IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

I can't do that, I don't have a PAL monitor or system. I don't do emulators.

I could record it running on NTSC hardware, with the glitches, but I am not all that interested in spending time on it.

I can do a video , if provided the rom :)

or is that taboo :spidey:

Edited by sodarun

I just learned about this from the new 7800 Game By Game Podcast & came here to read up on it. Such awesome news! :) Amazing that here in 2015, discoveries are still being made! The 1993 date is mindblowing too! :-o

Real heartwarming to see the existence of another platformer & again makes me think what a damn shame it is as far as what more could have been with the 7800 if it had better fortune :woozy:

I've never saw the arcade or any other ports of it, but got the Lynx version recently & it is a pretty fun but challenging game. Haven't played it a whole lot, but hearing about this makes me want to go pick up my Lynx soon & spend some more time on it haha

Edited by Stevaside
  • Like 2

I can't do that, I don't have a PAL monitor or system. I don't do emulators.

I could record it running on NTSC hardware, with the glitches, but I am not all that interested in spending time on it.

You could drive down to my place and take the video, I have a PAL 7800 and monitor. It's only a two hour drive or so, one way... :P

Mitch

• Like 2

I have updated the Toki page with information from this thread. Nothing you can't learn here, just some highlights for people who want to catch up. May need to refresh once or twice if you already visited (my browser catches the site / style sheet and doesn't like to let it go!).

Quick question concerning the 'as of yet unannounced title". Unannounced that it ever existed? Unknown to the community? Announced as a coming soon title back in the day and never seen the day of light? And what system was it unannounced for? Lynx, 7800 etc.

As mentioned to Shaggy a page or two back, it was a title that we possess but have not announced yet! Atari announced the game but it was cancelled. It is a Lynx game. And it's not that exciting, a version of it has already been released, ours is just slightly further along.

I had fun playing the Lynx version back in the day.

Quick question: someone said the last level was missing. Does the game still have the end credits if you beat the second-to-last stage, or does the game just freeze/stop? Curious. even if not beatable, I would love to have this. I only ever got to halfway the third level in Toki Lynx.

After you finish the last boss in this game, there is an ending sequence.

Great find! I had to do a quick mock-up box :)

That mockup looks great, probably what it would've looked like had it been released on the 7800! It's also one of my favorite cover variations for Toki. I know Atari also lifted the cover for Dinolympics for the Jaguar version of Evolution Dino Dudes.

And Willard, thanks for the info on the other unannounced thing. With the new LCD replacements for the Lynx out there, my interest is kicking back up for that anyways. Either way, its still a good time to be an Atarian.

I contacted McWill about the replacement LCD already myself! The LCD replacement / VGA Out combo is really cool and makes things a little more interesting for the Lynx. Nice to be able to play it on the TV but still control it with a lynx (vs playing an emu with a keyboard or something) for a more authentic feel.

Very interesting... but why in the world were they still working on Atari 7800 game development over 2 1/4 years after releasing their last game for the system (Sentinel, in early 1991) and effectively discontinuing it? That makes no sense... but this is Atari, so I'll believe it anyway. :P

The SMS sold about 2 million in North America going by the best-known estimates, while the 7800 sold 3.8 million or so. Atari sold almost twice what Sega did, it wasn't close.

It would make a little more sense if Atari were trying to preserve their market share by carrying over 7800 owners to the Jaguar (I'm sure Atari would've loved to sell as many Jaguars as 7800's!). But there was such a gap that I agree it's weird they planned to just spontaneously release these games. Maybe it would've been wise for the Tramiels to try and continue 7800 development until the Jaguar came out, or perhaps the 7800 would've taken a pretty bad beating and it would've been more harm than good.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

You could drive down to my place and take the video, I have a PAL 7800 and monitor. It's only a two hour drive or so, one way... :P

Mitch

Mitch, I am sure that Willard would give you the BIN, if you ask. I mean seriously, if you don't trust Mitch with 7800 ANYTHING, it just ends up in FAIL.

Razzing, Willard. Check out who released the M.I.A. prototype. ;)

• Like 1

I'm still struggling to get ,my head around that Copyright 1993 date, in terms of this:

Just what were Atari thinking?.If you look at UK scene, years earlier you'd seen Atari try and basically fail, to drum up support for the XEGS, Atari UK could 'encourage' developers to convert ST games to the XEGS all they like, but as likes of Andrew Hewson said, to many it seemed a backwards step, they were'nt interested, so any planned (budget?) re-launch of the 7800 here would have met with similar results.

