Beitrag/Entry #25: Cemetry Chase

Platform: Atari

Author: Yoda Zhang

Language: Turbobasic XL

Category: PUR

post-41220-0-26447900-1427154738_thumb.png

CEMETRY CHASE

by Yoda Zhang
It's night time at the cemetry. Go there and steal all the gold.
The spirits of the dead are chasing you. Stepping into a tombstone
or touching the ghost will end the game.
Joystick to move your scared eyes.
When the game is over, press any key to play again.
Tip: Get rid of some tombstones by luring the ghost to run over them.
Features:
- Redefined Characterset with animation
- Titlescreen
- Score and Highscore
- Sound effects
- Two-voice background-music
Edited by apemaster
  • Like 3

Title: Ringtoss

Platform: Atari

Author: Bill Kendrick

Language: Turbobasic XL

Category: PUR

A friend of mine posted a photo of a Tomy "Waterful Ring Toss" game on my Facebook page, which contained the phrase "You are not a hardcore gamer until you are able to win this." I decided to make it into a game for this year's NOMAM competition!

Press one of the console keys (Start, Select or Option) to push water from the lower left corner of the game, which causes the rings (colored "O" shapes) to move up and away from that position. Try to get them to land on the pins (yellow "I" shapes).

Once all four rings are on the posts, the game ends and your final score is shown. It's an anti-score — the lower the number, the better you did. (It's basically a value representing how long it took you to complete the game. A higher number means you took a long time :-) )

Hint: The longer you wait before pressing the button, the more power you'll have behind your push. Also, if you hold the button down longer, more water will be pushed out (until you run out of power). In other words, it acts very similar to the water-pumping button on the real game.

ringtoss.png
PS - This game is as annoying to play as how I remember the real games with water. :P
Edited by billkendrick
  • Like 2

As I hated being unable to edit extra-long lines entered on my Atari using abbreviations, I thought about writing a short utility to make using long lines easier.

What was to have been a "quick and dirty" hack turned out to be rather "slow and dirty" as it took me several days to actually get it to work. I managed to confuse pointers, offsets and values quite a lot.

The utility asks for a source and destination file name and then loads the BASIC program header to find out the program size. It then DIMs a string accordingly and uses a CIO call to block load the whole program into the string. It then scans the program line by line and whenever it finds an even line number followed by an odd line number it tries to attach the odd line to the even line. This works for as many odd lines as will fit into the maximum allowed logical line length of 256 bytes. If the combined line length would exceed 256 the buzzer sounds and the offending odd line is left "as is". The scan continues and any further even-odd line combinations are treated the same. At the end the string is saved to the destination file using another CIO block save. I half-heartedly tried to use the program to reduce itself to ten lines but that would have required lots of changes to the loop structure, ruining the 1980s-style GOTO maze ;)

During the program run the line count, line number and final line size are shown.

Combining lines will save 3 bytes, i.e. two lines combined use 3 bytes less than two separate lines (this is the line header of the second line).

I have done cursory testing only and while it seems to work I assume no responsibility whatsoever for the results - unless the result is a winning "Extreme Category" 10-liner game in which case I'd love to be credited in the post-ceremony interviews ;)

While this is mostly a lame excuse for procrastinating with a 10-liner idea probably too hard to implement with my skills, I prefer to see it as a tool that will make the choice of "Pure" or "Extreme" Category a matter of style rather than arcane knowledge :grin:

Programming notes:

While I love to have a vintage computer where every little bit of documentation is available on the web and loved to read the BASIC Source book as a teenager, I found it to be slightly inaccurate regarding the coding of basic lines. In "Memory usage" the author states that lines end with an "end of statement" and "end of line" token while actual basic uses "end of line" only. The Offset to the first line ("DST") seems to be calculated from the beginning of part 2 rather than the end of part 1 as I had to use a +14 rather than +14 offset to hit the right spot. Any feedback on this is welcome.

I first tried to use simple get/put with two files open but soon switched to the string method. GET/PUT would have allowed for file size limited by disk space only, it would have been quite unwieldy and required a "line buffer" as the line length can only be written to byte 3 of the line once all odd lines have been added. It should be possible to improve speed by PEEKing and POKEing into the string rather than using the ASC and CHR$ commands (but since the main target is the 10-liners competition programs, speed is not really an issue).

A cursory look at the code will show that it's not very refined. The CIO block load/save is copied almost verbatim from De Re Atari and the remainder of the program could certainly be polished and simplified a lot. As it's 3 AM here and there's a real 10-liner awaiting me with only a week to go, I leave it as it is.

Have Fun!

SLXpress.atr

Edited by slx
  • Like 4

One more note of caution: SLXpress does not check for "lost" GOTOs, GOSUBs, etc. If your program contains a GOTO/GOSUB to an odd numbered line that gets attached to the preceding line(s), you have to take care of renumbering (and of course the logic behind the program flow) yourself.

Hi!,

This is my entry for this year competition "Carrera 3D", in the "PUR" category (lines of less than 120 characters), written in TurboBASIC XL.

post-18634-0-96213000-1428209214_thumb.png

The program code is shown here:

post-18634-0-84216400-1428209277_thumb.png

Press any key to start a new game, steer your car with the joystick to avoid going out of the track. The score is the distance traveled in a fixed amount of time.

Do I need to send an ATR with the game, or the .LST is enough?

carrera3d.zip

Edited by dmsc
  • Like 5

This is my entry for this year competition "Carrera 3D", in the "PUR" category (lines of less than 120 characters), written in TurboBASIC XL.

<snip>

Do I need to send an ATR with the game, or the .LST is enough?

Wow nice work! Here's a bootable ATR (using MyDOS and TBXL). To folks testing it, note that it spends a bit of time at the beginning doing some graphical setup, before the game screen appears. (In Atari800 emu, I can just hit F12 to go into turbo mode.)

carrera3d.atr

• Like 1

Cool! I have seen some racers as a TenLiner, but this is looking fantastic!

... and I made a little change: The car in this version drifts to the outside of the curve. (A carrera normally does not have so much oversteering, to drift to the inside, right?). This just feels better :)

carrera3d_v2.atr

• Like 1

Hi!

Cool! I have seen some racers as a TenLiner, but this is looking fantastic!

... and I made a little change: The car in this version drifts to the outside of the curve. (A carrera normally does not have so much oversteering, to drift to the inside, right?). This just feels better :)

Thanks for the tip.... I switched the directions and didn't notice :-)

I have an updated version with:

- Fixed drift direction (thanks to 1NG)

- Pressing the joystick button activates a brake, use it to take the curves.

- Added a graphical indicator of the position in the track. The race still ends on a fixed time.

This is the new screenshot:

post-18634-0-95829500-1428372630_thumb.png

And this is the source:

post-18634-0-81597000-1428372647_thumb.png

Also, I attached an ATR with the run-able game (thanks billkendrick).

carrera3d.zip

carrera3d.atr

• Like 4

I have an updated version with:

- Fixed drift direction (thanks to 1NG)

- Pressing the joystick button activates a brake, use it to take the curves.

- Added a graphical indicator of the position in the track. The race still ends on a fixed time.

OK, I give up now :)))))))))))

This is brilliant!

pirx

• Like 1

This game is lame.

I waited until the last day to think about creating something — but I had to submit something because of a challenge Randy put to me on the ANTIC podcast. I know this game is terrible — but I don't think he'll submit anything, so I'll win his challenge by default.

So, I give you: Procrastination.

Hit a key before the >>>s overwrite the *. The longer you wait, the higher your score. Wait too long and you get zero.

post-803-0-70423900-1428464889_thumb.png

procrastination.atr

• Like 3