IGNORED

Dreamcast VGA Box Alternative?

Torr

I was looking for a Dreamcast VGA Box on eBay and came across something I'd never seen or heard of before.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Dreamcast-High-Definition-VGA-Cable-/371137347570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5669827ff2

I found MANY of these coming from Hong Kong/China and I find it hard to trust anything from there, but then I saw quite a few like the one I linked to above from the US.

Now obviously that doesn't mean it originates from a flawless manufacturer. To be clear, I'm mainly curious about quality.

Does anyone here have any experience with these?

Do these work as well as the traditional VGA Box?

I must say I have high hopes for this because it seems like a less cluttered way to hook up a Dreamcast with VGA.

Plus, on a side note, asking people with experience;

I'll be hooking my Dreamcast up to a 60" Plasma. I have tried using the traditional composite cables, but of course it looks awful.

Will using a VGA box (or this cable) be a vast improvement in picture quality or will it just be better, but still not great?

Would I be better off hooking it up to an older CRT VGA computer monitor?

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

I have one. It's fine.

As far as picture quality on your 60", it will still look pretty terrible because the VGA cable isn't upscaling the image. It will naturally be clearer than composite, but polygonal games in particular are still going to look like blurry messes. 2D games fare better and the blocky pixels are nice and rigid for the most part.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

If you're interested in the best quality DC visuals you can get, emulation will probably serve you the best. NullDC is probably the best emulator and just about every Dreamcast game will run on a toaster. Load it up, hook your pc up to your tv, and enjoy your dreamcast games in glorious HD.

• Like 1

I was looking for a Dreamcast VGA Box on eBay and came across something I'd never seen or heard of before.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Dreamcast-High-Definition-VGA-Cable-/371137347570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5669827ff2

I have the cable pictured in that listing, and I'm very happy with them. I played Dynamite Cop on my Dreamcast last night and was impressed with how crisp everything looked compared to my old composite cable. However, my Dreamcast is hooked up to a 32" LCD, which is obviously significantly smaller than the TV you'll be using.

Well I have it ordered. I went with one from Hong Kong because it was MUCH cheaper... I'll probably be waiting a while for it to be delivered, but oh well...

I WANT to hook it up to my 60", but I understand, that without true HDMI, things just get stretched TOO much, so I'll be understanding if it still doesn't look AWESOME, but I also have a a 24" BenQ (RL2455) that I will probably end up using mainly. It SHOULD look good on that.