Plus you had numerous UK publishers saying they were'nt interested in developing for the NES, by time it arrived here, as it'd missed the boat in effect and instead were busy with ST, Amiga prrojects, looking to sign up potential deals with Sega for MD development etc.

Then there's the claim in The Games Machine that Atari gave dealers a 2600 FREE with Every Atari ST they bought-No idea IF this is true, but it leads me think/speculate somewhat....

Lets assume TGM claim was true (many of theirs was sadly not, cough Druid II A8 claims..) and Atari were giving dealers a 2600 for FREE with every ST, might they have considered doing the same, but with the 7800? maybe as a 'sweetner' to help people stock the Jaguar or Falcon or whatever they wanted to help get in stores and thus dust off existing projects like Toki?.

Utter fantasty world thinking on my part, but there seems no logic to why such a flagship game would be around so late in the 7800's life, it's one of those stories i'm itching to know more on the thinking behind...

Reading some of these replies....

8 bit systems had longer life spans over seas. Problem solved. NES and SMS were still huge long after they were dead in the US. Not hard to comprehend. Atari was obviously still around and trying to ride the same success that nintendo and Sega saw in Europe. Internal documents dated in 93 mention "pounds" as currency.

Ask yourself why Sega Saturn and Dreamcast both died in 97 and 2001 in the west and survived until 2001 and 2009 respectively elsewhere. Different regions have different tastes.

Weird how so many people are flabbergasted about the 1993 date. It was either a mistake and meant to say 92 or was in fact made in 93 and would be one of the final games released if not the final game released, period. Yeah 7800 was pretty much dead a year or so after release, only because the selection of games was lacking compared to NES and looming global release of genesis.

This is a PAL game. Why ask something stupid like " why make this 2 years after 7800 died?" It obviously wasn't made to be played in the west where the 7800 did die 2 years prior. There was also the dead give away of the rom itself being PAL.

Master system was still going strong in 97 in some parts of the world. Just because death struck your region does not mean it struck death everywhere.

Discussion has gone on long enough. CASE CLOSED, if people are still looking for answers.

Now an ntsc cart release as well as PAL, that's something we need to be talking about.

Well, for myself, who's still very much learning about the UK/European side of the 7800, case is still very much open.

Atari UK could never seem to give actual sales figures for just the 7800, it, along with the market share Atari had, console wise was always for the 2600+7800 combined.
I've still no idea just how much truth there was in claims of team of Ex-Imagine coders being contracted to develop X amounts of games a year.If so:which coders, working on what games? and how far along did they get?.
Then you've Paul Glancey in C+VG lookat hardware with claims of Technocop, Elimanator etc headed 7800 way.
The last 7800 aricle i read in Retrogamer magazine (when i was still a subscriber) contained more quotes out of context, odd technical comparisons etc than answers :-)
Raze seemed to think Turrican would be shown running etc etc.
So i've lots to try and answer, 7800 wise.
Out of interest where, Pal wise did the 7800 continue to do well and what level of software support (and from whom) did it recieve?

Stressing the fact that this game was indeed made in 92 atleast and that Atari was still very much in business in that region long after the 7800 was dead in the US. Shutting down one members theory that this game was made today as homebrew and there was no way Atari made it in 93.

I also believe electro cop and all the other canceled releases the west would never see were completed and planned as PAL only releases. I think they are floating around somewhere on an old hardrive. Or they could be lost forever.

Jaguar was on the horizon and Toki, electro cop, steel talon were all shelved never to be released. If Toki was found, it's only a matter of time before others start poppin up complete or near complete.

Wow this is something!

This really shows that the power of the 7800 when it was in its prime was never close to being fully tapped. This Toki Port looks great, and I am sure it plays quite well. I am sure it also has minumal if any sprite flicker like the NES version. I am super excited to see this come to life/lite.

The 7800 could have kept right up with the NES if they had the 3rd party support as well has having more then just TIA sound (with the exception of commando and ballblazer) We all know this could have been :)

Anyway, how does the SFX and BGM sound?

To whom ever captured this and is sharing this with all of us, thank you! I know a lot of prototype owners love to share their finding and while a small few find it nessasary to not share their findings (I cannot fault them for it as they probably spent good money to get these items) is just a bummer.

Again Thank you for sharing and like others have said and posted, So looking forward to putting some money on a physical cart!

• Like 1

Hi Willard

and if the game cannot be converted to NTSC,just release it on PAL.....Equal,what happens...

i want a cart ;)

greetings Walter

Now now. Not everyone emulates and many people collect NTSC. I may go on the record saying if it gets a cart release, it will generate a whole lot more sales as an NTSC game. People who are members on this forum do have the technical skill to convert the games.