IGNORED

HSC12 Welcome and Games List

Welcome to Season 12 of the High Score Club :party:

If you missed the start, just join in! You can post scores for any missed rounds :)

Still time to join in the Season 12 discussion thread on the main forum. I've taken on board some of the feedback and we will generally have less games this season; 1-2 per 2 week round depending on their involvement. For those who want to play more I will run some other special rounds and tournaments along side, more on that as we go. All Season 12 posts will be prefixed by "HSC12".

Scoring remains 12 points for a win down to 1pt for 12th place. Additional places increasing scoring from 4th place (9pts) downwards :-o no need to worry about this as I'll fiddle things as usual :-D

Polls return to 5 games with a single vote each, with the runner up going into the next poll. Usually at that stage we can identify games that are flawed; Tapper - scoring, O'Rileys Mine - gets easier, or are not NTSC compatible - sadly the superb Zone X, and come to some workaround. We will usually avoid games played last season. If you are an active player you are more likely to see your suggestions in the poll ;)

Rounds will usually start and end Sunday Mornings (10am) UK time

The season will end sometime next January but we will now break the season into two halves with separate tables for each. Perhaps one multigame round in July and at the end of season.

Suggest games to play on this thread. You can suggest them each round or list a bunch right off, or both. I'll keep the 2nd post updated with a combined list. Checkout the Ratings and Records for some inspiration.

Well start things going next weekend, so polish your spaceships, set your guns to stun, lace up those jumping boots... ok just make sure you have a good joystick or two :P

New players check out the Beginners Guide

Any questions just ask :)

trbb

Edited by therealbountybob

List of games that have been voted on (will be updated throughout the season)

These games were runner ups but did not make it, but will appear again

World Karate Championship (IK/IK EE)

Nuclear Nick

These games have been in the vote and did not make it but will probably appear again

Assembloids XE

Encounter

Pooyan

Ransack

Mr Robot and his Robot Factory

Twerps

Death Chase XE

RGB

Rolltris/Thetris

Perplexity

These games had 1 or no votes and are less likely to appear again (or may appear in a special round poll!)

Gauntlet (Gauntletak)

Bubble Trouble

My suggestion is to give bit more space to new games. ABBUC finalists (at least top 5 games) should secure their places in HSC automatically right after the release (no pools for these games so we dont have to choose between games like RGB and Millipede for instance:)). This way we will support creators of these games, stay bit more in touch with community in main forum and give these great titles a proper testing:). Well, this suggestion is rather for the second part of the season. In the first part of the season would be nice to see some great games from ABBUC 2014.

We'll retain the mix of old and new but there will be some other non HSC rounds to cover some other stuff... yes plans are afoot ;) If we get lots of new players then we can have more options. I did consider a having new and old picks but where do you draw the line... ...Qix :D

No games suggested so far so here goes:

Some not played in the HSC before

Bug Off Attack - superb centipede style game

Tank Commander - excellent arcade game yes it's not a war/strategy game so you'd bettter all vote for it :grin:

Mr TNT - probably more of a bonus game

Whilinurd - needs a serious playing

Bug Off - a real killer

Shamus Case II 8)

Classics

Donkey Kong

Pole Position

Millipede

Ports

Frisky Tom - classic single screen game, you might think it tricky at first but it's really good.

New Stuff

RGB think this is ok on NTSC too

Very New Stuff

Ramp Rage :-o soonish... aRRRGH just re-written the movement routine but still not quite happy with it :twisted:

Looking forward to the new season! Hope I can make every round this year...

A few suggestions (of my own, or seconding other's ideas):

River Raid

Joust

Pole Position

Defender / Stargate

Millipede

Xagon

Rolltris / Thetris

Assembloids XE

Dr. Mario

Qb

Clowns and Balloons

Getaway!

Fort Apocolypse

Tricky Tracks

Whatever happens, it'll be fun. I've been introduced to more than a few new-to-me 'favorites' playing the HSC the last few years.

Edited by adam242
  • Like 2

Let's see. Some of my faves:

• Bristles
  • Bruce Lee
  • Canyon Climber
  • Cosmic Tunnels
  • Encounter!
  • Great American Cross-Country Road Race
  • H.E.R.O.
  • Hot Lips
  • Ixion
  • Kennedy Approach
  • Lode Runner
  • Montezuma's Revenge
  • Moon Shuttle
  • Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory
  • Preppie!
  • Quasimodo
  • River Raid
  • Serpentine
  • Snokie
  • Zeppelin (of course I don't know if a proper version of this even exists, but man did I like what I could play).
  • Like 1

I'm in...

- Donkey Kong (Score)

- Pooyan (Score)

- Joust (Score)

- Zaxxon (Score)

- Goonies (Timed)

- Conan (Timed)

- World Karate Champioship (Score)

- Summer Games (By Event, Score)

- Ball Blazer (Hardest, Timed)

- Karateka (Timed)

- Track 'n Field (By Event, Score)

- Yoomp! (Score)

- Assembloids (Score)

- Mario Bros. (Score)

- Donkey Kong Jr. (Score)

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 1

Personally I'd love to play Dropzone again. It is the ultimate arcade-quality blaster on the 8-bits. Problem is that anything I play with have to be on emulator and that's not really a viable game for keyboard-only emulation.

To be in with a shout in many of the games suggested so far, I'd have to dig out an Atari from the garage and get a MaxFlash or similar.

Hmmm ... Do any of the emulators support the Xbox 360 controller? I have a 360 controller receiver for the PC.

Personally I'd love to play Dropzone again. It is the ultimate arcade-quality blaster on the 8-bits. Problem is that anything I play with have to be on emulator and that's not really a viable game for keyboard-only emulation.

To be in with a shout in many of the games suggested so far, I'd have to dig out an Atari from the garage and get a MaxFlash or similar.

Hmmm ... Do any of the emulators support the Xbox 360 controller? I have a 360 controller receiver for the PC.

Head to the garage double quick!

Great suggestions everyone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll put the poll on later today and we'll start up on Sunday or earlier if we have a clear winner... I'm still trying to round up a few more players, it's like hunting the mountain wampus on turn 12 :-D

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps every so often a poll can be for newer titles only, say games made since 2000. At most it could be every 5th poll, at least every 10th. There are so many excellent newer titles to explore.

I always like to get a few new games in but it's good to start the season with a few classics that everyone knows to get things up and running (and they work on NTSC etc). I'll be starting a special round up soon too featuring a new game ;)