IGNORED

Atari 400 Memory advice please!

Mamemeister

Chaps, appreciate a spot of help please.

Is the CX853 16K memory cart compatible with the Atari 400 or is it only for the Atari 800?

Thanks in advance.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same board minus the case for the 400. There is a 48K board for the 400, but there is a slight bit of modification that needs to be done for it to fit due to the size. And of course soldering a few wires.

Best Electronics sells both the 16K and 48K boards: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/800.htm

Yes. Obviously you have to open the case on the 400 to replace the board of course. Here is an excerpt from the service manual:

4.3.5 RAM Memory Boards
The ATARI 400 and 800 Computers come equipped with either 8K or 16K
RAM memory boards. The 8K and 16K RAM memory boards are the same
except for the 8K or 16K ememory chips and the addition of connector
jumpers on the 8K RAM memory boards...

Also from the service manual, notice the parts list:

6.2 SPARE PARTS LIST

The following is a list of the minimum spare parts that are to be
maintained at an authorized Service Center:

Description Part No. Quantity

800 Motherboard CAO14829 1
400 Motherboard CAO14807 1
800 Power Supply CAO14171 2
400 Power Supply CAO14155 2
CPU Printed Circuit Board CAO14800 2
lOK ROM Printed Circuit Board CAO14090-01 1
16K RAM Printed Circuit Board CAO14802 2
8K RAM Printed Circuit Board CAO14802 1

No separate board for 800/400 for RAM anyway. Obviously the 800 holds a few more RAM boards than the 400.

• 2 years later...

I third that. Get the 48k board before I buy them all. ;)

Looks like I waited too long - they seem to be all gone. :-)

Has anyone done anything like turn the schematic into a set of gerber files (for a small/cheap PCB run at OSH Park)?

I'm assuming "no" since I haven't found much in the Internet about Atari and making new (cloning existing) PCBs (just the SIO breakout board I found on OSH, and ordered).

I don't have a lot of experience with schematics or drawing circuits - just know enough to import an Eagle file. I'd really love to upgrade this 400 but all the memory kits are gone.

The post linked below has instructions on modifying a stock 16K RAM card to 48kB.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/123207-expanding-the-400/?do=findComment&comment=1488304

Thanks -- saved it to my Google Docs for later...

My own fault, I saw those boards at Best when they were much cheaper, and I didn't get around to making the purchase. Oh well...

• 6 years later...

Is it also possible to ubgrade the atari 400 ram to just 24KB or 32KB WITHOUT the need for soldering wires to the board???

https://www.atarimagazines.com/v2n4/400upgrade.html

It says

‘By April a third version of Mosaic's expansion board (requiring a third printing of its owners manual, identified on the back cover as No. 229D) was already being shipped. This board eliminates messy soldering to the ROM cartridge socket, works in either a 400 or an 800, and, most pleasantly, carries a $50 price reduction to $199.95. The newest manual, with almost twice as many pages, offers more photos and even simpler step-by-step instructions for installation in either computer. The computer must be completely disassembled, exercising great care in lifting the 22-pin socket on the power board from its connector’.

It sort off says ‘Mosaic's expansion board  known  as No. 229D) was already being shipped. This board eliminates messy soldering to the ROM cartridge socket, works in either a 400 or an 800’

if that’s true then i may don’t have to do any soldering right???

but does it only works with 24KB,32KB or also 48KB???

anyway if i could upgrade to 24KB or 32KB without the hassle of soldering,and if homebrew mariobros will work on it that way as well???,then i might considering buying a 32KB expansion module for my atari 400,

would be great in such case.

thanks alot😁