplayLink driver set.

Another kit I recommend is the Gefen wirelesss HDMI. It is pricey, but works damn well. I deployed one of these at a church and it works fantastic. I am pretty certain the kit I deployed is a discontinued 2.4GHz set while this is 5Ghz, so I may have to give a YMMV warning.

Gefen Short-Range 5GHz Wireless Extender System for HDMI (33', US)

Available with a long-range transmitter:

Gefen Long-Range 5GHz Wireless Transmitter for HDMI (100', EU)

And, holy crap, looks like IOgear is coming out with a ridiculous long-range kit

IOGEAR Ultra Long Range Wireless HDMI Transmitter and Receiver Kit

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried one of these with my TI & F18A last night. It worked really well, and a bunch cheaper than the hammerhead.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4W62R4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think I'll stuff it inside the console, but it does simplify my life, in that all my machines are on one HDMI switchbox.

-M@

• Like 1

I tried one of these with my TI & F18A last night. It worked really well, and a bunch cheaper than the hammerhead.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4W62R4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think I'll stuff it inside the console, but it does simplify my life, in that all my machines are on one HDMI switchbox.

-M@

Very cool... and I like the price. I have a couple of questions Matt...

1. Does it scale the output?

2. I read that there is some loss, is it really that noticeable?

3. Could you please take a photo for us?

This will probably be "the ticket" for most of us, thanks for bringing it to our attention. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :twisted:

Very cool... and I like the price. I have a couple of questions Matt...

1. Does it scale the output?

2. I read that there is some loss, is it really that noticeable?

3. Could you please take a photo for us?

This will probably be "the ticket" for most of us, thanks for bringing it to our attention. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :twisted:

My TV says it is getting a 640x480 HDMI signal. So, no scaling in the little device.

I didn't notice any loss yet... I played a few rounds of Parsec and Midnight Mason, and everything looked very sharp. People reporting loss might have been working with more powerful sources than our friendly TI.

The 80 column mode looked good too.

I'll try and shoot some video when I get a chance.

-M@

• Like 1

-M@

What is the power source?

Never mind. I see the USB connector in another product photo.

Omega asked for video: https://goo.gl/photos/66hTc7pumXu5uxCf7

Here is a variety of action games... The angle is a little low, 'cellphone cam from desktop', but I think it shows the image is sharp and I don't see any loss...

parsec lazer fire is basically the fastest animation in any TI game I know of, and it looks the same to me. at about 14 minutes into the video.

-M@

• Like 3

Okay Matt, your video sold me. I just bought << this one >> on eBay and will squirrel it away for another day. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

Oh, nice, after shipping ( unless you are an 'amazon prime' user ) the ebay item ends up being cheaper even though the sticker price is otherwise a tad bit higher.

• Like 1