IGNORED

Classic Gaming On Twitch?

My old man rant of the day is about not understanding Twitch. I barely have time to consume all the entertainment that I already pay for, including Netflix, Cable, Comics, and oh yeah - a fnckTON of games games games.

Why would I want to sit and watch someone else play a game except to get an initial idea of what the game is like. Even thinking about it makes me feel like I'm wasting time that I could spend doing something I actually want to do. Like play the huge stack of games I own but haven't played.

• Like 2

I never understood watching other people play games either... sure sit around with your buddy(ies) and watch a game, but to go on youtube whatever and watch a stranger play? Particular;y when you have to listen to them drone on like an fool the whole time with 50% of their dialogue being "...uuuuhhhh..." and another 25% being them stating what there doing, I don't need someone to say "uuuuuuhhhh... so I just picked up a yellow key.... uuhhhhhh"; I know you did, I just watched you pick it up!!! And when it comes to finding help/guides for games it's amazing how the written word really is dying, people just film themselves playing nowadays. The FAQ/Walkthru in .TXT format is so much better, I can't CTRL+F a keyword in a 2 hour+ video.

• Like 2

I never understood watching other people play games either... sure sit around with your buddy(ies) and watch a game, but to go on youtube whatever and watch a stranger play? Particular;y when you have to listen to them drone on like an fool the whole time with 50% of their dialogue being "...uuuuhhhh..." and another 25% being them stating what there doing, I don't need someone to say "uuuuuuhhhh... so I just picked up a yellow key.... uuhhhhhh"; I know you did, I just watched you pick it up!!! And when it comes to finding help/guides for games it's amazing how the written word really is dying, people just film themselves playing nowadays. The FAQ/Walkthru in .TXT format is so much better, I can't CTRL+F a keyword in a 2 hour+ video.

I think doing videos (like we do) where there is a purpose and a point can be entertaining. It should be professional, but that's my opinion. I totally agree that most game play videos simply show someone fumbling through what I can only assume is a cave man's first attempt at dialog while playing (badly) through a game.

Twitch seems to be even worse, and half the time the people "playing" are either just messing around or doing something else while they get enough watchers ready for them to play. Heck, in the time I spent waiting for you to eat your sandwich I could have gone to Youtube, looked up the game, and gotten the info I needed!

I know it sounds stereotypical, but with my turning 30 this April, I've noticed these last couple months have revolutionary for me when it comes to my opinions on gaming related things. My tastes have been changing (feeling less connected to modern games for one...), and I have no freakin patience for things like Twitch, which for whatever reason, is all the rage.

Ugh, I feel old....

...where there is a purpose and a point can be entertaining. It should be professional...

Exactly.

Certain game play videos can be great. I'd love to watch a video of someone beating Resident Evil with just a knife, but I'm not gonna slog through all the pathetic attempts at making such a video that YouTube has to find the one that is actually entertaining to watch.

I never understood watching other people play games either... sure sit around with your buddy(ies) and watch a game, but to go on youtube whatever and watch a stranger play?.

Is it a stranger though when you leave comments and interact with them (especially in the case of Twitch where the point is interacting with the host)? :ponder:

Edited by Austin

Is it a stranger though when you leave comments and interact with them (especially in the case of Twitch where the point is interacting with the host)? :ponder:

I interact with people every day that I consider strangers. I consider anyone online I've never met face to face, especially, to be a stranger.

• 5 years later...
On 2/5/2015 at 12:33 AM, DaytonaUSA said:

I interact with people every day that I consider strangers. I consider anyone online I've never met face to face, especially, to be a stranger.

Ever watch 90 Day Fiancé? These people meet someone online and date them for up to a few years before they finally meet. I doubt they consider them strangers lol.

Me personally? I'm in the middle. For the most part, I agree that people I've never met are strangers, but if I talk to them on the phone or FaceTime them, then I no longer consider them strangers. That's just me though.

I really like Erin Plays.  I almost never get to catch her streams live though because I'm asleep 99% of the time she does it, but she uploads them on youtube later.  She's entertaining and I admire how she commits to the games she wants to finish.  I would never have the patience to beat NES Batman or Castlevania III or 100% Yoshi's Island.  I see it as she's doing it so I don't have to.

• Like 1