IGNORED

Toki Prototype For 7800 Discovered!

Willard

21 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

What if, someone found this proto and actually tried to figured out how the code works, but can't and just decides to give it to someone else for RevEng (pun intended).  Would you want that person to turn it into freeware, because I was in a coma for 3 years?

IMG-7176.JPG

What's not to figure out? Obviously this is a VR Helmet interface.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

What's not to figure out? Obviously this is a VR Helmet interface.

I see the 7800 BIOS has a ZIF socket on it so you can swap in other BIOS programs easily. Aside from that I see what looks like a Pi or Arduino like thing with another board strapped to the top of it that looks to use the same 8x8 LED matrix display that was used in the YM2017 Genesis cartridges as a VMU?

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I see the 7800 BIOS has a ZIF socket on it so you can swap in other BIOS programs easily. Aside from that I see what looks like a Pi or Arduino like thing with another board strapped to the top of it that looks to use the same 8x8 LED matrix display that was used in the YM2017 Genesis cartridges as a VMU?

The BIOS adapter also has dip switches, so I can quickly switch between them.  I currently have standard and 3 custom BIOS'es on the EPROM.  One of them is written to flash (cart BIOS) MCP carts, or program (user area) them.

The bottom board is a relay array, that controls every button of the 7800, the LED is infrared and controls my CRT, all of it runs via WiFi and is Alexa controlled.  No Arduino or Pi involved.  The 8x8 matrix is just for fun, because it fit perfectly, displays running dots, until connected to WiFi. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

The bottom board is a relay array, that controls every button of the 7800, the LED is infrared and controls my CRT, all of it runs via WiFi and is Alexa controlled.  No Arduino or Pi involved.  The 8x8 matrix is just for fun, because it fit perfectly, displays running dots, until connected to WiFi. :)

"Alexa, locate Willard's online and real-world presence".

"Willard is unable to be found on Earth or even in this galaxy. Rian Johnson banished him to live the rest of his life as a cranky hermit on Ahch-to."

"Alexa, release the Toki 7800 ROM online then".  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

"Alexa, locate Willard's online and real-world presence".

"Willard is unable to be found on Earth or even in this galaxy. Rian Johnson banished him to live the rest of his life as a cranky hermit on Ahch-to."

"Alexa, release the Toki 7800 ROM online then".  :)

:-)) sore subject there.

Came home after Xmas break to find we now have one of these damn devices in the living room..

I want to throw a blanket over it :-)) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Came home after Xmas break to find we now have one of these damn devices in the living room..

Most devices already have the mics and cameras active. Why do you need another HAL 9000? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

How Edison Carter of you. Is Network 23 giving you a bad holiday break?  May I suggest changing the channel to Big Time Television instead?  :)

• Haha 1

Again - only interested in seein Toki for what the 7800 can do, but anyone else than the starter if the thread that ever had access to this program-file?

Afterthought,

What would Atari loose in old-schooly-people still being interested and having fun with the 7800 console?

Edited by Giles N

Where is the hard-drive now?

(actually, not so much the hard-drive itself as the ‘TOKI’-files?

Still only interested in any of the TOKI-stuff, to see what the 7800 was/is capable of... (technically)

Edited by Giles N

5 hours ago, Giles N said:

Still only interested in any of the TOKI-stuff, to see what the 7800 was/is capable of... (technically)

Although demonstrating what was at least possible, seeing one developer's take on TOKI does not definitively show what the 7800 was/is capable of technically. 

For example, the two baseball games on the 7800.  Granted, neither are worth writing home about. 

Nonetheless, here is "RealSports Baseball".  Below the pitching, infield, and outfield view is shown.  ROM size is 64 KB:

0000.png.3f2d571cbf0e61bc406a7389b1355877.png

A one screen game that plays pretty lousy. 

Here is "Pete Rose Baseball".  Below the pitching, infield, and outfield views are shown. ROM size is 32 KB:

0003.png.8756d0167efbd14c1f0ffa207799c6e3.png0002.png.3e3ae3db61c6fc82fb431fc89fe4d551.png0001.png.a891b29c4a11c83df2d2255e52ebe21c.png

At half the ROM size of RealSports Baseball, not only does the game look much better, it plays better too.

