IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

Well, my mind is officially blown! This is fantastic news! Any newly discovered 7800 prototype is a cause for celebration, and even more so when it's a game as awesome as Toki! If and when this becomes available on a cart, I will be purchasing!

The only reason that I can possibly think of was that they might have tried to break into the market for developing countries. Look at the situation with the Sega Master System, which enjoyed an extended run in some parts of the world where more advanced systems were virtually unobtainable to the mass population. (While some countries had the Dreamcast, others still had the Master System.) I could maybe see the 7800 getting a second wind in those markets.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It being dated 1993 and PAL, that would be my guess as well. Sort of akin to how the SMS was continually supported in the UK looooong after it was off the store shelves in the U.S. Granted, I don't think the 7800 enjoyed the same huge popularity the SMS did there, but I could see Atari aiming for a similar longevity.

Wow, nice comparison. Though sheesh you'd think they could make it look better than the Lynx version. Glad to hear a release is forthcoming.

How so? After all, the Lynx is quite a bit more powerful than the 7800, and Toki on Lynx is a very good version.

Actually, I find the 7800 port quite impressive in its own right judging from the pictures.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 2

mentions genesis...back to your room son the grownups are talking..

Right? Because people only play the systems you approve. You need to grow up.

I have nothing but positive things to say about this port. Now if only someone ported Escape from the Planet of Robot Monsters to consoles.

• Like 1

Right? Because people only play the systems you approve. You need to grow up.

I have nothing but positive things to say about this port. Now if only someone ported Escape from the Planet of Robot Monsters to consoles.

Just insulting you.. like how you insulted these people that found this long lost 7800 game and was trying to suggest its a modern day made up game..

You think if someone made a game like this today they would like to take credit for their work with all the time and effort that would be required. I just thought your a punk kid trolling out. Now here is some immature..bite me!!

Sure. What I mean is: it doesn't matter whether this is an old ROM that was recovered or whether someone ported it recently, it is another Atari game and it is Toki for goodness sakes--a solid platformer.

Wow. Please read thread before making moronic assumptions about how this is a recently made port. It is what they say it is.

Just insulting you.. like how you insulted these people that found this long lost 7800 game and was trying to suggest its a modern day made up game..

You think if someone made a game like this today they would like to take credit for their work with all the time and effort that would be required. I just thought your a punk kid trolling out. Now here is some immature..bite me!!

Should I meter my thoughts because some are so irascible? I am not trying to insult anyone. I believe this discussion is shifting the focus of the thread. If you have more statements about this, send me a private message.

Sure. What I mean is: it doesn't matter whether this is an old ROM that was recovered or whether someone ported it recently, it is another Atari game and it is Toki for goodness sakes--a solid platformer.

Gotcha, I was just wondering why you would think that someone ported it recently and pretended it to be the real deal, found on Atari equipment bought off of ebay many years ago.

BTW, Toki does not use the address space at $4000, it has been confirmed. No RAM/ROM or POKEY in the 16K between $4000-$7FFF.

Should I meter my thoughts because some are so irascible? I am not trying to insult anyone. I believe this discussion is shifting the focus of the thread. If you have more statements about this, send me a private message.

Yes you are 100% this is about the game they found. Sorry to derail!! I never understood you till now. Stupid me..

Is this a two player game? By looking at the screen shots with two scores etc. it looks like it may be?

Yes but not simultaneously. Although I haven't tested it that thoroughly, it does not appear that the progress of one player has any effect on the other. So if player one reaches a checkpoint near the end of the game player two may still be at a checkpoint near the beginning after player one dies.

post-3404-0-09967800-1422679114_thumb.png

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

Agent X, on 29 Jan 2015 - 9:00 PM, said:

The only reason that I can possibly think of was that they might have tried to break into the market for developing countries. Look at the situation with the Sega Master System, which enjoyed an extended run in some parts of the world where more advanced systems were virtually unobtainable to the mass population. (While some countries had the Dreamcast, others still had the Master System.) I could maybe see the 7800 getting a second wind in those markets.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It being dated 1993 and PAL, that would be my guess as well. Sort of akin to how the SMS was continually supported in the UK looooong after it was off the store shelves in the U.S. Granted, I don't think the 7800 enjoyed the same huge popularity the SMS did there, but I could see Atari aiming for a similar longevity.

Is it at least possible that we're all over thinking this & it might just be much simpler than all this? Like the programmers simply put the wrong copyright on the title screen?

The arcade game is from 1989. The Nintendo NES & Sega Genesis versions are from 1991. The Atari Lynx version is from 1992. Why would the 7800 version be from 1993?

It really seems nonsensical.

And by the way, was anything found in the rom header or elsewhere on the hard drive that can indicate or confirm the CX7893 part number?

Is it at least possible that we're all over thinking this & it might just be much simpler than all this? Like the programmers simply put the wrong copyright on the title screen?

And by the way, was anything found in the rom header or elsewhere on the hard drive that can indicate or confirm the CX7893 part number?

Not likely in terms of a wrong copyright date based on a Digital Press Collector's Guide I own.

The owner of the Atari Protos website, Atariage's own Tempest even mentioned on his site that Atari decided to discontinue developing Atari 7800 games in early 1993. Having games programed in early 1993 would make sense since Atari stopped Atari 7800 development in that year. Tempest mentioned that on the Pit Fighter page on his site. The Rampart entry on his site even mentioned 1993 internal memos that the there is more completed version of the game out there.

The Digital press guide has an Atari 7800 Rumor Mill section. The guide mentioned that Atari actually had had 2 Atari internal document dated 5/12/93 and 5/14/93 about Atari 7800 games, cost of them, and where in development they are in. Someone gave Digital Press information of 2 internal Documents in 1993 since small amount of the documents were printed in rumor game Entrees in the DP Collector's guide since it was quoted as a source.

The DP Collector's Guide gave bits of information of the of the 5/14/93 document.Toki actually was mentioned on the 5/14/93 document and the even mentioned the cost for Toki being 9,000 lbs. UK does use lbs as currency. Toki wasn't the only game having an internal document for 5/14/93 for the Atari 7800. The other games was Road Riot 4wd, Rampart, Pit Fighter, and Klax. Steel Talons was on a 5/12/93 document.

All I gathered was small amount of 5/12/93 internal document printed in the guide mentioned that Atari Management made the decision to stop Atari 7800 development at this time. The 5/14/93 document even mention an agreement on cost for Rampart,and Pitfighter for canceling the 2 games, The other 3 games from the 5/14/93 had a full price of game development cost.

Why would Atari have Internal documents dated 5/12/93 and 5/14/93 on Atari 7800 games if Toki or any Atari 7800 game wasn't being worked on in early 1993?

Edited by 8th lutz