IGNORED

The Bard's Tale IV

cimerians

This single player PC-centric installment won't be a complete throwback-style game like Wasteland 2, and instead The Bard's Tale 4 will attempt to modernize and revitalize the genre

The game will feature modern day approaches to graphics, sound, and design

It lost me completely with those two quotes.

There already was a Bards Tale IV. It was called Dragon Wars (they kept the BT name until late in the development cycle).

This sounds more like the remake they did several years ago. If so, not interested.

I would consider it more of a spiritual successor to the Bard's Tales series, Like Fallout was for Wasteland. There was a Bard's Tale IV being worked on by EA but of course it was canceled. For more info watch this video from Matt Barton. It starts about 8:05 and was mind blowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AlsOXPz08

Edited by cncfreak

Yeah there never really was a true sequel, it pretty much ended with 'Thief of Fate' which I thought was great but I never finished it. I only finished the first game with with the help of the official clue book. The dungeons weren't as bad as some of the Wizardry games but it was tough. :)

I used to draw the maps on graph paper while playing. These days I can't imagine spending that much time and doing that sort of thing anymore. I knew one guy in school back then who mapped out all the SSI goldbox games...he had the all these graph papers spread out on his floor in his basement taped together. Insane.

I remember this ad in the magazines back in the day.

220px-Ad-TheBardsTale.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah there never really was a true sequel, it pretty much ended with 'Thief of Fate' which I thought was great but I never finished it. I only finished the first game with with the help of the official clue book. The dungeons weren't as bad as some of the Wizardry games but it was tough. :)

I used to draw the maps on graph paper while playing. These days I can't imagine spending that much time and doing that sort of thing anymore. I knew one guy in school back then who mapped out all the SSI goldbox games...he had the all these graph papers spread out on his floor in his basement taped together. Insane.

I remember this ad in the magazines back in the day.

My favorite to map out was Alternate Reality: The Dungeon. It's the only game I could get my sister to play with me. I let her control the character and I mapped as she walked. Good Times.

I picked up a copy of Questron (the original) off Ebay and it came with 10+ maps on graph paper someone had done. They were actually pretty good hehe.

My favorite to map out was Alternate Reality: The Dungeon. It's the only game I could get my sister to play with me. I let her control the character and I mapped as she walked. Good Times.

I picked up a copy of Questron (the original) off Ebay and it came with 10+ maps on graph paper someone had done. They were actually pretty good hehe.

Oh yes I love those games. I never thought about having someone else do the mapping lol

Questron was a cool Ultima clone, I played and beat them all including a game those guys did later called Legacy of the Ancients, one of the coolest endings (for back then) in a video game.

• Like 1

Legend of Grimrock and its sequel I think showed an excellent way of updating a classic first person RPG, so they merely have to look to that for inspiration on how to do a Bard's Tale 4 right.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I liked Might and Magic X: Legacy as well.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

According to Burger Becky Heineman, one of the key programmers of the original series, "I offered to be involved, my offer was declined. Pity. However, Olde Skuul .is working on our own dungeon crawler called "Dragons of the Rip" and it's involving the actual team who did Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars. So, do you want a game by someone who financed Bard's Tale, or by the people who actually MADE Bard's Tale III?"

After reading that, I'm not sure how anyone can actually support this.

According to Burger Becky Heineman, one of the key programmers of the original series, "I offered to be involved, my offer was declined. Pity. However, Olde Skuul .is working on our own dungeon crawler called "Dragons of the Rip" and it's involving the actual team who did Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars. So, do you want a game by someone who financed Bard's Tale, or by the people who actually MADE Bard's Tale III?"

After reading that, I'm not sure how anyone can actually support this.

Bards Tale is and always was Cranford's baby just like Ultima is Richard Garriotts.

Bards Tale III was done by a talented group of people but just because one of them (Bill/Becky) didn't get invited to the party won't make me change my mind about supporting Bards Tale IV.

In fact thanks for the heads up cause I'll be supporting Heineman's too. Who owns Dragon Wars anyway?

just because one of them (Bill/Becky) didn't get invited to the party won't make me change my mind about supporting Bards Tale IV.

You do realize Becky created BT III and wasn't just "one of them". She was also a founding member of Interplay. Intentionally excluding her does not look very good, I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1

You do realize Becky created BT III and wasn't just "one of them". She was also a founding member of Interplay. Intentionally excluding her does not look very good, I'll just leave it at that.

We don't know the details, so no reason to speculate what one side did or didn't do.

• Like 1

@PDog I know she programmed it.....the thing I'm trying to say is that it just doesn't bother me. She can have a beef with Fargo or Cranford or anyone else at InXile, I dont really care. I was a fan of all three games not just Thief of Fate. I'd be happy supporting her stuff too.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone ($20 or more) gets the original games reworked by Becky:

"Some of you may know that the emulated versions of these games work on most modern machines, but are a little rough around the edges. Thus, we have an agreement with the original The Bard’s Tale III programmer Rebecca "Burger" Heineman and her company Olde Sküül to update the games for modern machines! She will be working to make the games run natively, without needing emulators, on PC or Mac. This re-releases will be primarily based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, along with updated art."

Everyone ($20 or more) gets the original games reworked by Becky:

"Some of you may know that the emulated versions of these games work on most modern machines, but are a little rough around the edges. Thus, we have an agreement with the original The Bard’s Tale III programmer Rebecca "Burger" Heineman and her company Olde Sküül to update the games for modern machines! She will be working to make the games run natively, without needing emulators, on PC or Mac. This re-releases will be primarily based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, along with updated art."

Interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with Becky suddenly not responding to a topic I started on the Apple II Facebook page. I mentioned something about the BT3 proto for the IIgs (never released) and she said the game was done, it just needed the artwork. She said that if someone did the artwork it could be easily dropped in. A bunch of people volunteered but she said she was busy with something else so it would have to wait. Then suddenly she stopped responding. Makes me wonder if this agreement has something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^

The NES was full of travesties when it came to ports of popular computer games of the day. Only a few turned out well. I think the worst was SSI's Dragon Strike and Ballblazer. Pirates and Silent Service were pretty good.

I finally backed Bard's Tale 4. Almost too many good Kickstarters right now. My wallet is hurting...lol