IGNORED

What size TV do you play your Atari & retro games on?

sloth-machine

27" CRT. I grew up playing on either a 25" or 27", so it's retro enough for me.

Inputs range from RF-Composite-SVideo-Component, so games can be as sharp or fuzzy as I like them to be.

Only problem at all is the flat glass screen, so SMS lightgun stuff doesn't line up properly.

32" CRT. None of my systems are modded, and I use composite hookups, except for the VCS of course, but I did replace the RCA cable and use a gold RCA-to-RF connector.

To be honest, I see barely any difference between composite and RF regarding sharpness or color-bleeding, however I use composite because it picks up less random noise, or rather not-so-random noise (because I can identify it) such as wireless phones and the microwave.

Looking into getting a VGA box to hook my Dreamcast up to my 60" Plasma.

Off Topic: Interesting note, regarding the 'gold' connectors... I'm studying to be an Electrician and have learned that copper IS a better conductor than gold! The benefit to using gold is it doesn't oxidize or break down as easy copper can over time/exposure to the elements.

Edited by Torr

To be honest, I see barely any difference between composite and RF regarding sharpness or color-bleeding, however I use composite because it picks up less random noise, or rather not-so-random noise (because I can identify it)

Yep, same here. Not a huge difference between my av mod Atari and my RF Atari. It helps a bit for games with smaller thinner pixels, like the bullets in Space Invaders.

13" and 27" CRTs. I mostly only use my 42" LCD for movies and Netflix, although my XEGS is currently hooked up to it...haven't played it in months, though.

CRT is definitely the way to go for retro. LCD is kind of a crapshoot; some games look pretty good on it, others look horrible. Plus (really, minus) you can't use light guns. So that's why I still keep a bunch of CRTs, although some of them are starting to give out on me.

Of all the times when bigger is not better, this has got to be the prime example.

I use a 57-inch LCD for everything - Atari (finally got a real 2600!), PC, and of course TV watching. The screen delay is noticeable, and I'd be dead meat if I ever tried anything like Counterstrike...although that's a dual issue, the screen delay and the age-related brain delay :P Plus, Atari games just aren't meant to be stretched to that size. I bet something in the 30-inch range would work better.

• Like 1

Sony Trinitrons are some of the best CRTs out there. I have one of the first Sony Trinitron portable color TV's from 1970 and the picture is still pretty damn good. Although you really need to fiddle with it to get the picture just right. If I ever get a PONG console, I'll hook it up to that. :)

• Like 1

I was using 40" LED for Atari 2600 and C64 via RF (antenna)* and via AV cables for NES (and Pegasus famiclone). Bastards from Samsung didn't implement S-Video...

NES didn't bother me, as AV is the only way to hook it up, excluding expensive mods, but with Atari and C64, I really wanted to improve that. I managed to get a Commodore 1084S monitor (around 13") last year, so C64 was sorted out instantly. With Atari I've modded it to S-video in the last days of the previous year and I am using all of my machines on a Commodore monitor now. Can't imagine I could ever get back to LCD/LED or a screen bigger than some 23".

Whether it's the lack of delay or more about smaller screen making it easier to follow objects on the screen with one's eyes, I've noticed a significant improvement in my scores. I'm an average gamer at best and on that goddamn huge panel my best in Seaquest was something about 45k. I love that game and was obsessed about beating 50k (badge score), but just couldn't. Everything was zipping by real fast and it was a real struggle to watch the "motion-blurred" action. On 1084 I'm easily getting over 100k on the first run, so I think that speaks for itself!

Plus, nothing really beats CRT when it comes to low-res images. It's not that aparent on VCS, but many C64 games and a lot of demos use dithering heavily, to produce nice smooth transitions on a tube, looking almost as if the palette was bigger. Same for Amiga and pretty much everything untill PS2. On LCD, it's just sharp square pixels everywhere, looking like zoom x8 in MS Paint, eww.

For anyone not convinced, here's a very good material presenting the difference in picture between tubes and LCDs (skip to around 5:30):

*With a well shielded RF cable there were no interference patterns whatsoever and the "comb/checkerboard" effect on vertical lines was much less noticable than on AV cables.

Edited by Mef

Most of my retro systems are hooked up to a 27" (I think) Zenith that I bought in 1988. It also plays PAL games without rolling so that's pretty cool. I have a Vic 20 and a C-64 hooked up to a Commodore 1702 monitor (actually two monitors). We play our Flashbacks and Retron 5 on a 48" LCD.