Developer abilities along with provided resources and situations (Which were often unfavorable for the 7800), factor heavily into the final game product.

In the case of TOKI, it was not even a final product yet.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Trebor said:

Although demonstrating what was at least possible, seeing one developer's take on TOKI does not definitively show what the 7800 was/is capable of technically. 

In the case of TOKI, it was not even a final product yet.

Have you tried the TOKI, uhm, demo or half-game?

What I meant was, it would a platformer with several elements not so much represented on the 7800.

I wouldn’t have a clue whether it ‘pushed’ the system or not...

It just so happens to not be that many scrolling platformers on the system...

Anyway, I don’t really have any relation to the game as I’ve never played any version.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 2:36 AM, Giles N said:

I was more curious what the 7800 could pull off or something like that.

?

On 1/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, Giles N said:

Again - only interested in seein Toki for what the 7800 can do...

?

14 hours ago, Giles N said:

?

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

What I meant was, it would a platformer with several elements not so much represented on the 7800.

? Thanks for clarifying. 

Hopefully, Willard will make an appearance and/or respond so forward progress towards a release will come to fruition.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Trebor said:

?

?

?

? Thanks for clarifying. 

Hopefully, Willard will make an appearance and/or respond so forward progress towards a release will come to fruition.

Yup, I should have used more precise words.

Curious to see if/whether TOKI would do stuff not seen, or not used,in other games from  official era (when Atari supported it).

Does it have multidirectional scrolling in a platformer-environment?

Parallaxes?

Many or few sprites on m-screen?

How many colours?

What resolution?

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

?

?

?

? Thanks for clarifying. 

Anyway - if you are the Trebor of ‘Trebors Stuff’ on YouTube, I found this ... 

...not the same as hands-on, but gives me an idea...

... it seems a bit awkard and stiff, with annoying BGM, but who knows what it should have been like, if completed and playtested properly...?

Still, doesn’t seem to do anything in particular not done on other 7800 games...

... but besides later Homebrews, it would have provided another platform-game to the system...

Edited by Giles N
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Still, doesn’t seem to do anything in particular not done on other 7800 games...

Toki is a unique game in the 7800 library, it combines horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, some background tiles in 160B / 12 colors, large sprites, different end-of-level Bosses and more. It is also quite impressive considering that development time and resources have been rather limited.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

... it seems a bit awkard and stiff, with annoying BGM, but who knows what it should have been like, if completed and playtested properly...?

The game is incomplete so theoretically there is room for improvement but obviously, in current circumstances, a game update really doesn't interest us. Either way, you can satisfy your curiosity by taking a look at these old mockups:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/234406-toki-prototype-for-7800-discovered/?do=findComment&comment=3361679

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 9:04 PM, Defender_2600 said:

The game is incomplete so theoretically there is room for improvement but obviously, in current circumstances, a game update really doesn't interest us. Either way, you can satisfy your curiosity by taking a look at these old mockups:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/234406-toki-prototype-for-7800-discovered/?do=findComment&comment=3361679

I almost feel that since the game was still in a state of development and not finished, why should we be content with the placeholder graphics that the prototype has?  I doubt that most people would feel that the music that is present is at an acceptable standard for a cartridge release, so why not update the graphics also and make the cart release something really worth acquiring (rather than just a historical curiosity)?  And for all these reasons, I would prefer a released version to have completely updated sprites and backgrounds done by you, provided that you have the time for and interest in such a project.  ;-)

Edited by NostAlgae37
left out a word
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:01 PM, Defender_2600 said:

Toki is a unique game in the 7800 library, it combines horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, some background tiles in 160B / 12 colors, large sprites, different end-of-level Bosses and more. It is also quite impressive considering that development time and resources have been rather limited.

I'm amazed the whole game is there from start to finish with everything you mentioned while still staying within 128k and no extra ram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

The NTSC version needs more space (extra work and code needed), so it is 144K.  I am sure RevEng is just as disappointed as me and others, but we are not releasing it.

Besides the lost work of programmers and investment, I doesn't bother me much. Between the nice Arcade graphics and the NES version and Genesis remake with extra levels, I get a pretty good fill of Toki. 7800 version would be cool, but not nearly as bad a missing out on an original game never played before that hits a brick wall.

• Like 3