IGNORED

What size TV do you play your Atari & retro games on?

sloth-machine

I use a couple 14" Commodore 1084 monitors:

• 1084 - set up with Composite switch-box for my ColecoVision, Sega Nomad, Vic 20 and Commodore 128
  • 1084S - set up with an S-Video switch-box for has my Atari 2600 and Amiga CD32. The S model features stereo sound.

1084 (all photos taken at the Houston Arcade Expo)

post-3056-0-47876700-1422281382_thumb.jpg

1084S

post-3056-0-21866300-1422281394_thumb.jpg

I also have a few small old TVs that are normally stashed in the closet. I pull them down for the Houston Arcade Expo, or if I'm in the mood to play my 7800 (still need to get it modded for composite and S-Video):

13" RCA

post-3056-0-33437300-1422281369_thumb.jpg

14" Magnavox

post-3056-0-94704700-1422281405_thumb.jpg

13" Orion

post-3056-0-80558200-1422281417_thumb.jpg

There's also the Vectrex, which has a built in 9" display:

post-3056-0-26875700-1422281430_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

40" Sony Bravia HD TV for the 2600...sits right above the Wii U. I use the RF connection and the picture looks good. I am sure it would look even better with an A/V mod, but the RF antenna input is good enough for me. I also have the NES on this 40".

I am planning on getting a 7800 and will be hooking it up to the RF in my 55" Panasonic plasma downstairs. Hopefully the RF hook up for the 7800 will work good on the plasma...I guess I could try out my Atari Pong unit to see how well that plays through the RF antenna.

• 4 weeks later...

20" LCD through S-Video (though I'm trying to figure out how I can get a 20" CRT stuffed into my cabinet ;-) ).

I have a 40" LCD for my XBOX 360 and WII, but don't like the 2600 or NES / SNES WII emulator on it. There's something about the smaller screen that brings back memories (both visual and muscle) that the larger screen just can't capture!

I never miss a chance to gush about my lovely 32" NetTV CRT. It plays my Atari games and my old 1970's TV shows beautifully, haha!

I can add, in response to some above comments, that in my area as well (southeast Tennessee) the Goodwill stores have ceased taking CRT TV sets. I tried to unload four of them over the holidays, now they are in the backyard covered in snow.

I run everything off my low input lag 42' LEDTV however by everything i mean everything emulated though PC via DVDI-VGA input. I stopped dedicated collecting and chose emulation a couple years ago after finding the right TV to run my PC on for gaming. Unfortunitally my job, Mrs and not enough room in the house makes it a little tricky to have a games room, Mrs isnt a gamer like myself. Still got my systems in storage though. Must say i preffer it in a way as it makes the house look a bit nicer and neat when people come around.

With Stella and a few other great emulators im like a pig in s#!t with how they run and quality on the large screen. Im picky when it comes to accuarcy and quality so emulator aspect correction and maybe a filter or two are, by far my choice on a modern TV rather then original hardware. Other then that if TV isnt free i play them on the laptop, like i have been for this season of 2600HSC :(

Original hardware and a trusty old CRT is the best experiance but for this day and age and where life is at emulation suites me fine.

Right now I am using my 19 inch, LCD Toshiba DVD combination set to 4.3 mode. Does ok. I have some older CRT sets that I need to fiddle with, but I have a 1973 Zenith color console set with the 23 inch CRT that I hope to get rebuilt and use someday. Mostly tubes with some socketed transistors on a metal, hand-wired chassis baby!

I use a 42" Insignia LED/LCD for all my systems retro and modern. All of my primary retro systems are AV modded with either composite or s-vid with the exception of my Intellivision as those still look pretty good through the RF. The Genesis was by far the worst offender on RF and composite on this LCD though, which is what prompted me to start AV modding all of my consoles in the first place.